IGNORED

Webster

cidercity

Van Dijk nearly 28 years old.............75mill         Adam Webster .....just 24 last month...........if he should continue his progress, he will eventually command the biggest fee in City's history, but  surely and hopefully, not for quite sometime.

I’m gonna call it......he’ll play for England one day. Yes I think he’s that good. If his development continues and he stays fit.

Enjoy him while we can, he won’t be hear long regardless if we’re promoted or not. Bigger clubs will come calling for sure.

Wonderful player to watch - especially the way he glides forward so effortlessly with the ball. His defending is superb too. I loved that sliding tackle he did today in the first half near the South Stand when he showed a great turn of pace to get there in time.

He just makes it all look so easy, whether it's defensive headers, sliding tackles, or better runs, long passes or through balls than any of our midfielders. 

If he hasn't figured on the radar of any Premier a League team yet, it is definitely our gain, because on current form he is a match for Stones and Maguire. And that's not the drink talking!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s so good I honestly am not sure which foot he favours.

I’ve said the same before, I think he’s right footed. But I wouldn’t bet my house on it! How he switches play with either foot is not something you see often from a midfielder, let alone a centre half! Class act. COYR 

12 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I’ve said the same before, I think he’s right footed. But I wouldn’t bet my house on it! How he switches play with either foot is not something you see often from a midfielder, let alone a centre half! Class act. COYR 

I wonder whether a prem Club might even look at him as a holding midfielder

I know when AW came to City, alot of Ipswich fans were unhappy to see him go, but alot also considered it a good price for a player they had labelled injury prone. Hopefully he seems to have got over that period, and we have a steal, even at an eventual 8 mill.

30 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I wonder whether a prem Club might even look at him as a holding midfielder

I’m sure he could play it, he has the ability. But some players like everything in front of them, he might well be one of those. I certainly think he is Premiership bound if he carries on like this. Noticed that LJ said in his interview that he told the club Flint could go, but only happy with that if Webster came in. Great spot if true, cause I cannot recall hearing his name mentioned before as being good, let alone this good. His price will be going up & up! COYR 

59 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

He just makes it all look so easy, whether it's defensive headers, sliding tackles, or better runs, long passes or through balls than any of our midfielders. 

If he hasn't figured on the radar of any Premier a League team yet, it is definitely our gain, because on current form he is a match for Stones and Maguire. And that's not the drink talking!

I think the drink is talking!  

You cannot compare Webster with any top class centre back in the prem,.

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Him and Kalas are both absolutely superb.

Easily the best centre half partnership I’ve seen at City.

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would have to go with Gary Collier and Sir Geoff but these 2 are certainly up there. 

Could not agree more, Webster & Kalas are the best centre back pairing we have had since Collier & Merrick, i.e. in over 40 years!

4 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I think Webster and Kalas complement each other so well and without doubt the best pairing in the championship. The both of them ooze class and it would be fantastic if we could get Kalas in the summer.

Could not agree more.

I know on OTIB we have a very mixed bag when it comes to spending BIG MONEY but it's no frigging secret that we have the 2nd best defensive record at the moment because of Webster (fair play LJ, bloody masterstroke signing) and Kalas primarily. Lets use the word QUALITY here.

Chuck in Baker(never ever thought he'd now only be good enough for the bench most of the time) and Kelly, Silva, Wright, Hunt, Pisano.

So, IMO we should be pulling out all the stops to make Kalas (QUALITY) our biggest ever signing.

He'll never make it with all due respect in Chelsea's first team (likewise D Silva & K Palmer, lets sign them as well please as they both can't seem to stop smiling on the after game Videos) and after his performances this season (even after getting decked by Marley) he's going to be snapped up without a shadow of a doubt if we don't act now/soon (hopefully we've talked to him and Chelsea already) or at the end of the season. OK, he might not want to stay, if so there is not a lot we can do about that, but at least bloody try!

I know we have our FFP Police on here but does it stop Villa?

