IGNORED

Middlesbrough away.

BCFC1512

1 minute ago, Midred said:

Whats up with the free weekend on the 23rd, is it another international "friendlys" weekend?

Yeah, International weekend. I did have half a thought they might play the game during that break to be honest. Not sure if that's allowed but if Boro have players called up as we do then it seemed fair, rather than shoehorn a long away trip amongst a busy period.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

ouch!

15 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Milwall A, Sheff Utd A and then Boro A in a row. Could be a defining moment.

I’d be surprised if Milwall isn’t rearranged , expect one of us to be playing in the cup that weekend. 

I hope we take thousands to these three away games, otherwise our away supper will be called into question !

46 minutes ago, daored said:

I’d be surprised if Milwall isn’t rearranged , expect one of us to be playing in the cup that weekend. 

I hope we take thousands to these three away games, otherwise our away supper will be called into question !

It always used to be a few pints and fish and chips in a small town on the way back.

Have things changed?

1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

If ever there was a moment to do free travel it’s this game.

Are beambacks still possible, with all the new “red button” coverage..? 

I would have thought that would be a better option for most. 

Free travel is all well & good, but not much use to most if they need a day or 2 off work and able to get away from commitments at home for the best part of 20 hours. 

Any free travel gesture (which I’ve never been an advocate of) would be better placed for the Millwall or Sheffield games, imo. 

34 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Moules Frites now Phil ? ?

One would be more likely to eat that in the small town of your signature, Loon Plage, as this dish is more popular in the north of France and, especially, just over the Belgian border.

I must say, though, that I do miss stopping in market towns on the way back from away trips for a pint of the local beer and a bite to eat.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

One would be more likely to eat that in the small town of your signature, Loon Plage, as this dish is more popular in the north of France and, especially, just over the Belgian border.

I must say, though, that I do miss stopping in market towns on the way back from away trips for a pint of the local beer and a bite to eat.

Rites of passage Phil.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Free travel is all well & good, but not much use to most if they need a day or 2 off work and able to get away from commitments at home for the best part of 20 hours. 

Any free travel gesture (which I’ve never been an advocate of) would be better placed for the Millwall or Sheffield games, imo. 

I think the Sheffield Utd game would be the best option 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

We will travel well for Millwall, we always do for London clubs.

And also we will take a good crowd away to Sheff Utd too if we are still doing well in the league.

Boro away, it's the time and also the cost of travelling up there on a Tuesday. If we can reduce the cost barrier by providing food and coaches that may get us a few more hundred up there which would be superb.

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yeah, International weekend. I did have half a thought they might play the game during that break to be honest. Not sure if that's allowed but if Boro have players called up as we do then it seemed fair, rather than shoehorn a long away trip amongst a busy period.

Zero chance of any club agreeing to that unless they had no players away and the opposition did!

10 minutes ago, Selred said:

And also we will take a good crowd away to Sheff Utd too if we are still doing well in the league.

Boro away, it's the time and also the cost of travelling up there on a Tuesday. If we can reduce the cost barrier by providing food and coaches that may get us a few more hundred up there which would be superb.

It would be a great gesture from the club to provide free travel to Boro, should encourage a couple of hundred to give us support, I remember the club providing free travel to QPR in th ‘70’s, it seemed that many thousands took advantage of the gesture, don’t think they’ve done it since!!!!

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I can see the argument for it to be Boro. Not that I think it will be for any.

I just think that cost isn’t what will stop me going there on a Tuesday. Work & childcare will stop me & many others. The club could cover the cost of every penny, travel, ticket, food & Cider, and I still wouldn’t be able to make it..! 

I agree that Millwall & Sheffield should attract good followings anyway and that those who can/will go to Boro on a Tuesday are very deserving of any subsidy, although I think those who do go, will go regardless, because they can. Not because travel is cheap or free. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Totally. Should the club ever opt to make the free travel gesture then it should do so for a fixture that would really bump up our support in a way that could make a difference. They could offer lap dances and a free sausage supper and i still doubt all that many would take the day off work to go up to Boro.

However, for an awkward Saturday match up north, then free travel could really be the difference between a decent support of a thousand odd, or a full mobilization of cidered wurzels. 

