IGNORED

Bristol City’s “Cult Heroes”, 14 years on...

LondonBristolian

Don’t know why but yesterday I was thinking about the early 2000s when Football Focus tried to identify the cult heroes of every club in football. That is to say the player who, whilst not necessarily the best or most important in the club’s history, was the one the fans most took to their hearts.

Our one was won by Dziekanowski ahead of Atyeo and Tinnion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/4398347.stm

I was thinking about who there has been since then who could compete. Carey made a lot of appearances but I’m not sure he ever quite caught the imagination, JET was a joy to watch but probably did too little for too short a period - although you could argue the same for Dziekanowski and it didn’t stop him from winning in 2005. But I reckon Scott Murray and Aden Flint are probably the only two since who could realistically break into that top three.

Who do you reckon would win if a similar poll was held now? Still Dziekanowski or someone else?

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don’t know why but yesterday I was thinking about the early 2000s when Football Focus tried to identify the cult heroes of every club in football. That is to say the player who, whilst not necessarily the best or most important in the club’s history, was the one the fans most took to their hearts.

Our one was won by Dziekanowski ahead of Atyeo and Tinnion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/4398347.stm

I was thinking about who there has been since then who could compete. Carey made a lot of appearances but I’m not sure he ever quite caught the imagination, JET was a joy to watch but probably did too little for too short a period - although you could argue the same for Dziekanowski and it didn’t stop him from winning in 2005. But I reckon Scott Murray and Aden Flint are probably the only two since who could realistically break into that top three.

Who do you reckon would win if a similar poll was held now? Still Dziekanowski or someone else?

To have Jacki number 1 even then was pushing it somewhat. Great to watch, but 40 odd appearances and half a dozen goals?

Players that were ‘cult’, difficult to define but Taylor, Flint were 100% committed. Tinnion and Murray, going further back, Gow, Sweeney, Merrick, Tainton, and of course the only real number 1, Atyeo.

Players that fans loved to talk about, Alan Walsh, Jacki of course, Basso, JET. 

Of course, for me the real cult following was the loveably inconsistent Junior Bent. Films with cult followings do not have to be good...

1. John Atyeo

2. Gerry Gow

3. Billy Wedlock

Honorable mentions

Too many to mention.

It has to be Atyeo because his influence is still here. We don't like cheats on the pitch, we prefer a game played on the grass and not in the air and we want to win but are willing to acknowledge individuals or teams that have entertained us even if it meant we lost the match. Examples are JET for Donny Rovers and Lua Lua for Colchester.

Jacki everyday of the week for me. Ask me in a thousand years and I'll still stay the same.

No-one has lit up the Gate like that in my time, and despite the less than impressive stats that his detractors quote, it says much for him that there are so many of us who still idolize him to this day!

The home debut goal against Sarfend when this unknown entity introduced himself, the 'another planet' performance against Leicester, the overhead flick v Ipswich, the killer through ball at home to Boro, the last minute brace against Wolves, the epic Dolman / Pompey match (!!!), the run against Cardiff and even the bizarre farewell (ironically I think, against Southend) are tattoed into memory! So good were they, i'm happy to not give a monkeys about the 20-odd games he barely moved out from the centre circle! 

Besides that actual talent, i think there's also other factors at work with Jacki: he was, quite literally, our last terrace hero - the Open End was dismantled soon after he left. He was at City during that unique era when football in general was finding its path and had one foot in the past and one foot in the future. He defined that time, brief as it was (remember Ultra magazine!). It helped, also, that he was a Grade A playboy. He drove fast cars, shagged fit women, drank like a sailor yet always seemed strangely gallant and endearingly different. As a teenage lad, he was everything i wanted to be! A true football rebel and one-of-a-kind. What bloody memories!

I despise Osman to this day. 

6 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Jacki everyday of the week for me. Ask me in a thousand years and I'll still stay the same.

No-one has lit up the Gate like that in my time, and despite the less than impressive stats that his detractors quote, it says much for him that there are so many of us who still idolize him to this day!

The home debut goal against Sarfend when this unknown entity introduced himself, the 'another planet' performance against Leicester, the overhead flick v Ipswich, the killer through ball at home to Boro, the last minute brace against Wolves, the epic Dolman / Pompey match (!!!), the run against Cardiff and even the bizarre farewell (ironically I think, against Southend) are tattoed into memory! So good were they, i'm happy to not give a monkeys about the 20-odd games he barely moved out from the centre circle! 

Besides that actual talent, i think there's also other factors at work with Jacki: he was, quite literally, our last terrace hero - the Open End was dismantled soon after he left. He was at City during that unique era when football in general was finding its path and had one foot in the past and one foot in the future. He defined that time, brief as it was (remember Ultra magazine!). It helped, also, that he was a Grade A playboy. He drove fast cars, shagged fit women, drank like a sailor yet always seemed strangely gallant and endearingly different. As a teenage lad, he was everything i wanted to be! A true football rebel and one-of-a-kind. What bloody memories!

I despise Osman to this day. 