With him and Webster the best defensive center back paring in the Championship (completely agree CC ED) by a country mile, It's the difference between talking shite and not getting to the Premiership and actually doing something to make it a possibility.

I''m over the moon tonight being in 6th but the thought of missing out this season, and then next season (hopefully the club isn't asleep) being without Kalas, Silva, K Palmer, and maybe Pack/Brownhill/Kelly (maybe even Webster god forbid) if we do another clear out to Balance the books, we'll be back to looking over out shoulders again to that god awful L1 Trap door, and if so what is the bloody point of all this ??

2 hours ago, Jacky Boy said:

I think the drink is talking!  

You cannot compare Webster with any top class centre back in the prem,.

There are a lot of Premiership central defenders that aren't that great. Quite a few of them play for Arsenal. And which other English central defenders can you name better than Webster with the exception of Stones & Maguire? Gomez maybe, but other than that who else? Mee? Tarkowski? Tomkins? Ake?? It's pretty slim pickings tbh.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With Kalas and Webster purring

And Seeing Britt Assombalonga match winning cameo today and think .......would have been the icing on the cake 

( Not taking away from the team or performance - if 5hey play like tha5 for rest of season we are going to be in a mix for something )

Please excuse me, been out for a few beers post dry January. Your post is my nagging doubt Bob. Maybe Assombalonga was beyond us, but should we have strengthened up front? I guess we are going to find out between now and May.

This isn't a 'pop' at anyone btw, just a concern of mine post window. 

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Looks effortless for him. Replaced the irreplaceable Flint.

Love Flinty, anyone who thinks he was irreplaceable as a defender has never played. I do remember his goals, I remember the goal clearances, loved the headed one at the Etihad etc...

But, as others have said Webby and Kalas are in a totally different league, Flint has grafted hard, improved and to a degree excelled, but the two we have now are naturally blessed.

Great scouting and negotiation to get W&K here.

The big question for me is if I were Lee and I had a budget of £10-15 in the summer would I spend the majority of it on Kalas or spend it elsewhere. I think I’d be investing my money at the other end and let our skipper play on the right side.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Please excuse me, been out for a few beers post dry January. Your post is my nagging doubt Bob. Maybe Assombalonga was beyond us, but should we have strengthened up front? I guess we are going to find out between now and May.

This isn't a 'pop' at anyone btw, just a concern of mine post window. 

Lees quotes re BA are interesting when asked

We were prepared to invest in quality additions but it became clear that they weren’t going to be available and the reference to events / food chain etc - waiting for dominos to move / fall etc etc

Suggested we had our eye on some ‘quality’ although no names obviously mentioned 

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My mate said that Webster’s playing style reminds him of Alan Hansen. I could think of no higher praise ... and I think he’s right!

Crikey, that's some accolade but I can see it, ball playing centre half that doesn't seem to be found wanting in the physical stuff. Everything seems easy to the bloke, Collier was similar. Whatever, Webster is some player and Ashton , at Johnson's request (see, I praised LJ) did damn well to get him. 

2 minutes ago, zombie said:

Love Flinty, anyone who thinks he was irreplaceable as a defender has never played. I do remember his goals, I remember the goal clearances, loved the headed one at the Etihad etc...

But, as others have said Webby and Kalas are in a totally different league, Flint has grafted hard, improved and to a degree excelled, but the two we have now are naturally blessed.

Great scouting and negotiation to get W&K here.

The big question for me is if I were Lee and I had a budget of £10-15 in the summer would I spend the majority of it on Kalas or spend it elsewhere. I think I’d be investing my money at the other end and let our skipper play on the right side.

I’d buy Kalas !

Massive massive fan and admirer of Flint and had him in my all time City top six centre halves

Fair play - both Webster and Kalas would squeeze him out 

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

I know when AW came to City, alot of Ipswich fans were unhappy to see him go, but alot also considered it a good price for a player they had labelled injury prone. Hopefully he seems to have got over that period, and we have a steal, even at an eventual 8 mill.

Will only reach 4.5 unless we get to the prem

Archived