IGNORED

Groundhoppers of OTIB - whats the best stadium you've been to?

Eastside Moonwalker

I’ve been to two games in South America. The first was Boca’s la Bombanera which was the most intimidating place I’ve ever been; it makes Millwall look like a crèche. The game was between Boca Juniors and Lanus so was a Buenos Aires Derby. The ground is also a thing of beauty:

35BE588C-E35E-4AB6-86CA-2E0178828486.jpeg.8ad6c017faf2040a49fee327e90596ef.jpeg

96F3DF93-4AA3-4406-98DE-9DC58A6367BE.jpeg.ee76476dfd31efa94b8469025bb95f47.jpeg

I also went to the Maracanã to watch Flamengo v Athletico Paranaense. Admittedly it was since it was renovated but it was an amazing place to watch football. 

Both the Camp Neu and the Bernabau are stunning stadiums. See matches at both when they were full. Amazing experiences.

Strangley enough my favourite UK stadium is the Ricoh. A wonderful D shape design. I really lik it. Shame we don’t play them in the league these days.

Worst - thankfully now torn down had to be the old Ninnion Park. What a shit dump that place was...

I remember being really impressed with Anfield when we beat them there when Tinman scored. 

The old Wembley was a bit of a dump but there was a magical aura about it. I wish they could have found a way to keep the twin towers. 

Other than that I agree with Ole that Newcastle is a great away day - central location, impressive ground, friendly city. 

I always liked Port Vale’s ground as well. Wasn’t it meant to become the Wembley of the north when it was built?

Glebe Park Brechin is quite interesting with a hedge all down one side of the pitch, the pitch only being 60something yards wide too.

In my Bristol/Bordeaux exchange days I liked the Stade Lescure, with its vaulted roof, obelisk and giant archway. The floodlights used to move up and down with a pulley system. It was a velodrome and people used to sit on the banked part of the track before it was modernised.

8 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Again, not one of the 92 but visited the Nou Camp a few years ago. Quite staggering how limited the view is in some spots. The gradient is so small at parts that you're almost on the same level as the people 15 rows infront of you, not to mention the overhang of the 2nd tier meaning you cant see any of the sky. Definitely not one for the claustrophobic . On the other hand, the Bernabeau is one of the steepest stadiums I've seen. Very clear view of the pitch from the back rows but not one for the faint-hearted.

The setting sun view of Barcelona from the back is beautiful though. Honestly, higher is better there imo. The Bernabeau is huge but not anything special imo.

My favourite is the San Siro. In winter when the fog comes in it is a really intimidating place.

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I did the stadium tour at the Olympiastadion in Munich a couple of years back, very historic and unique in design.

I did it in 2001 prior to the England game, along with hundreds of others who had originally bought tickets for the home end ?

The old home park in 1995.

What a wake up call to away day football that was to a 15 year old me.

15 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I did it in 2001 prior to the England game, along with hundreds of others who had originally bought tickets for the home end ?

The old home park in 1995.

What a wake up call to away day football that was to a 15 year old me.

Ah yes, the old Home Park. Lots of character and always quite feisty. Walking through the park behind the away end (there used to be an away pub on the other side of that park) was always an experience. 

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

I’ve been to two games in South America. The first was Boca’s la Bombanera which was the most intimidating place I’ve ever been; it makes Millwall look like a crèche. The game was between Boca Juniors and Lanus so was a Buenos Aires Derby. The ground is also a thing of beauty:

35BE588C-E35E-4AB6-86CA-2E0178828486.jpeg.8ad6c017faf2040a49fee327e90596ef.jpeg

96F3DF93-4AA3-4406-98DE-9DC58A6367BE.jpeg.ee76476dfd31efa94b8469025bb95f47.jpeg

I also went to the Maracanã to watch Flamengo v Athletico Paranaense. Admittedly it was since it was renovated but it was an amazing place to watch football. 

