IGNORED

Come a long way

Cannybluff

Hey, thought I'd start a thread as it feels a great time to he a city fan. Some of the highlights for me currently:

Team performance... best in years. We can compete with anyone in our league now. We are winning against sides who have massively outspent us and competing around us. we are among the highest places we have been in the last 35 years.

Stadium... is a cracking place now to watch football. From the experience outside of the ground, the atmosphere in the concourse and cracking views to watch football.

Development... I fail to remember a time with so many good young players bring brought through. They seem much better quality these days and many more than previously. The approach buying young players e.g. O'Dowda, brownhill etc. really complements the rest of our youth set up

Attendances at games are highest for 40 years and going strong.

Ownership and strategy... it seems that we are a lot more level headed these days. Its quality over quantity... I remember when we spent loads on Thorpe, Akinbiyi... in the Ward/Lennartson era... it's far more measured. Sure there are risks but we seem to be doing them more within our means...

Its hard to find an area of the club that hasn't significantly improved... when I hear people say 'you'll never have a better chance than this year to get promotion' I don't think its true any more as it feels that as many big clubs around us are losing their way, we are slowly and effectively finding ours. COYR

The much maligned DNA plays a big part too.   

The succession planning with youth, with the team playing to an identity means we know what we need to buy when the inevitable happens and players move on.  Ideally we replace from within as these players already know the system.

We don't buy stars and generally we are better than the sum of our parts.  Hopefully, that means we do not miss departures as much when a star player leaves.

All fantastically positive.  Fair play to SL for learning albeit he wanted some of his cash in the process.

I agree (although I don't understand the inference of your last sentence).

Refreshingly, we now develop youngsters to come through to the first team, able to come in and do a like-for-like job from the start eg. Morrell. It does surprise me that we don't appear to be grooming (in the old fashioned sense of the word) a ready made replacement for Famara - someone of build and height who would allow us to keep to the same playing style in the event of Fam's enforced absence. I guess such players don't grow on trees. 

8 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

agree (although I don't understand the inference of your last sentence).

For me I think it's about slowly building the infrastructure and fabric of the club in a way the momentum will take us there.  As opposed to splashing the cash on a few talented players and risking our financial status in a gamble.  

We are doing a Brighton or a Southampton.  When we get there we have something sustainable.

13 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I agree (although I don't understand the inference of your last sentence

My point is that e.g. villa, stoke and a few others seem (from the outside) to be trying to buy a ready made team to get them promoted. And to a large degree it isn't working. 

I kind of see your point on the Famara replacement. I imagine being such a key position it would be difficult to throw in a semenyo. But hopefully someone of that ilk will gradually be integrated. I haven't written off Eisa and you never know with these players who have joined. It could be that he is learning behind the scenes and may come in a little more over the the next couple of seasons. Could also be that he isn't quite showing the potential we hoped he would have. similar with adelukan...

24 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Hey, thought I'd start a thread as it feels a great time to he a city fan. Some of the highlights for me currently:

Team performance... best in years. We can compete with anyone in our league now. We are winning against sides who have massively outspent us and competing around us. we are among the highest places we have been in the last 35 years.

Stadium... is a cracking place now to watch football. From the experience outside of the ground, the atmosphere in the concourse and cracking views to watch football.

Development... I fail to remember a time with so many good young players bring brought through. They seem much better quality these days and many more than previously. The approach buying young players e.g. O'Dowda, brownhill etc. really complements the rest of our youth set up

Ownership and strategy... it seems that we are a lot more level headed these days. Its quality over quantity... I remember when we spent loads on Thorpe, Akinbiyi... in the Ward/Lennartson era... it's far more measured. Sure there are risks but we seem to be doing them more within our means...

Its hard to find an area of the club that hasn't significantly improved... when I hear people say 'you'll never have a better chance than this year to get promotion' I don't think its true any more as it feels that as many big clubs around us are losing their way, we are slowly and effectively finding ours. COYR

All down to SL and his long term vision for our club. Without him we’d still be a lower league club and nationally barely noticed.

I don’t care how the redevelopment was funded - not remotely bothered. Fact is the whole matchday experience is completely different to how it was just 5 years ago. The fanzone - wonderful idea. The concourse encircling the interior of the  stadium with various outlets is fantastic. The toilets - wow.....so happy not to see pools of piss all over the floor.

The only disappointment and it’s a huge disappointment is the dreadful PA system.........ffs...........:facepalm:

SL made the decision to establish firstly stability within the club set up. He employed LJ to enable that to happen having witnessed the destabilising effect of changing managers and his background staff so many times before.That’s why he stood behind LJ during that run of defeats season before last.

Secondly - sustainability - self explanatory.

This season its looks as if SLs vision Is beginning to pay off. I know City were in a similar position this time last season and it went tits up largely down to the cup run imv but if City go another cup run in the FA cup the manager and the squad will have benefitted from last years experience,

Onwards and upwards......

47 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Cannybluff is Fat Boy Slim?

We've come a long, long way together  
Through the hard times and the good 
I have to celebrate you, City
I have to praise you like I should

The only disappointment and it’s a huge disappointment is the dreadful PA system.........ffs....

Totally agree but having sat in the Lansdown for the cup game v Bolton I can tell you Robbo that it is just the PA in the Dolman that is terrible.

Yesterday it was not just muffled (as usual) but almost totally inaudible. 

I have emailed Mark Ashton about this and he replied saying the club are well aware of this and improvement is coming.

That was towards the end of last year ! 

16 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

The only disappointment and it’s a huge disappointment is the dreadful PA system.........ffs....

Totally agree but having sat in the Lansdown for the cup game v Bolton I can tell you Robbo that it is just the PA in the Dolman that is terrible.

Yesterday it was not just muffled (as usual) but almost totally inaudible. 

I have emailed Mark Ashton about this and he replied saying the clu are w  aw of th and impro is com.

46 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

I have emailed Mark Ashton about this and he replied saying the club are well aware of this and improvement is coming.

At least he replied....

And yeah yesterday I couldn’t decipher anything that came over PA system but Ive grown so accustomed to it over the years...

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At least he replied....

And yeah yesterday I couldn’t de-cider anything that came over PA system but Ive grown so accustomed to it over the years...

Were you 'happy in the Haze of a drunken hour' ?? 

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Corrected it!

One thing with an iPad is that it auto corrects words and I don’t always notice.........:facepalm:

I try and remember to read and re-read before posting, quite often forget though.

You should see some of the crap I've nearly posted.

Archived