Think I’ve told this story before

I became mates with Alan Crawford after he finished playing and he was Youth Team Manager 

One pre season Jacki was not in first team squad that went on a trip and was left at home for a friendly played at Luton , IIRC with a mixture of first teamers and young players

Crawfs was in charge and anxious to show well and impress

Spent ages thinking about his side and how he was going to play , centred around Jacki

His pre match team talk using a wipe board involved getting Jacki to be here to give the ball to, there to give the ball to , to move here , move there  demonstrating with circles and lines drawn on the wipe board , it was going well.........

After a short while , Jacki is sat there not saying a word.......

Jacki gets up , walks over to Crawfs at the White board  , without a word takes the marker pen off him 

and says , calmly , in broken English 

‘ Alan ....Alan .....I not go here.....run here .......go there......’         (Indicating some of Crawfs circles and lines) 

I go here ‘.    ( Drawing a very small circle  at the edge of the penalty area )

He handed the marker pen to Crawfs  , and sat down without saying another word !!

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think I’ve told this story before

I became mates with Alan Crawford after he finished playing and he was Youth Team Manager 

One pre season Jacki was not in first team squad that went on a trip and was left at home for a friendly played at Luton , IIRC with a mixture of first teamers and young players

Crawfs was in charge and anxious to show well and impress

Spent ages thinking about his side and how he was going to play , centred around Jacki

His pre match team talk using a wipe board involved getting Jacki to be here to give the ball to, there to give the ball to , to move here , move there  demonstrating with circles and lines drawn on the wipe board , it was going well.........

After a short while , Jacki is sat there not saying a word.......

Jacki gets up , walks over to Crawfs at the White board  , without a word takes the marker pen off him 

and says , calmly , in broken English 

‘ Alan ....Alan .....I not go here.....run here .......go there......’         (Indicating some of Crawfs circles and lines) 

I go here ‘.    ( Drawing a very small circle  at the edge of the penalty area )

He handed the marker pen to Crawfs  , and sat down without saying another word !!

And that, I reckon, brings this case to a close: no-one comes close to our Jacki! 

My first proper away game (Don’t count Eastville) was that “another planet” game v Leicester.  I was either out injured (no surprise) or game was called off earlier in the week and my mate managed to get me a ticket (for game and minibus).  Absolutely lashed it down, but it didn’t matter.  Jacki was on another planet.  

Some players aren’t with you long, but they make a huge impression.

Some cult heroes are awful players, and achieve status by being bad.

Another like Arnie Garita, didn’t even achieve infamy through playing, more tweeting things about Darrell Clarke because he didn’t understand English.

We will all have our own heroes.  Mick Harford was my first, and he wasn’t here long either.

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

To have Jacki number 1 even then was pushing it somewhat. Great to watch, but 40 odd appearances and half a dozen goals?

Players that were ‘cult’, difficult to define but Taylor, Flint were 100% committed. Tinnion and Murray, going further back, Gow, Sweeney, Merrick, Tainton, and of course the only real number 1, Atyeo.

Players that fans loved to talk about, Alan Walsh, Jacki of course, Basso, JET. 

Of course, for me the real cult following was the loveably inconsistent Junior Bent. Films with cult followings do not have to be good...

Jacki is definitely cult for me. I was young when he left and not ashamed to say I shed a tear. A joy to watch especially as a child as you don’t notice what he doesn’t do, only what he does incredibly well.

On the flip side, as an adult, I never took to JET as could see how he made the team as a whole worse.

1 minute ago, bcfctim said:

No mention for Albert?

Could you say Albert is ‘cult’?  For me cult doesn’t just mean great. More to it than that. More nuanced. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Could you say Albert is ‘cult’?  For me cult doesn’t just mean great. More to it than that. More nuanced. 

I don't know, it was more than just his play - his personality, his cheeky interviews, joking with the fans during warmups etc. He was pretty much all that was fun about going to watch City for a good couple of years, I reckon he counts. For me, anyway. As a fan in my 20s going back to Danny Wilson he was the first to pop into my head. Love the guy.

Alberttt Albert Adoooommahhhhhhhh...

We've got a Polish international

Always will be Jacki for me. More talent in his big toe than most have in their entire body. If he could be bothered to use it from one game to the next is another story. But that is neither here or there, when on it no one could touch him.

The Ozzie ardiles flick over the head then cross onto tanglefoot's head (only for him to miss a sitter) was a joy to behold.

I would have to put into the mix ‘Super’ Bobby Taylor for the goals he scored in that season & ‘Psycho’ Glenn Humphries because he was just an absolutely 100% committed player from that era.

There are many others that could be put forward for discussion, Joe Jordan as it started the craze of the inflatable tooth when it was the in thing to take an obscure blow up item along to the game.

Glyn Riley for that Wembley performance & iconic goal celebration.

Scott Murray for numerous performances & ‘that’ iconic goal celebration at Cardiff & his subsequent service to the club.

Rob Newman, Terry Cooper, Paul Cheesley, Brian Tinnion. I’m sure there is a long list of people who deserve to be given consideration.

4 hours ago, bcfctim said:

No mention for Albert?

3 hours ago, bcfctim said:

I don't know, it was more than just his play - his personality, his cheeky interviews, joking with the fans during warmups etc.

Alberttt Albert Adoooommahhhhhhhh...

It was certainly a lovely, revealing interview.

There was also a clip somewhere of Albert 'joining in' with some female dancers on the pitch: I can't remember where it was, but it (and Albert) was quite amusing.

Archived