That said, I doubt the club would ever offer free travel though. You only have to have to look at Saturday's match - so many people on here are now (bafflingly) equating large away followings with crowd trouble, imagine if it went off at a game when the club was actively trying to take as many away fans as possible:  the club would get hammered, much like I'm sure some on here would be hammering Swansea if they had laid-on trains or buses.  

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Totally. Should the club ever opt to make the free travel gesture then it should do so for a fixture that would really bump up our support in a way that could make a difference. They could offer lap dances and a free sausage supper and i still doubt all that many would take the day off work to go up to Boro.

However, for an awkward Saturday match up north, then free travel could really be the difference between a decent support of a thousand odd, or a full mobilization of cidered wurzels. 

That said, I doubt the club would ever offer free travel though. You only have to have to look at Saturday's match - so many people on here are now (bafflingly) equating large away followings with crowd trouble, imagine if it went off at a game when the club was actively trying to take as many away fans as possible:  the club would get hammered, much like I'm sure some on here would be hammering Swansea if they had laid-on trains or buses.  

Free or not, I don’t think many of the troublesome element would take advantage of free travel on CATS..! 

I’ve always been of the thought that if there was free travel, I doubt I’d use it anyway. If I could go, I’d rather make my own way there. 

5 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Not sure how baffling it is to equate a large away following with trouble when I bet three times as many Jacks travelled to Bristol than for pretty much any other away game this season ?

If the club uses up its full allocation at Bramall Lane that would be 3,000 which would be excellent and something that the OB at least up there could handle.

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Not sure how baffling it is to equate a large away following with trouble when I bet three times as many Jacks travelled to Bristol than for pretty much any other away game this season ?

If the club uses up its full allocation at Bramall Lane that would be 3,000 which would be excellent and something that the OB at least up there could handle.

I find it bewildering because there are many examples that occur each weekend of large away followings causing no major disorder at all. A big away following does not automatically lead to running battles in the streets - not in this day and age. In fact, reading the reaction to the size of Swansea's following, you'd have thought that no other team had ever brought that many to AG. That's simply not the case. Many teams have brought as many fans to AG -and sometimes more- with no significant incidents to report. It was always odds on that Swansea would bring a lively mob to AG, and that would have happened whether they'd been given 3,500 tickets or 1,500. 

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Free or not, I don’t think many of the troublesome element would take advantage of free travel on CATS..! 

I’ve always been of the thought that if there was free travel, I doubt I’d use it anyway. If I could go, I’d rather make my own way there. 

Ah, yes, a point I should rethink! In my defence, I was referring more to the club laying on a train, rather than shepherding all onto CATS - but do not mock, the couple of times I travelled on CATS I saw many distressing things! 

22 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Ah, yes, a point I should rethink! In my defence, I was referring more to the club laying on a train, rather than shepherding all onto CATS - but do not mock, the couple of times I travelled on CATS I saw many distressing things! 

I presume you are referring to the infamous Coach 1.

43 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Totally. Should the club ever opt to make the free travel gesture then it should do so for a fixture that would really bump up our support in a way that could make a difference.

Exactly this.

If Boro was free , it would take 2 days of my holiday allocation just like Man City did. The Lady of the house would not be best pleased.

We should save the "FreeBee' for Hull away, when we need one point for the Championship :whistle:

21 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I presume you are referring to the infamous Coach 1.

I'm not totally mental! 

I was on Coach No. 2 a few times when I would have been about 13 or 14, and I remember there were enough oddballs on that. God knows what went on behind the doors of No. 1!

Thinking back to some of the characters, remember an old geezer, Mick, wore a very pungent suit covered in enamel badges (I presume he's probably passed by now), and a lad nicknamed Mr Bean (not to be confused with a City lad with a similar nickname!) who'd always have a plastic bag filled with sandwiches, programs and an assortment of mysterious oddities - on our behest, he would frequently break into the Bean Shuffle. But there'd also be some naughtier teenagers as well,  with Beryl and her crew dispensing firm justice and keeping law and order! 

Happy memories! Beryl Fudge, Ashton Gate's own Iron Lady! 

50 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

2,300 they allocate, we'll sell close to that if we're in the top six anyway at that time of year.

Archived