IGNORED

Groundhoppers of OTIB - whats the best stadium you've been to?

Eastside Moonwalker

16 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

A quality club, indeed (my German club). I'd say the OP won't find any ground better among the 92 than he's already got in Berlin: the Alte Foersterei! And, also in Germany, as others have said, the Westfalenstadion is a bit special, especially with 12,000 Union fans in it (5 hours from home on a Wednesday night).

There is a City fan who is a shareholder in Union Berlin. I watched a COPA90 YouTube documentary and he was in it, and I have (weirdly, I know) seen him at Ashton Gate and also on a flight from Bristol to Berlin a few years ago.

I wonder if he posts on here...

51 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I love Bologna, been 3 times, just as beautiful as Florence, but nowhere near the amount of people, and the foods amazing!  If you stay in the Savoie Regency hotel on the day Bologna play at home, they away team always stays there, as was the case this year when Inter were in the hotel and I got some autographs

Bologna high on my list! I've heard the stadium is being revamped shortly, so the clock is ticking for me. been obsessed with that ground since Italia 90! Heard the town is beautiful and all! 

Modern: MK Dons is good, Wembley is awful but compared to the old one it's paradise

Old school: Loftus Road, Brentford, Luton, Watford's not bad

Hilarious: not been to the Mem (why would I?). Oxford Kassam only has 3 stands. Exeter's is meant to be proper bonkers.

Abroad: Marseille Stade Velodrome looks wild, also the nutty Monaco ground

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

For me Craven Cottage is up there.

From the walk through the park along the Thames, the old barriers, to the old cottage inside plus we have done very well there of late. 

Old school. 

Just beat me to it. It’s like being back in the 1960s. And you can stand in the away end, watching the boats on the river during any dull moments.

How long before they redevelop it into something smart but boring?

25 minutes ago, Selred said:

For me Craven Cottage is up there.

From the walk through the park along the Thames, the old barriers, to the old cottage inside plus we have done very well there of late. 

Old school. 

I've mixed views on Craven Cottage. It's a lovely ground, really nice views and - as you say - an actual cottage, plus a seemingly guaranteed win every time. The only thing for me is, unless the away fans are in good voice (which we certainly were in the 4-0 away win a couple of seasons back) there is little in the way of atmosphere due to how quiet the home fans are. 

Bristol Manor Farm @ The Creek is a pretty cool location to watch football in the UK.

Newcastle is the best league away day in the country in terms of stadium and location and experience (as long as you like heights). I do like Preston too, but I have no idea why.

Saw Barcelona beat Valencia 4-0 at home once which was an incredible spectacle. Ground is amazing as it seems.

Aesthetically thr Allianz is probably the best I've been to, although I saw the only game Bayern lost at home that season so was a bit subdued.

Out of football I was lucky enough to see the Knicks-Bulls at Madison Square Gardens. As an experience it was a bit of a shock. Constant blaring entertainment at every time out, live band at HT, different sets of cheerleaders. Bit different from nipping to the concourse for a piss and a pint at AG!

Out of that lot Barca was the best experience as its the only one where the home team won.

19 minutes ago, Leveller said:

How long before they redevelop it into something smart but boring?

They are planning to redevelop the home stand that is next to the river and have planning permission in place I believe. I think the fact that the actual cottage is grade listed (not sure if I or II) prevents a full redevelopment. Agree it's a cracking stadium, how many others can you arrive at by boat?

11 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Saw Barcelona beat Valencia 4-0 at home once which was an incredible spectacle. Ground is amazing as it seems.

Aesthetically thr Allianz is probably the best I've been to, although I saw the only game Bayern lost at home that season so was a bit subdued.

Out of football I was lucky enough to see the Knicks-Bulls at Madison Square Gardens. As an experience it was a bit of a shock. Constant blaring entertainment at every time out, live band at HT, different sets of cheerleaders. Bit different from nipping to the concourse for a piss and a pint at AG!

Out of that lot Barca was the best experience as its the only one where the home team won.

I’m not into American sport at all, but decided to visit Fenway Park for a baseball game when in a Boston. That’s old and quirky in a New England way, with a huge wall in one corner. The experience seemed halfway to cricket, with a lot of people not really concentrating on the game, but wandering around, buying food in their seats and so on.

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, devoncider said:

There is a City fan who is a shareholder in Union Berlin. I watched a COPA90 YouTube documentary and he was in it, and I have (weirdly, I know) seen him at Ashton Gate and also on a flight from Bristol to Berlin a few years ago.

I wonder if he posts on here...

I am Spartacus!

PS: You can't be a shareholder in a members' club. It's a CLUB, not a limited company. You can be something much more important: a voting member. Union is a members' club, not the toy thing of a rich owner. We, the members, ARE the club.

5 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I'm going to be coming back from Germany this year sometime back to Bristol and want to experience some of the 92 stadiums that are on the football ground map website that I have seen posted here before . 

Obviously it's quite easy to tick the championship ones off the list when I'm back just by following City. 

The question is what in your opinion has been the best stadium/random match you've been to?  

Best:  Arsenal Emirates, just so plush.  I really liked Shrewsbury’s new ground for its simplicity.

