IGNORED

Automatic

Bristolded1987

I think it's great that a new poster/newbie comes on here with such a positive outlook. Refreshing so cheers to the OP.

My take on all things OTIB is that when we win a fair few we are world beaters with a Manager who deserves a lifetime contract but then we lose a fair few and we have the owner's love child poison dwarf killing our club.

We are Bristol City where it is possible to to achieve the impossible but only very very very rarely . Best keep our feet on the ground and celebrate that we ain't getting relegated this seasonand still heading in the right direction.

Well done all.

I thinks it's achievable and I have been saying this to friends/family for a little while. If we can keep up a good run of form, and hope the championship does what it does best with other contenders all beating each other, with that bit of luck on our side, its there for the taking imo.

The South American football expert on Radio 5live said just over a week ago that the Leeds manager burns his teams out. They don't last the season. We discovered that last season with a similar high press. He reckoned that if they were still top by the end of February they might well do it, but he couldn't see it and believed by the end of February they would be out of the auto places. Well, it is the start of February and they are no longer table toppers! They looked tired v Norwich who were quicker to the ball.

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

We agree quite often Bob,also with this..

It's not impossible,but that's all..

I think 6th is a tough ask still but looking definitely possible

Lots or pressure on most of the top 6 or 7 clubs 

Not us

I like our organisation and I really like the vibe I get amongst the squad.....

Lee should be thinking , I’ve earnt a free run at this Now............

I suppose anything is possible. Equally, we have 17 games left, and that includes every team from 1st to 11th. It’s a very tough ask, even if we were level with them. Beat 11th and 67 points and I can not really have many complaints.

Having said that, not to say not starting to dream a little!

50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hard for Leeds to maintain the way they play. If we find ourselves 7 points behind them then why can't we get top two? Will be hard but we look better than everyone we face at the moment. 7 points is not a huge amount really.

If we win our game in hand and beat Leeds at home on 9th March, I guess it is plausible.

We also have Norwich away on 23rd Feb for a real test of our credentials. 

With the points the joint leaders have so far  which is less the 2 per game, we would need possibly at least 90 points for auto, which leaves us a task of reaping 43 points from 17 games a maximum of 51 available, if we extended this winning run promotion would be in the bag by Easter.?

OR to take it to the line we can only afford to drop 8 points say 2 losses and a draw, possible but one helluva ask.

10 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The South American football expert on Radio 5live said just over a week ago that the Leeds manager burns his teams out. They don't last the season. We discovered that last season with a similar high press. He reckoned that if they were still top by the end of February they might well do it, but he couldn't see it and believed by the end of February they would be out of the auto places. Well, it is the start of February and they are no longer table toppers! They looked tired v Norwich who were quicker to the ball.

A mate of mine has been saying just this for a few weeks, but he usually talks absolute shit so I've been ignoring him. Wonders will never cease

• Admin

The game in hand is away at Boro by the way so more likely the gap is 9 or 10 points once we've played it.

Despite saying that, I do think we will continue to get stronger as the season goes on, completely at odds with how 17/18 planned out and if we did keep this form up we'd at least give ourselves a chance.

Very unlikely but a small chance, the only way I can see it happening is if we keep this run going and close the gap as much as possible between Leeds and Norwich before we play them (which we play both in 4-5 weeks time) and then beating both of them.

Incredible ask.

However, I for one am just going to enjoy watching us battle with the 'big clubs' to grab a play off place.  With the way we are playing we are certainly capable of finishing in the play offs and making one of those big clubs miss out.

I think the next big test is not necessarily any one game, but the next defeat. How we bounce back will be telling, after a series of losing runs over the past few years , how we bounce back from the next inevitable loss will go some way towards showing how/if we've changed. 
I don't see this current team going on one of those runs , but until we lose, who knows?
You only have to look at the table and see us one place above FLDC ( ©️ ) , to see how hard it will be. Add Villa and Hull who would expect to be in the mix come the end, I think playoff's would be an achievement .

Top 2 is in sight and achievable with the amount of games. No reason to suggest we can’t until it’s mathmatically impossible.

Worth mentioning that many would’ve written/laughed off playoff chances 10 games ago. I obviously didn’t based on the same logic, this being points were there for the taking, as they always are throughout the season.

