IGNORED

Johnson - where he ranks

Devereux

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Exciting (reckless..?) Football, but Danny Wilson failed in the relatively achievable objective of getting us out of the 3rd tier. With the players he had at his disposal, he didn’t do a very good job, in failing to get promoted. 

He also oversaw (allowed..?) a complete lack of discipline  professionalism, which ultimately (possibly) cost several talented players the careers that they may have enjoyed, under better management. 

Fun..? Yes. Sustainable..? No

Absolutely. The squad that Wilson couldn't get promoted was more talented than the one that GJ did take up.

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The stats are interesting. For me, on gut feeling alone and going back to 1990, I would put him ahead of everyone but Jordan, Gary Johnson and Cotterill. Not sure exactly how I would rank those four as it hard to make a direct comparison. Obviously a promotion would put LJ first on that list.

I'd agree with you, Jordon delivered promotion and a 9th place tier 2 finish, Cotterill the brilliant double season and GJ so near to promotion to the prem. At the moment the best LJ has done in the league is 11th place finish, he needs to improve on that this season as SL is on record as expecting it.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I'd agree with you, Jordon delivered promotion and a 9th place tier 2 finish, Cotterill the brilliant double season and GJ so near to promotion to the prem. At the moment the best LJ has done in the league is 11th place finish, he needs to improve on that this season as SL is on record as expecting it.

Its tricky because he can't offer the league one promotion that many of the others have so we can only compare his success at this level, and include a cup semi too. 

If we finish 8th in the league or higher does LJ rate higher than Jordan? 

And if we lose in the play-off final (shudder) does he rate as level with his dad?

8 hours ago, Devereux said:

Hollis had two spells (in the football league) as follows:

Spell 1: Sep 1902 - Feb 1905

• Overall - 137 games
  • Overall - Win% 48%
  • Tier 2 - See above
  • Tier 2 - See above

Spell 2: Jan 1911 - Mar 1913

• Overall - 92 games
  • Overall - Win% 29%
  • Tier 1 - 18 games
  • Tier 1 - Win% 22%
  • Tier 2 - 71 games
  • Tier 2 - Win% 32%

Likewise Joe Jordan had two spells as follows:

Spell 1: Mar 1988 - Sept 1990

• Overall - 138 games
  • Overall - Win% 51%
  • Tier 2 - 4 games
  • Tier 2 - Win% 50%

Spell 2: Nov 1994 - Mar 1997

• Overall - 130 games
  • Overall - Win% 32%
  • Tier 2 - 30 games
  • Tier 2 - Win% 23%

What a dark day that was in September 1990, took us years to recover from that. I often wonder what our path would have been had he stayed. 

Our time must come. Got to stop thinking haven't we done well. We're in the top six because we're good enough. Go up in the play-offs or die trying I say.

As always and with every subject, Stats can be misleading but factual whereas opinions will vary for numerous reasons.

This topic is the same.I'm lucky enough to have seen the AD era and was sad when thousands turned against him for many years and hope that doesn't happen for this great LJ era.

I suppose the only way it won't is if he leaves us at the top position of our recent (45) year history?

For many on here LJ will be the highest rank in their lifetime of watching.Well done Lee.

23 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

It's an interesting analysis...thank you, I'm surprised AD isn't higher in Tier 2

We spent a long time one lower reaches of the 2nd division while AD was 'building for the future'! First 5 years we didn't finish above 14th. There was a bit more patience in those days; there would be a few coronaries on OTIB if LJ was given that level of tolerance! 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

We spent a long time one lower reaches of the 2nd division while AD was 'building for the future'! First 5 years we didn't finish above 14th. There was a bit more patience in those days; there would be a few coronaries on OTIB if LJ was given that level of tolerance! 

I'm sure your analysis is spot on, I just didn't remember us being that bad for that long but upon reflection, AD was here for a long time before our great youth team players filtered into the 1st XI...Merrick, Gow, Richie et all.

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson 48% win rate. Played the best footie I’ve seen at AG  in decades. Such a shame he didn’t win anything.

Sadly he will always be remembered for the Playoff final disaster.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not by me - although it was a huge disappointment.

I remembered him for the great football he delivered. They were halcyon days under Wilson.

Has “Halcyon” had its definition changed to “failing to produce when it really mattered, probably because of over intoxication” 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Has “Halcyon” had its definition changed to “failing to produce when it really mattered, probably because of over intoxication” 

They were all piss artists for sure....but his teams produced some scintillating stuff nonetheless.

Archived