IGNORED

So we were in for Scott Hogan

Major Isewater

Following Lee Bowyer’s interview concerning the potential loan of Eisa to Charlton he said that we were in for Scott Hogan.

It shows that , contrary to certain commentators, that we were , in fact , ‘ going for it ‘ this window .

It seems equally that we enquired about Assombalonga but were knocked back by Boro even though the player would have come here.( source Michelle Owen ) 

Just two top strikers that we considered ,there were , apparently, five or six others on the list .

On the one hand I’m delighted that we were seriously looking yet on the other it is slightly worrying that we couldn’t bring in at least one off that list . Questions must be asked. 

I know it is not always the club’s fault I’m not knocking them just that I would have anticipated at least one deal reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Following Lee Bowyer’s interview concerning the potential loan of Eisa to Charlton he said that we were in for Scott Hogan.

It shows that , contrary to certain commentators, that we were , in fact , ‘ going for it ‘ this window .

It seems equally that we enquired about Assombalonga but were knocked back by Boro even though the player would have come here.( source Michelle Owen ) 

Just two top strikers that we considered ,there were , apparently, five or six others on the list .

On the one hand I’m delighted that we were seriously looking yet on the other it is slightly worrying that we couldn’t bring in at least one off that list . Questions must be asked. 

I know it is not always the club’s fault I’m not knocking them just that I would have anticipated at least one deal reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

Think the question is, why did we not bring someone in the summer, with Reid & Duric going. Did we have a list, did we try or were there reasons why things didn’t happen? I know we brought Weimann in as a Reid type placement., maybe a question for a future club forum?

Cant agree that we were “going for it”, if not signing scott hogan was the extent of our ambitions. 

Palmer has already made a difference for us, but everyone can see that if anything happens to diedhou we are screwed. Wiemann is probably ok for maybe 7 goals a season, taylor 2 or 3, and watkins probably 2 or 3 too. If we see a goal from eisa this season we will be lucky, diedhou will probably get more than all of them combined.

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So, Assombalonga wanted to come here, but Middlesbrough were: no chance. 

Great!

We are progressing!

We are a threat to clubs with parachute payments - progress!

If we were midtable, a bit lower, Middlesbrough would be happy for him to come here - he can help them take points off our rivals, and not play against us - but Assombalonga wouldn't be interested. 

Vicious circle.

Think I prefer it this way round: Middlesbrough respecting us, not patronising us.

That, for us, is progress.

5 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

Currently Weimann has 6, Taylor 3 and Watkins 2,  so they have more or less hit your suggested target already, With 17 games to go. I am hoping that now Weimann has scored an 'official' goal and broken his long run without one he will get  a few more as the season progresses.

Not sure about that.

44 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Wiemann is probably ok for maybe 7 goals a season, taylor 2 or 3, and watkins probably 2 or 3 too. I

33 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

Currently Weimann has 6, Taylor 3 and Watkins 2,  so they have more or less hit your suggested target already, With 17 games to go. I am hoping that now Weimann has scored an 'official' goal and broken his long run without one he will get  a few more as the season progresses.

????????? I did say more or less with the point that we still have games to go. 

I do agree that Weimann and Taylor will have to step up and contribute more goals wether Fammy misses any games or not, its good that COD has started to chip in with a few.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Cant agree that we were “going for it”, if not signing scott hogan was the extent of our ambitions. 

Palmer has already made a difference for us, but everyone can see that if anything happens to diedhou we are screwed. Wiemann is probably ok for maybe 7 goals a season, taylor 2 or 3, and watkins probably 2 or 3 too. If we see a goal from eisa this season we will be lucky, diedhou will probably get more than all of them combined.

Add in assists too though and the picture looks somewhat improved...

Weimann has 4, Taylor 3.

11 goals and 7 assists not too bad all of a sudden. Watkins likely to be the least productive of the 3 both when we signed him and as it's panning out. On track for the goals target though, despite injuries to some.

Assombalonga would have been great though, but even if strikers aren't the most prolific, an ability to create goals for others is then very important- and both Weimann and Taylor have this.

It is frustrating we didn't get anyone but, on the other hand, strikers are probably the hardest players to sign and tend to be big money too. I'm glad we didn't panic and get the wrong player in but, especially if we'd have successfully got Assombalonga, I really think that would have made a real difference to our chances.

