IGNORED

Groundhoppers of OTIB - whats the best stadium you've been to?

Eastside Moonwalker

I'm going to be coming back from Germany this year sometime back to Bristol and want to experience some of the 92 stadiums that are on the football ground map website that I have seen posted here before . 

Obviously it's quite easy to tick the championship ones off the list when I'm back just by following City. 

The question is what in your opinion has been the best stadium/random match you've been to?  

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not one of the 92 but holker Street in barrow. It was about - 3 when I went, stood on a terrace with the North Sea breeze coming in and it was a 0-0... 

Great little ground though, and friendly locals

I'm puzzled. Barrow (in Furness) is on the west coast at north end of Morecambe Bay. How does a North Sea breeze occur there?

Went to Stadio Olimpico for Roma-Inter in August 2017 when on holiday over there.

Was modernised to an extent 2008 to bring it up to CL standards but less flash than AG certainly- but undoubtedly generates a great atmosphere. (Mind you less restrictions, can drink in view of pitch for one- in fact they sell you beer in the stadium bowl itself!). Naturally I got my tickets in the bit near the home Curva, the Distinti Sud as opposed to some (probably pricier) side Stand and particularly one which is a neutral zone. Avoided that! I looked for the Curva but it appears it's season ticket only.

Quite a few grounds in the UK big and small will be more modern than it, I'd say we have better facilities, certainly pound for pound tbh- but then I didn't go for the facilities!

Roma are moving to a new ground so I'm glad I got to experience what was likely a rawer environment.

Not entirely answering your question, but deviating from the 92 you ask about I'd say that Twerton is one of the most unique grounds there is, and a brilliant visit now it's lost its former tenants (though you can still see some Gas grafiti on the terraces!). There's not many grounds with that much character, and obviously being down the road from Bristol its a cinch to tick off. Love visiting it as a neutral and being able to walk around checking out my old view point from the away end, etc.

Brentford, I'm imagining you've done, but if not then bear in mind this is their last season - it's one of the classic grounds IMO and HAS to be done before its bulldozed if you've not visited. 

Away from the leagues again, I think York are also leaving Bootham Crescent this season.

Totally deviating from your question - whilst you're still out in Germany, get the train out to Poland! I'm very active out here going to matches and am approaching my 50th ground there now. Some of them are truly bonkers, and the matchday experience - provided you pick the right game - will send shivers down the spine! the football experience here is utterly bonkers compared to England. 

Incidentally, if you're not on it, there's a brill facebook page called Football Stadia & Grounds that is brilliant for ideas and ground-related memories and banter both for England and abroad. Few sound City lads on there as well. 

One of my personal highlights was watching Alan Shearer score a header in the UEFA cup at St James Park against Sporting Lisbon. Sat in the very back row of the large stand behind the goal. Also seem to recall at the time I was wearing a Red and White striped Tee Shirt which in hindsight probably wasn't the best outfit to be wearing at this game!

Of more recent trips, I enjoyed a trip out to Sunderland in October. Was a good atmosphere there and wasn't prepared for the size of the Stadium of Light (like a small Old Trafford!). Was a cold crisp Saturday afternoon and hopped onto the metro after the game to the next town along the coast and had a cracking no thrills fish and chips in a café by the sea!

Of the smaller, more quaint grounds, I really enjoyed Gigg Lane. Something unusual about the stadium that I couldn't quite work out. Lots of character and a decent game helped.

Everton, if not already visited is definitely worth a trip, and worth enduring the pillars and obscured views, before the stadium is demolished and they move to another characterless replica of the Etihad/Emirates/London Stadium!

15 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Not random because each occasion I've been I was following City but I think Deepdale, Preston is a great stadium. Plus we have them in just under a month...

Still recovering from my last trip their on a certain Tuesday night, where we were so poor the players refunded tickets! Can't remember a victory their. Been up there 3 or 4 times and the best result I can remember is a 2 - 2 draw on Dean Gerken's Debut if I remember correctly?

Used to have the national football museum in the corner of the ground until relocated to Manchester didn't it?

11 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Not entirely answering your question, but deviating from the 92 you ask about I'd say that Twerton is one of the most unique grounds there is, and a brilliant visit now it's lost its former tenants (though you can still see some Gas grafiti on the terraces!). There's not many grounds with that much character, and obviously being down the road from Bristol its a cinch to tick off. Love visiting it as a neutral and being able to walk around checking out my old view point from the away end, etc.

Brentford, I'm imagining you've done, but if not then bear in mind this is their last season - it's one of the classic grounds IMO and HAS to be done before its bulldozed if you've not visited. 

Away from the leagues again, I think York are also leaving Bootham Crescent this season.

Totally deviating from your question - whilst you're still out in Germany, get the train out to Poland! I'm very active out here going to matches and am approaching my 50th ground there now. Some of them are truly bonkers, and the matchday experience - provided you pick the right game - will send shivers down the spine! the football experience here is utterly bonkers compared to England. 

Incidentally, if you're not on it, there's a brill facebook page called Football Stadia & Grounds that is brilliant for ideas and ground-related memories and banter both for England and abroad. Few sound City lads on there as well. 

Never been to any of the grounds in Bath or in fact most of them in the SW actually, when I'm back I'm going to try catch a Bath game, Forest Green, Swindle, Cheltenham game etc - will give it a go when im there cheers for the suggestion

Im on the wrong side of Germany atm for that mate (Poland) , got tickets for Utrecht vs Excelsior coming up, trying to get to Willem II and a few of the Dutch grounds too

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Also for sheer size - Wembley, San Siro and Westfalenstadion in Dortmund were unbelievable.