Not rocket science really ?

My opinion in this case is based on mathematical possibility, not probability.

And in my opinion, if you’re writing off Bristol City’s chances of top two now, then you’re a ******* plank ?

City have a far worse goal difference than the top 4 clubs so, even if we win the game in hand, it would require an extra 8 points to get into the automatic promotion places. Lack of goals is the problem. City hasn’t got anyone in the top 20 goal scorers in the Championship 

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Top 2 is in sight and achievable with the amount of games. No reason to suggest we can’t until it’s mathmatically impossible.

Worth mentioning that many would’ve written/laughed off playoff chances 10 games ago. I obviously didn’t based on the same logic, this being points were there for the taking, as they always are throughout the season.

Not rocket science really ?

My opinion in this case is based on mathematical possibility, not probability.

And in my opinion, if you’re writing off Bristol City’s chances of top two now, then you’re a ******* plank ?

Ok.then:

I'm a length of oak and choose to mate with a length of mahogany.

Meanwhile we can win the FA Cup- also a mathematical possibility but still won't happen.

?

• Admin
28 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

City have a far worse goal difference than the top 4 clubs so, even if we win the game in hand, it would require an extra 8 points to get into the automatic promotion places. Lack of goals is the problem. City hasn’t got anyone in the top 20 goal scorers in the Championship 

Leeds +16

City +8

In the scenario described, to close that gap requires us to beat Boro away with our game in hand. Given their strength let's say a 1 goal win.

City +9

The gap would then be 7 points so we would need to win 3 games whilst Leeds draw 2, lose 1 so again let's say Leeds only lose that game by 1 goal.

Leeds +15

We would need to win those three games by a margin of 7 goals to overtake them on GD. 

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but I dont think they are so far ahead of us on GD that should we catch their points tally, GD would be irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ok.then:

I'm a length of oak and choose to mate with a length of mahogany.

Meanwhile we can win the FA Cup- also a mathematical possibility but still won't happen.

?

Why is there a mathematical possibility we’ll win the FA Cup? Totally disregards what I meant. Not a points related competition. I referred to mathematical possibility being that as long as we can pick up enough points in the league, there’s always a chance.

But yes, if you’re in the cup, then there’s always a possibility of winning it, though I’d say much less of a chance due to the Premiership teams left in it.

?

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Why is there a mathematical possibility we’ll win the FA Cup? Totally disregards what I meant. Not a points related competition. I referred to mathematical possibility being that as long as we can pick up enough points in the league, there’s always a chance.

But yes, if you’re in the cup, then there’s always a possibility of winning it, though I’d say much less of a chance due to the Premiership teams left in it.

?

Everything is possible until its not.

Your point was that anyone writing off our chances of automatic promotion was a ******* plank.

I then admitted to this as I most certainly have written off our chances of auto prom even whilst still mathematically possible.

It's mathematically still possible for us to be relegated and I've written that off too.

19 hours ago, Bristolded1987 said:

Don’t get me wrong I would be very very happy to get in the play offs . 

But I just have this feeling we shouldn’t write us off , as I don’t believe I have seen any team better than us , with the way we are playing over the last few games . 

I do still believe I will win the lottery one day though ?

I actually have really good vibes about this season. As for the lottery I think you will win it ...................... the week after me !!

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Leeds +16

City +8

In the scenario described, to close that gap requires us to beat Boro away with our game in hand. Given their strength let's say a 1 goal win.

City +9

The gap would then be 7 points so we would need to win 3 games whilst Leeds draw 2, lose 1 so again let's say Leeds only lose that game by 1 goal.

Leeds +15

We would need to win those three games by a margin of 7 goals to overtake them on GD. 

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but I dont think they are so far ahead of us on GD that should we catch their points tally, GD would be irrelevant. 

Beat them 4-0 and we're halfway there :)

20 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not taking anything away from the back four mate , and you know how much I rate AW/ TK in particular , but the work of the rest of the side and our shape out of possession is a massive factor in our solidity 

Agree. Also think we have the players to slot in if anyone drops out.

We seem to be getting better and better at the moment. We shall see 

Archived