IGNORED

Paul Ince 'I could do what Solskjaer is doing'

Lrrr

Not City related but still...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47111521

'I am not just a pundit who has never managed a club - I have managed in the Premier League and all four English professional divisions, so no-one can say I don't know what I am talking about here'

So why aren't you in a job then Paul? Without playing the race card....

What Ole has done at Utd has been exceptional, its not just the culture change that Ince is talking about his tactics in some games have been excellent, his use of split strikers and the diamond against Spurs by pushing Lingard up to make a front 3 off the ball was brilliant... yet I'm sure Ince would have been able to do the same.

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not City related but still...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47111521

'I am not just a pundit who has never managed a club - I have managed in the Premier League and all four English professional divisions, so no-one can say I don't know what I am talking about here'

So why aren't you in a job then Paul? Without playing the race card....

What Ole has done at Utd has been exceptional, its not just the culture change that Ince is talking about his tactics in some games have been excellent, his use of split strikers and the diamond against Spurs by pushing Lingard up to make a front 3 off the ball was brilliant... yet I'm sure Ince would have been able to do the same.

Saw him on football focus with Alex Scott last week, and she made him look a bit foolish with her knowledge.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Now if he'd said "I could do what Roy Keane I'd doing" then I'd think he had a point.

Paul Ince: founder only member of the Paul Ince fan club.

Race has been mentioned twice already in this thread yet Paul Ince doesn’t mention it at all.

Decent article I thought and some decent points but just to clarify for people whi haven’t read the article, the original post in this thread is a very small snapshot of the article and doesn’t reflect it as a whole, not that I think Paul Ince is a particularly likeable chap but this article is okay.

24 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Race has been mentioned twice already in this thread yet Paul Ince doesn’t mention it at all.

Decent article I thought and some decent points but just to clarify for people whi haven’t read the article, the original post in this thread is a very small snapshot of the article and doesn’t reflect it as a whole, not that I think Paul Ince is a particularly likeable chap but this article is okay.

Couldn’t agree more. Shows the bias still in the game 

21 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think Ince is bang on. 

I can't agree with it. Solskjaer has shown he is very, very astute. He has brought in the right back room staff, he has rotated the squad well and importantly shown exceptional tactical nous, as anyone who watched the Tottenham game and saw him expose them to the diagonal ball and wide playing forwards with no target man could see; or immediately reacting to their subs to curtail their impact. Just one game as an example but there are plenty. 

That is not, 'giving the place a lift' and 'giving the players freedom' as Paul Ince suggests. He is downplaying Solskjaer who has shown himself to be extremely savvy. Most yes could have gone in and got an immediate reaction, but he identifies a gameplan and they work on it and they execute it. He goes far further than Paul Ince would dare give him credit for. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

I can't agree with it. Solskjaer has shown he is very, very astute. He has brought in the right back room staff, he has rotated the squad well and importantly shown exceptional tactical nous, as anyone who watched the Tottenham game and saw him expose them to the diagonal ball and wide playing forwards with no target man could see; or immediately reacting to their subs to curtail their impact. Just one game as an example but there are plenty. 

That is not, 'giving the place a lift' and 'giving the players freedom' as Paul Ince suggests. He is downplaying Solskjaer who has shown himself to be extremely savvy. Most yes could have gone in and got an immediate reaction, but he identifies a gameplan and they work on it and they execute it. He goes far further than Paul Ince would dare give him credit for. 

Very much this.

There is little doubt that any number of managers could have gone in after Mourinho and  given the players a "lift" - after JM that wouldn't have been to difficult. However, there is a world of difference between the "new manager bounce", that Ince seems to be talking about , and the form and results OGS has achieved since coming in.

Will be interesting to see how Man U handle the appointment of a permanent manager, in view of the way things have gone since OGS's temporary appointment. With OGS only being appointed to the end of the season, it seems highly likely that the preferred candidate would not be available until the summer, with most pundits favourite being Pochittino. OGS has put the cat among the pigeons now though, and if things continue to the seasons end it will make it very difficult for the club not to appoint him long term.

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

Indeed.

He appears also to constantly portray his bright, bubbly personality; is always smiling, and even seems to have picked up the local accent.

Oh, and they also appear to be playing good attractive football.

What's not to like?

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed.

He appears also to constantly portray his bright, bubbly personality; is always smiling, and even seems to have picked up the local accent.