I did the Veltins arena (schalke) on a stadium tour on a non match day, not quite the same but I can imagine that is special when rocking

Schalke fans are completely mental, where I live its either FC Köln, Schalke or BVB. Was there in the cold vs Wolfsburg not long ago, fans still going crazy in -4 weather

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I went to Bologna in early September a few years ago. Gorgeous weather and a great historic stadium where David Platt scored in Italia 90

Spooky

Was just mulling over grounds I enjoyed

Having been there , that balmy night in 90 (And one of my favourite witnessed moments in all the football I’ve seen) in a unique stadium with the steppest bowl terracing I’ve ever witnessed.....

Bologna came very much to mind 

1 minute ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Never been to any of the grounds in Bath or in fact most of them in the SW actually, when I'm back I'm going to try catch a Bath game, Forest Green, Swindle, Cheltenham game etc - will give it a go when im there cheers for the suggestion

Im on the wrong side of Germany atm for that mate (Poland) , got tickets for Utrecht vs Excelsior coming up, trying to get to Willem II and a few of the Dutch grounds too

Cheltenham is also great as a day out both for football and a few beers after!

Incidentally, did you ever visit Union Berlin? 

1 minute ago, poland_exile said:

Cheltenham is also great as a day out both for football and a few beers after!

Incidentally, did you ever visit Union Berlin? 

Yeah was there with a mate from Norway early 2018, my favourite in Berlin was Berliner Dynamo though, weird vibes due to being the former DDR team, shit football, shit beer, interesting people, cool stadium and a police force which seems way too over the top for a team of their size made for good laughs, met a few lads from Cardiff there actually

2 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Yeah was there with a mate from Norway early 2018, my favourite in Berlin was Berliner Dynamo though, weird vibes due to being the former DDR team, shit football, shit beer, interesting people, cool stadium and a police force which seems way too over the top for a team of their size made for good laughs, met a few lads from Cardiff there actually

Just googled - brilliant! Am off on a stag there in a couple of months and obviously, first thoughts are of football rather than the morons I'll be with :D 

Most of my favourite grounds are in Germany TBH.

Westfalenstadion is just awesome, love the place but have been lucky enough to go to Shi  Shalke, DDV stadion Dresden, St Pauli, Hamburg, the Allianz arena and the Olympiastadion in Berlin.

WFS is the best IMHO, that terrace is just incredible although the new(ish) Hamburg stadium is quite some place. 

In England, I have to say the new White hart lane looks incredible judging by the pictures, loving that single bank of seating. 

Again, not one of the 92 but visited the Nou Camp a few years ago. Quite staggering how limited the view is in some spots. The gradient is so small at parts that you're almost on the same level as the people 15 rows infront of you, not to mention the overhang of the 2nd tier meaning you cant see any of the sky. Definitely not one for the claustrophobic . On the other hand, the Bernabeau is one of the steepest stadiums I've seen. Very clear view of the pitch from the back rows but not one for the faint-hearted.

37 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I went to Bologna in early September a few years ago. Gorgeous weather and a great historic stadium where David Platt scored in Italia 90

I love Bologna, been 3 times, just as beautiful as Florence, but nowhere near the amount of people, and the foods amazing!  If you stay in the Savoie Regency hotel on the day Bologna play at home, they away team always stays there, as was the case this year when Inter were in the hotel and I got some autographs

54 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Im pretty sure Brentford have one more season before moving to Lionel Road

10 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

Again, not one of the 92 but visited the Nou Camp a few years ago. Quite staggering how limited the view is in some spots. The gradient is so small at parts that you're almost on the same level as the people 15 rows infront of you, not to mention the overhang of the 2nd tier meaning you cant see any of the sky. Definitely not one for the claustrophobic . On the other hand, the Bernabeau is one of the steepest stadiums I've seen. Very clear view of the pitch from the back rows but not one for the faint-hearted.

I liked the Nou Camp too. 

I also liked the Olympic Stadiums in Barcelona and Berlin. 

Then there’s Wembley of course, both old and new - and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. 

Someone mentioned Deepdale - I was up there for the final game of our promotion season under John Ward. Preston won of course (as the gods of football have decreed). I was in the Tom Finney stand with the home fans and was very impressed with the setup - a bar which seemed to go the length of the ground, and TV screens showing highlights of the first half. 

Our own Ashton Gate is quite nice now too!!!

The Nou Camp is incredible but I've not actually seen a game there and I've not seen many games outside the UK. Wembley is actually my favourite of the big stadiums I've been to - bar the public transport to get away again afterwards. 

Brighton is a lovely day out if the weather is good, and Leeds has the best home fans I've seen but, for reasons I cannot explain and I expect nobody to agree with, Millwall is my favourite away trip I've done. I'd admit there's definitely something slightly masochistic in that. 

• SC&T Board Members
37 minutes ago, OneWordCityNerd said:

FC Union!!!!

A quality club, indeed (my German club). I'd say the OP won't find any ground better among the 92 than he's already got in Berlin: the Alte Foersterei! And, also in Germany, as others have said, the Westfalenstadion is a bit special, especially with 12,000 Union fans in it (5 hours from home on a Wednesday night).

Archived