IGNORED

3 years ago today....

BCFC1512

Yes he has been a fantastic manager for us, improved league position every season and took us to a national semi final whilst making a profit on transfers. Credit to Lansdown for not listening to the more trigger happy elements of our support during the inevitable dips in form and seeing the bigger picture.

After 2 years of boom and bust and some dire performances before November (Sheff Wed and Hull springs to mind) it looks as though we might, just might (barring injuries to our forward players) be starting to find some consistency at last and you can see the belief in the players as they are playing more freely. Some recent substitution decisions by LJ have worked well, but every now and again he makes some bizarre   ones.

Let’s just hope we don’t get too carried away with recent results and start getting the rose-tinted specs on as there is still a lot of football left to be played this season.

The next few months are a real test. If LJ can motivate the players and work magic so that they can deal with the pressure in the top 6 then great, well done and finally we can appreciate the benefit of sticking with and believing in a manager who at one point gave the club it’s worst run of results in it’s entire history! There is no other club I can think of that would have allowed that situation to happen?

The managerial merry-go-round is an absolute joke these days and football needs a success story to possibly put an end to the ridiculous hiring and firing of managers after 5 minutes and the story is there to be written for our very own LJ providing he has got what it takes.

For the good of Bristol City I hope he gets to write that story come May!

17 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

Edited it for you. 

All jokes aside he’s doing a great job even if it has been a rollercoaster three years. 

People have decided it's been a rollercoaster, last season was, this season? It really depends whether you consider 4 losses in a row a real streak or just something that happens to the majority of clubs at Championship level. We have been pretty consistent up to xmas and we are now starting to build on that.

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

People have decided it's been a rollercoaster, last season was, this season? It really depends whether you consider 4 losses in a row a real streak or just something that happens to the majority of clubs at Championship level. We have been pretty consistent up to xmas and we are now starting to build on that.

I mean the three years have been a rollercoaster, relegation battles, record losing runs, cup semifinals, promotion pushes but falling well short then selling some of our best players but rebuilding and having another strong push this season, it’s definitely not been boring.

i agree with your last two sentences, it’s really easy to lose four on the spin in this league without even playing particularly bad.

Three years ago there was a lot of anger at Lansdown for  bringing in LJ when we hadn’t considered some top managers who were available ( if that isn’t a contradiction in terms) .

It appeared very cosy and a ‘ jobs for the boys ‘ appointment.

In part , It was , but as fans we are not party to all that goes on behind the scenes and clearly SL wanted someone he knew and trusted to deliver his project.

The right decision ? 

It’s looking that way. 

I am happy with where we are currently as a club and though I have voiced concerns about certain aspects , which I thought were lacking , I have much more confidence now.

Well done Lee Johnson .

Well done Steve Lansdown for sticking to your guns .

Don’t take your eyes off the prize. 

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Three years ago there was a lot of anger at Lansdown for  bringing in LJ when we hadn’t considered some top managers who were available ( if that isn’t a contradiction in terms) .

It appeared very cosy and a ‘ jobs for the boys ‘ appointment.

In part , It was , but as fans we are not party to all that goes on behind the scenes and clearly SL wanted someone he knew and trusted to deliver his project.

The right decision ? 

It’s looking that way. 

I am happy with where we are currently as a club and though I have voiced concerns about certain aspects , which I thought were lacking , I have much more confidence now.

Well done Lee Johnson .

Well done Steve Lansdown for sticking to your guns .

Don’t take your eyes off the prize. 

I'm not disputing LJ has done a great job, he's certainly made the business side easier for Lansdown but there will always be that "what if" about Warnock. I hated the guy 3 years ago and I still think he's a **** from time to time now, he also plays horrible football but something no-one can take away from him is how successful he is in the Championship. 

That said I'm much happier with LJ's football and last season there were periods where we looked like a top half Premier league team which was a new experience for me. 

I think the biggest credit Lansdown deserves is sticking with LJ, I don't remember another club doing that since Ferguson with United and I was a kid then. Takes a lot of courage as a fan of this club to stand against the majority of the fanbase and say "I know best", especially with a track record of mistakes. 

According to Wikipedia - Johnson is currently the 14th longest serving manager in the PL and EFL. In the championship - 2nd behind Neil Harris at Millwall.

Hopefully we are now seeing the benefit of this stability. I think we can all see as well that he has matured into the role now - his David Brent moments seem to be getting less and less

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

After 2 years of boom and bust and some dire performances before November (Sheff Wed and Hull springs to mind) it looks as though we might, just might (barring injuries to our forward players) be starting to find some consistency at last and you can see the belief in the players as they are playing more freely. Some recent substitution decisions by LJ have worked well, but every now and again he makes some bizarre   ones.

Let’s just hope we don’t get too carried away with recent results and start getting the rose-tinted specs on as there is still a lot of football left to be played this season.

The next few months are a real test. If LJ can motivate the players and work magic so that they can deal with the pressure in the top 6 then great, well done and finally we can appreciate the benefit of sticking with and believing in a manager who at one point gave the club it’s worst run of results in it’s entire history! There is no other club I can think of that would have allowed that situation to happen?

The managerial merry-go-round is an absolute joke these days and football needs a success story to possibly put an end to the ridiculous hiring and firing of managers after 5 minutes and the story is there to be written for our very own LJ providing he has got what it takes.

For the good of Bristol City I hope he gets to write that story come May!

⬆️ ?

11 minutes ago, HanwellRed said:

Yup me too. Remember Tomlin's pen looked awful but went in somehow and we managed to get LJ's reign off to a winning start.

Never quite sure whether that very important win counts on his record, if he was appointed or announced - not that it matters, at the time a vital result.

Cannot be many long standing managers which three years is now, that have the clubs longest losing run on their cv. I remember an OTIB poll at the time after Preston had something like 95% voting for him to go, and I was pretty sure those voting no were gas fans! In hindsight, it worked out, and SL showed a lot of courage in supporting him. Think he could only have been a couple of poor results away after Preston from going.

He has a hugely supportive Chair, and that must be worth a lot to him. My only nagging doubt is there is something about his self belief that I think if he continues to perform we will lose him anyway to his next bigger challenge, whatever that might be.

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Never quite sure whether that very important win counts on his record, if he was appointed or announced - not that it matters, at the time a vital result.

Whilst Johnson had been announced, the Charlton game was officially a Pembo game. This from the report on the OS:

"Johnson’s appointment on a three-and-a-half-year deal signalled this would be the last of five games in charge for City’s interim management team of John Pemberton and Wade Elliott."

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/report-charlton-0-1-bristol-city

Archived