Oh, and they also appear to be playing good attractive football.

What's not to like?

Man U regaining their position at the top of the tree and having to again cope with insufferable Manc's ( and loads of southerner plastics) lording it over the football world and reminding us all that football only really started in 1992. 

Basically everything we had to suffer for 20 years until Fergie's retirement!

To play devil's advocate, I doubt anyone could've imagined that OGS would have Man Utd on the kind of run they're currently on right now. Outside of Norway, his only achievemnets outside of the Man Utd academy were in damaging Cardiff City for years with poor signings and decisions. His stature in English management were probably worse than LJ's.

Does that mean that Ince would do well if he had the Man Utd job? Who knows? All I know is that the person that sees a remarkable feat happening in front of them and says "I could do that" is probably wrong.

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Man U regaining their position at the top of the tree and having to again cope with insufferable Manc's ( and loads of southerner plastics) lording it over the football world and reminding us all that football only really started in 1992. 

Basically everything we had to suffer for 20 years until Fergie's retirement!

That would, indeed, be an unfortunate consequence/side-effect, but I am sure you agree that Manchester United at their best - I go back to their Matt Busby/Bobby Charlton/George Best/Denis Law days - are a sight to behold.

I am not a Man U fan, by the way, but, as a young boy, that European Cup victory still remains vivid in my memory. 

24 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

To play devil's advocate, I doubt anyone could've imagined that OGS would have Man Utd on the kind of run they're currently on right now. Outside of Norway, his only achievemnets outside of the Man Utd academy were in damaging Cardiff City for years with poor signings and decisions. His stature in English management were probably worse than LJ's.

Does that mean that Ince would do well if he had the Man Utd job? Who knows? All I know is that the person that sees a remarkable feat happening in front of them and says "I could do that" is probably wrong.

It's a fair assessment.  I think OGS is a perfect fit perhaps because he knows what MUFC is all about really.   If anything what has been proven is Jose was not getting even 50% of what he could from the players he had. 

40 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That would, indeed, be an unfortunate consequence/side-effect, but I am sure you agree that Manchester United at their best - I go back to their Matt Busby/Bobby Charlton/George Best/Denis Law days - are a sight to behold.

I am not a Man U fan, by the way, but, as a young boy, that European Cup victory still remains vivid in my memory. 

Don't disagree Phil, , but you are talking about the days of proper football Phil i.e. before the premier league, sky money and all the crap that has bought to the game.

My thoughts when I read the whole article and Ince stated I could do that I used to be a premiership manager was in that case so could I cos I couldnt have been a worse premiership manager than Ince.......hopeless, clueless manager. Shut up and give some suppoort to OGS for a job well done.

Oh dear; Ince uses Di Matteo as an example of what could happen to Ole. Shakespeare at Leicester too. The guy states the bleeding obvious to try and justify his somewhat disingenuous remarks about what Ole has done. Nothing of which is easy Ince and no, your record suggests you would have been a million miles away from what Ole has done. For once don't dig a bigger hole for yourself; just admit your remarks were wrong in the first place. Really gone down in my estimation. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

They are Man Utd , more than enough to dislike imho ?

We all know united are a marmite club, due to ferguson being a bit “prickly”, and then winning a lot, but if they wanted neutral support, and given the way OGS conducted himself as a player and a manager, he comes across as talented, intelligent and a decent guy, then he is the obvious Candidate now

2 hours ago, TomF said:

It's a fair assessment.  I think OGS is a perfect fit perhaps because he knows what MUFC is all about really.   If anything what has been proven is Jose was not getting even 50% of what he could from the players he had. 

True. Another point of view, and one I'm starting to believe nowadays, is that when you build your club around a head coach model (as Man Utd seem to be moving towards) coaching skill comes second to keeping players happy. If Man Utd's squad were all huge fans of Mr Blobby I reckon he'd get them a top four place, given the talent in that squad, and the backroom talent building the tactical approach.

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

True. Another point of view, and one I'm starting to believe nowadays, is that when you build your club around a head coach model (as Man Utd seem to be moving towards) coaching skill comes second to keeping players happy. If Man Utd's squad were all huge fans of Mr Blobby I reckon he'd get them a top four place, given the talent in that squad, and the backroom talent building the tactical approach.

Go it’s learn offside rule first!

Archived