I went to San Lorenzo v Boca on my visit to Buenos Aires: not a particularly charismatic stadium but a tremendous atmosphere in what was the major local derby of the season since I recall River Plate had been relegated. I do hope to get back for a Boca home game at some point.

Staying on that continent, I did get to a few games in the Brazil world cup, and the Mineirão in Belo Horizonte was excellent.

10497448_10152561557844808_5254393866151058110_o.thumb.jpg.69dfe617c3459e4e6485b76dc2b04a98.jpg

My top 5 grounds in no particular order:

- Rasunda Stadium in Stockholm. went a number of years ago for a Stockholm derby and the atmosphere was nuts. proper old school ground with loads of history

- Griffin Park. Going to be a big loss to English football when that is knocked down next year

- Stade Velodrome in Marseille. was there for the Russia game in the euros, very impressive stadium.

- Donbass Arena Donetsk. I am not usually a fan of newbuilds but this one was decent

- Dean Court before they done it up. use to love the away terrace there which we always packed out and was always a good away day.

10 hours ago, devoncider said:

I went to Bologna in early September a few years ago. Gorgeous weather and a great historic stadium where David Platt scored in Italia 90

I was there too! One of my best moments following England. Great days!

As was a few other City fans I know including @weepywall @BobBobSuperBob

Nou Camp takes some beating when it is full. Been there several times to watch Barca. Air tickets £50 return from Bristol airport if you buy them right.

Maybe not the best stadium, but my best match day experience was the one time we were away to Rushden & Diamonds.

As I drove to the ground, two Stewards stopped to ask if I was watching the game or just dropping someone off. They then directed me to a large, free, tarmac (not loose gravel) car park. Those Stewards remained there throughout the game to ensure cars weren't stolen or vandalised. Approaching the ground the programme sellers and gate operators all said "please" & "thank you". Inside the ground te refreshments were reasonably priced, hot food was very hot and the staff actually seemed interested in serving you. Further in and showing my ticket to te Stewards inside, they didn't just say "Up there mate", they directed us to our seats.

After the game, we were able to chat & joke with them about how the game had gone. Outside, those car park Stewards were now directing traffic so everyone was soon away.

28 minutes ago, 22A said:

Maybe not the best stadium, but my best match day experience was the one time we were away to Rushden & Diamonds.

As I drove to the ground, two Stewards stopped to ask if I was watching the game or just dropping someone off. They then directed me to a large, free, tarmac (not loose gravel) car park. Those Stewards remained there throughout the game to ensure cars weren't stolen or vandalised. Approaching the ground the programme sellers and gate operators all said "please" & "thank you". Inside the ground te refreshments were reasonably priced, hot food was very hot and the staff actually seemed interested in serving you. Further in and showing my ticket to te Stewards inside, they didn't just say "Up there mate", they directed us to our seats.

After the game, we were able to chat & joke with them about how the game had gone. Outside, those car park Stewards were now directing traffic so everyone was soon away.

I usually have a belly full of natch on the way to away games every games magic ?

11 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Cheltenham is also great as a day out both for football and a few beers after!

Incidentally, did you ever visit Union Berlin? 

yes I visited in their prezlaunerberg ground and the one way out on the outskirts of Berlin, that game was against Dynamo Dresden, to say it went off was an understatement.

Ive also been to the Amsrerdam Arena, seeing the ajax mob throw bombs and petrol bombs at the Feyenoord trains was a eye opener, what really personified the hatred was 3 vans full of F-side lads drive full pelt into Feyenoords mob and then get out and steam into them.

PS What a stadium.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

yes I visited in their prezlaunerberg ground and the one way out on the outskirts of Berlin, that game was against Dynamo Dresden, to say it went off was an understatement.

Ive also been to the Amsrerdam Arena, seeing the ajax mob throw bombs and petrol bombs at the Feyenoord trains was a eye opener, what really personified the hatred was 3 vans full of F-side lads drive full pelt into Feyenoords mob and then get out and steam into them.

PS What a stadium.