Random: Hertha v Stuttgart at the Olympic Stadium (my stag weekend)

Estadio do Bessa which is like a traditional English ground in Porto where Boavista play, but with huge banked stands with outrageous rakes. 

Image result for boavista stadium

It's a really really odd stadium and I'd strongly suggest it to anyone who happens to be in that area of Portugal.

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’m not into American sport at all, but decided to visit Fenway Park for a baseball game when in a Boston. That’s old and quirky in a New England way, with a huge wall in one corner. The experience seemed halfway to cricket, with a lot of people not really concentrating on the game, but wandering around, buying food in their seats and so on.

It was the same for me. Went to Yankees Stadium in New York for a match. Despite it being a sellout the stands were never more than half full, people would wander in, sit down for a couple of innings and disappear.

It was also strange the way people only seemed to clap and cheer when told to by the scoreboard.

A very different experience from sport in this country for sure.

Villa Park for me. Proper old fashioned ground on the outside. Huge home end in The Holte and always a lot of noise when full. 

I used to love the old Dean Court too before they rotated the pitch through 90 degrees and rebuilt the stadium.

The old Highbury was very atmospheric too 

One of my favourites for obscure grounds is Quick Boys of Katwyck in Holland. Went there day after the England game in Amsterdam last year and enjoyed that ground much better - think English non league ground but with fans letter off flares and bouncing around all game all with the back drop of huge sand dunes and the sea in the background.

definately a theme of england games are the side trips for example another favourite is Albacete the day after the england match in Alicante. Loads of england fans welcomed into the away 'end' for free supporting Tenerife.

Other than that my favourite is probably Boca Juniors - just a completely unique ground in an amazing area of Buenos Aires. Also enjoyed Bologna like some others have said. 

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Has anyone been to Stadio San Paulo in Naples? That is the one I always hear is incredible for old school atmosphere.  Supposedly falling apart but just insane for everything else...despite the running track.

That is on my bucket list- not been but want to! Same as Dortmund.

Another good one apparently is Genoa's ground- well I say Genoa''s ground, they share with Sampdoria. Not been, but want to.

pict1574-largejpg.jpg

wvptts1423704657.jpg

I like it because it's close to the pitch, English style ground yet in an Italian type atmosphere, with the tolerance levels the- Curva, allowed to drink in view of the pitch etc. Decent design too!

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

On a road trip in the north east of the US, I took a two day detour to Boston, simply to visit Fenway Park. Totally worth it. The only downside is that I planned it particularly badly, as we ended up leaving Boston just as the Yankees arrived in town for a series. One day later and I could have witnessed a Sox v Yankees game at Fenway... Ah well, at least I'll get to see them play in London this year! 

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is on my bucket list- not been but want to! Same as Dortmund.

Another good one apparently is Genoa's ground- well I say Genoa''s ground, they share with Sampdoria. Not been, but want to.

pict1574-largejpg.jpg

wvptts1423704657.jpg

I like it because it's close to the pitch, English style ground yet in an Italian type atmosphere, with the tolerance levels the- Curva, allowed to drink in view of the pitch etc. Decent design too!

Not done Napoli but have done Dortmund and Genoa / Sampdoria. Dortmund was okay but it was watching Germany v england so we didn't get the whole yellow wall experience.

Definately recommend Genoa. We saw sampdoria v chievo last season and as you say feels like an English ground - a bit like a smaller Villa Park I'd say. It does make you realise what facilities we have at Ashton gate though (and in England generally). The ground is so dated with concourse areas smelling like an NCP car park, seats missing etc. I did love it though!

11 minutes ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

Not done Napoli but have done Dortmund and Genoa / Sampdoria. Dortmund was okay but it was watching Germany v england so we didn't get the whole yellow wall experience.

Definately recommend Genoa. We saw sampdoria v chievo last season and as you say feels like an English ground - a bit like a smaller Villa Park I'd say. It does make you realise what facilities we have at Ashton gate though (and in England generally). The ground is so dated with concourse areas smelling like an NCP car park, seats missing etc. I did love it though!

Thanks- definitely will check it out, all of these hopefully. Genoa sounds and looks good and Dortmund is renowned!

Facilities? Think the excellent facilities we have...we're more comfortable now, all seater, different expectations of fans to even 10-20 years ago. For an undoubtedly big club's ground (Olimpico- Roma and Lazio)- the facilities were not all that. Yet if anything it added to the experience. EastEnd prime example- worst stand in the ground post standing for facilities and the like, yet a great place to watch football.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

It was the same for me. Went to Yankees Stadium in New York for a match. Despite it being a sellout the stands were never more than half full, people would wander in, sit down for a couple of innings and disappear.

It was also strange the way people only seemed to clap and cheer when told to by the scoreboard.

A very different experience from sport in this country for sure.

Osaka Dome for the baseball was mind blowing at the time, went not long after it opened and I’d never seen anything like it.  The Japanese tend to stay in their seats more than the yanks too.

Bizarre experience for someone more used to Colchester away in the Layer Road days.

Used to like the Stockport ground too.  Proper old school stadium.

Archived