IGNORED

Monday Night 7pm Twitter Feed - LK, JL, LJ, MA (Merged)

Selred

39 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Oh, and Mark Ashton's favourite cheese is cheddar. Glad they cleared that one up. It's been keeping me awake for months. 

Cheese tends to have that effect.

31 minutes ago, Hörður's Heir said:

Definitely wasn’t scripted as I asked a question on twitter during the feed. Some interesting responses. Although Mark Ashton did sit on the fence when I asked about applying for Cat 1 status for the academy. 

Perhaps they truly haven’t decided.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Always a possibility, but they seem to be very proactive with their forward planning, that I’d expect them to have made a decision.

I personally would love us to have the only Category 1 Academy in the South West and to hopefully be able to attract the best talent in the region. Although obviously the costs aren’t cheap! 

• Admin
21 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

About 450 people listening at the same time should be considered as a fair enough start

I noticed Joe Morrell signed in and watched, anyone notice any other players checking out what was being said?

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

JL was a hot mess. Couldn't get his words out at all, kept stuttering, clearly wasn't comfortable at all.

I was surprised how near he seemed, at times was hard to make out what he was saying 

All in all thought it was a very impressive event 

Credit where due. Given some of the media team output this season, that was good.

Though Jon was a bit nervous, which was odd given in the past I thought he’s been pretty good at interviews in far more testing circumstances.

Glad they’re thinking of providing another cheaper area for casual supporters. Makes sense all round. 

17 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Credit where due. Given some of the media team output this season, that was good.

Though Jon was a bit nervous, which was odd given in the past I thought he’s been pretty good at interviews in far more testing circumstances.

Glad they’re thinking of providing another cheaper area for casual supporters. Makes sense all round. 

Yes, sounds like a bit of admittance that they got it wrong last season.

Other than dodgy sound (much like the tannoy in the Dolman) was good.  The badge will contain the Robin and 1894 by the sound of it. Any strikers we were after weren't available quite early so that was why no late signings. Could someone explain the cost and benefits of having a category 1 academy that MA didn't rule out?

4 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Other than dodgy sound (much like the tannoy in the Dolman) was good.  The badge will contain the Robin and 1894 by the sound of it. Any strikers we were after weren't available quite early so that was why no late signings. Could someone explain the cost and benefits of having a category 1 academy that MA didn't rule out?

It would stop any other Cat 1 academies nicking our youngsters for next to nothing and improve our ability to do just that. As a cat 2, we cannot stand in the way of a cat 1 academy approaching one of our players. I think that's right. 

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I quite enjoyed that but Mark Ashton's lop sided beard was doing my nut in!

Mark, if you're gonna trim your beard to that extent, make sure it's level will you? :doh:

I thought I was going mad.  I stopped listening to him after a few questions trying to work it out.  Thank you for the sanity check.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Really?  Jon has never appeared comfortable with a camera in front of him in my experience.  It's not a criticism in any way....some people aren't and that's absolutely fine.  I'd be the same I'm sure.  Fair play to him for putting himself in a position that's clearly out of his comfort zone.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

It would stop any other Cat 1 academies nicking our youngsters for next to nothing and improve our ability to do just that. As a cat 2, we cannot stand in the way of a cat 1 academy approaching one of our players. I think that's right. 

But cost wise there is a checklist of the club needs to meet requirements which I think requires more full time staff in certain positions 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Or perhaps the purse string holder isn’t serious about the Academy.

I think  I’m correct in saying that all spend on the Academy is outside FFP?

Mr Lansdown can spend as much as he likes on the Academy to bring it up to Cat 1 standard and it is the one area where investment would almost certainly see a return on his capital, the profit on Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan must have covered every penny already spent on the Academy since it’s inception.

I think the planned development at Failand is purely for the U23, U18, groups of players, not for the schoolboy part of the Academy, and many of the coaches are only part time, there is a great deal of work to do to bring the Academy anywhere near Cat 1 status.