Did Ajax many moons back and wasn't so lively, left after ten minutes to get back to the red light district :D 

The 'other' Berlin clubs look mad the more I read about them, had always thought it was pretty much just Hertha. 

cheers! 

12 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I'm going to be coming back from Germany this year sometime back to Bristol and want to experience some of the 92 stadiums that are on the football ground map website that I have seen posted here before . 

Obviously it's quite easy to tick the championship ones off the list when I'm back just by following City. 

The question is what in your opinion has been the best stadium/random match you've been to?  

Ironically, one of the best I’ve been to is Wolfsburg ..... brilliant atmosphere, safe standing, watch the game with a pint in your hand, very cheap admission, no queues despite a big crowd....‘twas a brill weekend!

9 hours ago, Selred said:

For me Craven Cottage is up there.

From the walk through the park along the Thames, the old barriers, to the old cottage inside plus we have done very well there of late. 

Old school. 

10 hours ago, richwwtk said:

My personal favourites, apart from Ashton Gate of course, were Ipswich, Portsmouth and the old Chesterfield Ground.

Love the old grounds in these islands, the Baseball Ground, Roker Park and the old White Hart Lane, with standing on four sides (before the seats and executive boxes went in, early 80s). 

Used to love the Enclosure at AG when a big crowd turnt up, but otherwise, never my favourite ground! The Grandstand was too short, the wall below the Dolman (terrible; looked crap on telly), and the East End too shallow, with too many pillars, and broken up into sections; why? The Kop held 20k and no vertical barriers. The Open End was a great place to watch from, though, on a dry day. Was in there with the Scouse when the lights went out, '94.

14 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I went to San Lorenzo v Boca on my visit to Buenos Aires: not a particularly charismatic stadium but a tremendous atmosphere in what was the major local derby of the season since I recall River Plate had been relegated. I do hope to get back for a Boca home game at some point.

Staying on that continent, I did get to a few games in the Brazil world cup, and the Mineirão in Belo Horizonte was excellent.

10497448_10152561557844808_5254393866151058110_o.thumb.jpg.69dfe617c3459e4e6485b76dc2b04a98.jpg

Probably just where we were swept up in World Cup Fever ahead of the inevitable group stage knockout. But we managed to get to the 3 England games whilst in Brazil and another at the Maracana and each of the stadiums were impressive in their own way. 

The Amazonia Arena in Manaus was a little weird and has no team in the city to play in it which has left it in a bit of a state sadly. I've seen friends we met whilst there using the stadium for some really random things almost just so that it gets some use. 

Arena2.PNG.45c9179e34541f7a36cbd6c8985e5f39.PNGArena.PNG.8604d21c879f3d760685b414c1cfeefc.PNG

Equally loved the Mineirao and there was something about the Arena Corinthians with it's temporary seating that made it pretty cool, the scenes when Rooney equalised probably helped also... Didn't snap any pics of the Maracana ?. We stayed on a campsite for a while whilst in Rio and access to charging facilities were slim to say the least! 

Min1.PNG.ecbcd77ae2a887c74ad9a0ddfc35a793.PNGMin2.PNG.88ea7e63f6e0eda10545c0842f84cd2d.PNGCron2.PNG.1914c1a532d7983d0422f6cb140cd04b.PNGConrin.PNG.1749ac20027f58fdaf523e9e3eab8219.PNG

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ironically, one of the best I’ve been to is Wolfsburg ..... brilliant atmosphere, safe standing, watch the game with a pint in your hand, very cheap admission, no queues despite a big crowd....‘twas a brill weekend!

Imagine spending a weekend in Wolfsburg mind, I've been there once and past through it loads of time, is just a weird concrete homage to Volkswagen, might check out the football though, the fans seem to be pretty decent and follow the clun everywhere though

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I managed to finish the 92 the other weekend with the Brighton v West Brom cup game. I'm not telling you my favourite because you won't believe me :)

It was the mem wasn't it

Archived