IGNORED

125 Years

ExiledAjax

Last night Jon Lansdown confirmed that next season we will have a new crest.  He also confirmed that this crest will include the date of 1894 rather than 1897.  This is, I think, the first time that the current powers that be have acknowledged the year of 1894 as our founding year.

The maths wizard's amongst you will no doubt realise that if you subtract 1894 from 2019 you get 125. So, assuming that our first season was the 1894/95 season (and I don't know for sure if that season was split across two years), next season will officially be our 125th season.

I must admit to not really remembering if much was done in 1994 or 1997 to mark 100 years as I was 9 years old in 1997 - did the club go with 1997? However, I am guessing that next season we might see some 125th anniversary celebrations, all marked with a brand new crest, perhaps a "vintage" kit and of course, our inaugural Premier League fixtures.

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Last night Jon Lansdown confirmed that next season we will have a new crest.  He also confirmed that this crest will include the date of 1894 rather than 1897.  This is, I think, the first time that the current powers that be have acknowledged the year of 1894 as our founding year.

The maths wizard's amongst you will no doubt realise that if you subtract 1894 from 2019 you get 125. So, assuming that our first season was the 1894/95 season (and I don't know fro sure if that season was split across two years), next season will officially be our 125th season.

I must admit to not really remembering if much was done in 1994 or 1997 to mark 100 years as I was 9 years old in 1997 - did the club go with 1997? However, I am guessing that next season we might see some 125th anniversary celebrations, all marked with a brand new crest, perhaps a "vintage" kit and of course, our inaugural Premier League fixtures.

1996-97 was the Centenary season,  a special shirt, a video and a book were produced to commemorate it.

34 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

1996-97 was the Centenary season,  a special shirt, a video and a book were produced to commemorate it.

So on that basis we have to wait until 2022/23 season. 

But with the club now putting 1894 on next season's crest they surely have to acknowledge that they were 3 years out for the centenary. To rectify it they'll do something next season I think. 

Perfect timing to introduce a retro kit, maybe a cheeky red and gold third kit?

8 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Are we going to arrange a friendly with Swindon Town next season?

Only way we’re likely to play them in the near future.

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I was right, forgot about the massive badge as well!

0464A357-DEB0-4F62-82C5-395723F938B4.jpeg

I had the white away shirt, it was my 15th birthday present!

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

The maths wizard's amongst you will no doubt realise that if you subtract 1894 from 2019 you get 125. So, assuming that our first season was the 1894/95 season (and I don't know for sure if that season was split across two years), next season will officially be our 125th season.

Same year as Man City, for what it's worth. Who else?

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

The maths wizard's amongst you will no doubt realise that if you subtract 1894 from 2019 you get 125. So, assuming that our first season was the 1894/95 season (and I don't know fro sure if that season was split across two years), next season will officially be our 125th season.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if we were to take 1894-95 as our first season, then our 125th would actually be the current campaign. We turn 125 on 12th April I believe (and thus the year prior has been our 125th year).

However, I don’t think we technically entered an official league/competition until the 1895-96 season (though I’m more than prepared to bow to others’ superior knowledge), so that would make next season our 125th.

That said, we only entered the FA Cup in 1895-96, not competing in a full league campaign until 1896-97 (the Western League). So if we base it on league seasons, we’re actually in our 123rd, and have to wait until 2020-21 for the “biggun”.

HOLD ON, THERE’S MORE?

Of course, if we’re counting league seasons, we missed 4 full seasons during WW1, and a further 7 during WW2 (the 1939-40 season was abandoned after 3 games, and we were only in the FA Cup again in 1945-46).

2031-32 season it is, then!

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Ive got the shirt with all the players names that represented city over it a limited edition kit cant remember what the kit signifies though if any one can help ? 

I think that might have been for 100 years at Ashton Gate, somewhere around 1999-2000

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Anybody got one of these?

Stamps3.jpg

Got that one somewhere!

Archived