11 hours ago, Boston Red said:

When they were asked which game in the past they could go back and play in, Ashton said any game with Lee Johnson in it, because Lee Johnson gives the impression that he was a combination of Messi and Maradona as a player.

THE CRINGE!!!!

Get your tongue out his ass Mark ffs. 

I have noticed that MA only ever fronts the media when things are going well on the pitch. He regurgitates cliché after cliché with consummate ease, but bores me senseless in the process. The wonky beard trim was distracting as were the new Ant & Dec style set of gleaming white gnashers. LJ on the other hand was pretty interesting, although he was never going to be asked anything remotely crunchy or controversial. Jon just looked uncomfortable.

Credit where credit is due, at least they put themselves on offer. 

11 hours ago, Ian M said:

I noticed Joe Morrell signed in and watched, anyone notice any other players checking out what was being said?

I noticed a few popping up throughout. Kasey Palmer appeared to watch the whole thing. 

I quite like how you could see who was watching at the same time - Flint appeared for the first 5 minutes! 

5 minutes ago, MC26 said:

I noticed a few popping up throughout. Kasey Palmer appeared to watch the whole thing. 

I quite like how you could see who was watching at the same time - Flint appeared for the first 5 minutes! 

The stick flint has been getting from Boro fans might make him wish he was back here.

Wouldnt get in our team now though

• The title was changed to Monday Night 7pm Twitter Feed - LK, JL, LJ, MA (Merged)

@Kevin Brady in fairness to MA, we all moaned that he was in the media too much in his early days, but since then it’s pretty much confined to around the transfer windows.

He seems to be getting the balance right these days, and it appears he’s given LJ more influence in recruitment too.

But......that wonky beard trim......gotta have something to beat him with ?

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The stick flint has been getting from Boro fans might make him wish he was back here.

Wouldnt get in our team now though

True. Seems strange to get stick like he has when they've only conceded 22 goals this season. Makes you think a large number of their fans were expecting him to be getting a fair few goals like he managed for us.

I don't think he caught the bit where they were speaking about his exit and Webster's signing. Nothing bad was said about Flint but just that it was a good thing for all involved.

10 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

Could someone explain the cost and benefits of having a category 1 academy that MA didn't rule out?

Some of the benefits would include a larger catchment area which is determined by the Category of the academy. More money if one of our prospects are poached by a another club, with add ons increased. Increased coaching time for the players involved. More full-time staff. Cost obviously isn’t predetermined but articles I’ve seen is between £4-6million which is probably around double the cost of running a Cat 2. Although grants are provided to cover some of the costs. Significant investment would have to be put forward to meet the criteria of being a Cat 1, but I would imagine some this would already be offset with the new training facilities. Also I believe the costs aren’t factored into the FFP regulations so theoretically Landsdown could spend as much as he wants without it affecting the finances. I guess its weighing up the cost vs benefits.

24 minutes ago, MC26 said:

True. Seems strange to get stick like he has when they've only conceded 22 goals this season. Makes you think a large number of their fans were expecting him to be getting a fair few goals like he managed for us.

I don't think he caught the bit where they were speaking about his exit and Webster's signing. Nothing bad was said about Flint but just that it was a good thing for all involved.

I think Boro fans see him as a donkey 

1 hour ago, Kevin Brady said:

I have noticed that MA only ever fronts the media when things are going well on the pitch. He regurgitates cliché after cliché with consummate ease, but bores me senseless in the process. The wonky beard trim was distracting as were the new Ant & Dec style set of gleaming white gnashers. LJ on the other hand was pretty interesting, although he was never going to be asked anything remotely crunchy or controversial. Jon just looked uncomfortable.

Credit where credit is due, at least they put themselves on offer. 

That is not true. There have been these media bits with MA quite consistently when it comes to timing.

Theres usually one or two during the window and one after, that was true even during the bad runs.

What you have 'noticed' is something you want to see- an ability to give criticism. It's also something falsely repeated on here.

Archived