IGNORED

Bristol City’s “Cult Heroes”, 14 years on...

LondonBristolian

Very very recent but I’d like to think you can include Joe Bryan

Scored against Cardiff, Rovers, Swindon, Man United (most important games for ‘bragging rights’) - along with being a premium sale to the premier league, breaking through the academy, part of the ‘double’ winning team etc. plus the story about supporting a local player through his injury, giving his boots to a fan after he hit him in the face with a stray football - he’s done pretty much as much as you can to inspire a generation and give Bristol a good name

3 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

Very very recent but I’d like to think you can include Joe Bryan

Scored against Cardiff, Rovers, Swindon, Man United (most important games for ‘bragging rights’) - along with being a premium sale to the premier league, breaking through the academy, part of the ‘double’ winning team etc. plus the story about supporting a local player through his injury, giving his boots to a fan after he hit him in the face with a stray football - he’s done pretty much as much as you can to inspire a generation and give Bristol a good name

Helped pay for vandalised pitches to be repaired too.

That is an impressive set of clubs to score against without the Man Utd one.  Can’t be too many players to have scored against those 3.

He's not fit to lace the boots of the greats such as Jacki and Soooooper Bob, but Wayner has to be up there as one of the great forgotten cult heroes! 

There were times he couldn't hit a barn door, other times when he looked like a footballer should (that hattrick against Birmingham, an outside the box goal v Plymouth), plus some crucial ones to send us bonkers (gas, derby away, and I think possibly Liverpool at home?). 

But my favourite Purple Vein goal, that's Blackburn home when he totally missed his kick, his wild swing just about making the faintest connection to send the ball dribbling over the line in extra slow motion. Think i'd already called him every name under the sun by the time ball made it across the line :D 

There were several times, especially in the early years, when people were on his back, but he rode it out with a smile. Would have bled for the club, you know it! 

Lovely bloke as well! 

2 hours ago, Icelandic Clap said:

David Seal. The king of thunderbastards to the top corner in 95/96. Pity he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo afterwards....

He got dropped by Jordan for not scoring in the box, his strike rate was pretty good but after he was dropped he never really got another chance. Thing is I can't seem to remember us creating much at the time under Jordan, so it was just as well he was smashing them in from 30 yards.

17 minutes ago, TRL said:

He got dropped by Jordan for not scoring in the box, his strike rate was pretty good but after he was dropped he never really got another chance. Thing is I can't seem to remember us creating much at the time under Jordan, so it was just as well he was smashing them in from 30 yards.

Isn’t he still local?

I love the idea of cult heroes because it can encompass not only brilliant players who were great characters (e.g. Scotty Murray), but also players who showed fleeting moments of genius (Jacki), players remembered for single moments (Donowa) and even those who were utterly inept (Bas Savage falling over - still makes me laugh). 

I can’t pick out a single cult hero, but my roll of honour since I started going to games in 1981 would include (in no particular order):

Big Wayne Allison - looked clumsy at times but scored some great goals. 

Keith Welch - great long-serving keeper; had a moustache; “England’s number one”; inspired the “cool hand Luke” commentary from Roger Malone (himself something of a cult hero).

Jacki - Leicester away. 

Junior Bent - ran like lightning; great winner at Swindle. 

JET - bright light during the dark SOD days; slow motion penalty run ups. 

Flint - hat-trick with a rabona; said “no, no no”; sang Wonderwall to the crowd.

Donowa - bundled the ball in for that goal against the fewers.

Hirst - scored the winner at Eastville.

Bob Taylor - wonderful striker and I’m sure he gave the v sign to the away end after Donowa scored.

Shaun Taylor - hard as nails.

Tinnion - scored at Anfield.

Scott Murray - a joy to watch and taunted the crowd at Ninian Park.

Walshy - patented the Walshy shuffle.

Glyn Riley - scored a double at Wembley; impressive mullet.

I could probably go on all night so had better stop now!

17 hours ago, Offside said:

I love the idea of cult heroes because it can encompass not only brilliant players who were great characters (e.g. Scotty Murray), but also players who showed fleeting moments of genius (Jacki), players remembered for single moments (Donowa) and even those who were utterly inept (Bas Savage falling over - still makes me laugh). 

I can’t pick out a single cult hero, but my roll of honour since I started going to games in 1981 would include (in no particular order):

Big Wayne Allison - looked clumsy at times but scored some great goals. 

Keith Welch - great long-serving keeper; had a moustache; “England’s number one”; inspired the “cool hand Luke” commentary from Roger Malone (himself something of a cult hero).

Jacki - Leicester away. 

Junior Bent - ran like lightning; great winner at Swindle. 

JET - bright light during the dark SOD days; slow motion penalty run ups. 

Flint - hat-trick with a rabona; said “no, no no”; sang Wonderwall to the crowd.

Donowa - bundled the ball in for that goal against the fewers.

Hirst - scored the winner at Eastville.

Bob Taylor - wonderful striker and I’m sure he gave the v sign to the away end after Donowa scored.

Shaun Taylor - hard as nails.

Tinnion - scored at Anfield.

Scott Murray - a joy to watch and taunted the crowd at Ninian Park.

Walshy - patented the Walshy shuffle.

Glyn Riley - scored a double at Wembley; impressive mullet.

I could probably go on all night so had better stop now!

Feel free to carry on, brilliant memories!!! 

One player who I think has gone under the radar in terms of cult btw: John Bailey! 

On the non-playing side, Buster Footman extends beyond cult and tips into full-on legend. Where managers are concerned though, I'd class Benny as cult. Not everyone liked him, his methods were strange, and you got the idea that he was as mad as a bag of snakes, but I loved that brief chapter under him. It felt like a real helter skelter under his charge, one that was vastly enjoyable to be a part of. mad results, unexplainable happenings, bizarre episodes galore. I'm sure if he'd been given a fair crack of the whip things could have clicked. Right man at the wrong time, or something like that. 

5 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Feel free to carry on, brilliant memories!!! 

One player who I think has gone under the radar in terms of cult btw: John Bailey! 

On the non-playing side, Buster Footman extends beyond cult and tips into full-on legend. Where managers are concerned though, I'd class Benny as cult. Not everyone liked him, his methods were strange, and you got the idea that he was as mad as a bag of snakes, but I loved that brief chapter under him. It felt like a real helter skelter under his charge, one that was vastly enjoyable to be a part of. mad results, unexplainable happenings, bizarre episodes galore. I'm sure if he'd been given a fair crack of the whip things could have clicked. Right man at the wrong time, or something like that. 

Beryl Fudge

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Beryl Fudge

a thousand times yes!!!!! I loved how she used to keep errant teenagers in line! 

I think I remember reading or hearing that during the crisis years she basically did a zillion jobs for nothing in return. Did the club recognize her in any way after she passed? 

Archived