IGNORED

The so called "promised land"

WolfOfWestStreet

23 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I loathe the premiership, it's come to stand for everything I hate about the game. I don't think I've watched a full match this season, and seeing a minute of the forced razzmatazz and sky fireworks makes me want to reach for a pistol. At the risk of offending some of the gentler posters on here, I've loved reading about today's shenanigans, it really reminded me of everything that gave me a buzz in my youth. But there's no room for that in the Prem, it's all about the family-first, supermax experience glossily packaged for a foreign audience. It's not the football that I love, it's a soulless product empty of any emotive warmth. 

But do I want us to do badly? No I don't. Of course I want to see us promoted, and I'm certain my celebration would go down in international legend. But there's definitely a conflict of interest given the above. 

Thing is, when I signed up to be a City fan for life, I was under no illusion that we would ever be any good, that we'd ever win anything, that we'd ever compete with the best. I signed up knowing we're a s**t club, with great fans that's a good laugh to follow and at times tragic to watch. Anything else I've seen as a bonus. I love supporting this club, no matter how many times it's tested my patience, and I don't really give a monkeys where we are in the league. 

I think the point i'm trying to make, I'm happy with the club I've got and I wouldn't want us to change to accommodate Sky's / the modern punters expectations of how a club should be. 

But maybe I'm a dinosaur ? 

In all fairness having it with Swansea off the pitch is irrespective of what division we are in.. A game against Cardiff Swansea or any other rival would still have that edge even in the Prem maybe even more so.. there is still thankfully that working class element to this club that hopefully will stay even if we do get in the top flight. Do agree with your overall sentiments of the Prem though pal! 

20 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

While I've seen our club in the top flight (I was 9 when we went up in '76), the top flight was a different animal in those days.

Yes. we lost most of the time but we were there, it was Bristol City in the top flight with the Arsenals, Evertons and Tottenhams..

It wasn’t all doom and gloom SJ....we did the double over both Spurs and Arsenal in our first season up there...we also stuffed Man United at Old Trafford and we beat that Liverpool side at Ashton Gate....lots of other notable moments too....I loved it! Compared to those days and the team we had, it’s all been crap since....but I still go and I still haven’t given up hope...

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

I wouldn’t mind doing a Burnley. Up, then down before getting back up gain. 

Dyche said in a recent interview that getting relegated was a blessing in disguise as when they bounced straight back up they knew exactly what to expect second time around. They were better prepared and now have become an established PL team helped by that experience.

He said that he, the players and the entire club had matured through the experience of relegation. He’s an interesting and impressive guy is Sean Dyche

Yes he is. Unfortunately he was pretty crap for us!

We’re football fans. We’re greedy. Same at every club up and down the country. If we go up we’ll be buzzing for the first 1 or 2 seasons if we stay up. Then all of a sudden it’s about making that next step. Look at Swansea, Stoke, Villa, Southampton and Sunderland. They went up/had a good few seasons. Became regulars and not really threatened by relegation then the fans want Europe. Then the managers start getting churned out. Then relegation (relegation battles in Saints case) trying to chase that one step too far. 

Of course I’d love to see us promoted. But I don’t want us to lose the ethos that got us there. 

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes he is. Unfortunately he was pretty crap for us!

He had an ultimately career ending back injury when at City.  We never saw Dyche 100% fit. Sadly it didn’t work out for him or City.

He’s doing pretty well as a manager tho.......

For me, yes there's the possible (likely) downside of losing a high percentage of our games if we ever made it there. But that's not what it's about. 

Having the pride to support our club, against some of the best sides in the world, regularly, is something to pride yourself on.

yes it's nice to win more games than you lose, but ultimately the most fulfilling thing as a football fan is having pride in your club - something which comes with playing at the highest level for the clubs potential. 

Championship is great and I've enjoyed every second of it since being back, however competing in the premiership with a philosophy we can be proud of would be the pinnacle of supporting this club imo.

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It should also be remembered , many won’t get to see it 

If you’re not an existing s/T holder - good luck in the scramble for any becoming available

And if you don’t get a S/T good luck in the fight for a few thousand available for each game

Ohhh.....and the away ticket allocation in the Premier League is crap

You will get to see us in the tele a lot though , and at lots of strange times 

Just a Thought 

spot on Bob, and here lies one of the big problems. Got a few mates up in London who are Arsenal and I used to love doing the occasional away with them during the 90s. All of them were Arsenal mad back in those days, and all of them totally disillusioned now, unable to get away tickets (and even cup final tickets) and peeved at the whole transition into a 'tourist club'. They still do the European away days, but that's it. The bread and butter of league football is gone for them.

When I mentioned earlier about the 'raw side' of the game being removed at Prem level, that in many ways is what I'm referring to (not the chance of having a ruck, @Leveller, though I'm guessing that's what some people wanted me to mean so they could jump down my throat!).

Football for me has always meant hooking up with your mates, people you've known forever and having a few beers and a laugh then heading down the match or off on an away adventure and all that entails. At top level, that's increasingly hard and certainly a lot less fun. 

@RumRed makes a great post earlier in which he notes that the Gate is becoming more like a Take That concert as opposed to the Heavy Metal cover band that is lower league football, and while I agree with that I reckon @bris red makes a similarly top point upstairs that this club has retained a good working class, normal fan base. I only get to the Gate twice or three times a season now, and although the atmosphere is appalling compared to what I'm now used to in mainland Europe, it's encouraging to see that our core support remains groups of blokes who've grown up together loving the City. Being in the prem stands to irreversibly change that with the ticket scramble / new fans / ticket hikes / added restrictions / not being able to get seats together, etc. Before you know it, those groups of lads that have been with us through thick and thin will be dispersed, or priced out, or simply unable to get tickets. 

The above is a fundamental and well-founded fear. 

Archived