In a parallel universe he'd have lined up nicely along side Dwight Gayle with Jesse Lingard creating the chances, Harry Maguire being a rock at the back and Zack Steffen making the saves. But, in this universe, we're just going to have to trust in the players we have to do the job. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Add in assists too though and the picture looks somewhat improved...

Weimann has 4, Taylor 3.

11 goals and 7 assists not too bad all of a sudden. Watkins likely to be the least productive of the 3 both when we signed him and as it's panning out. On track for the goals target though, despite injuries to some.

Yeah if you look at goals and assists I think our two players with most 'end product' are Weimann and Famara. Then maybe O'Dowda?

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It is frustrating we didn't get anyone but, on the other hand, strikers are probably the hardest players to sign and tend to be big money too. I'm glad we didn't panic and get the wrong player in but, especially if we'd have successfully got Assombalonga, I really think that would have made a real difference to our chances.

In a parallel universe he'd have lined up nicely along side Dwight Gayle with Jesse Lingard creating the chances, Harry Maguire being a rock at the back and Zack Steffen making the saves. But, in this universe, we're just going to have to trust in the players we have to do the job. 

Don’t know whether.you caught it , but McGregor said LJ was offered at least one striker on deadline day , but turned it down as he didn’t think would improve us

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t know whether.you caught it , but McGregor said LJ was offered at least one striker on deadline day , but turned it down as he didn’t think would improve us

Who is Tom Nicholl's agent? 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Stephan Payne , heard it here first .

Just now, 29AR said:

Who is Tom Nicholl's agent? 

Or 

Who is Tom Nicholls ? 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I did not catch that. I now want to believe we missed out on either a potential return for Diony or the second coming of Bas Savage...

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Diedhiou - 8 goals in 26 (0.3 goals a game) 

Weimann - 6 goals in 30 games (0.2 goals per game) 

Mo Eisa - 0 goals in 6 games 

Semenyo - 6 goals in 32 games (0.19 goals per game). League 2

Taylor - 3 goals in 23 (0.13 goals per game) 

Looking at those stats it's clear to see that our strikers are not prolific enough,especially when you look at the other teams in our league. 

The top goalscorers in the Championship:

Billy Sharp - 20 goals in 30 games (0.66 goals per game) 

Tammy Abraham - 19 goals in 26 games (0.73 goals per game) 

Teemu Pukki - 19 goals in 30 games (0.63 goals per game) 

Neal Maupay - 19 goals in 31 games (0.61 goals per game) 

The are 23 players above Fammy in the top goalscorers list and Sheffield United, Brentford, Birmingham, West Brom, Hull, Blackburn, and Preston all have two players on more goals than Fammy. 

Looking at our targets

Britt Assombalonga - 11 goals in 28 games (0.39 goals per game) 

Scott Hogan - 0 goals in 7 games (only 140 minutes played) 

I think Hogan would have been a huge risk, he's barely played this season and last season despite playing 42 games he only scored 9 times, I'm not sure he would have been the difference maker but I probably would have been more comfortable with him up front than Taylor or Weimann. 

Assombalonga is only one place above Fammy and Fammy has played 2 games less but I think the big difference is that we've built our team around Fammy, Assombalonga is playing for Pulis who's tactics really don't suit him at all and yet he's still finding goals. I think had Middlesbrough got their target and we signed Britt he would have gone on to push Fammy out of that starting line up. Britt has a better touch, he doesn't go down to the floor as much, he's quicker off of the mark and he would have suited our style of play well. 

Whatever happened this transfer window the club has obviously had their eyes on some decent targets but what really matters is sealing the deal. It may sound unforgiving but we're currently on 37 goals and every team above us, apart from Middlesbrough, has scored at least 50 goals.Middlesbrough for the record have conceded 7 less than us. 

There is no doubt that our team is built around the strength of our defence this season and that is great but this argument of "but our team contribute goals from all over the pitch" doesn't sit well with me. We only play with one striker so of course the rest of the team pitch in, we have one striker in ten outfield players, if our midfielders couldn't score we would be fighting relegation and this is why I have concerns. 

Defence - currently a solid unit and we have depth, the least of my concerns with the exception of a long term injury to Kalas. Currently the defence has contributed 3 goals this season which isn't too bad considering how few they have conceded but they're hardly winning us games with their contribution to scoring. 

Midfield - 7 of our midfielders have scored a total of 18 goals, that's not a bad statistic and it's certainly a factor as to why we're winning games. Despite being such a great statistic it does also show that our entire midfield, despite us playing with 5 of them each game, have scored less goals combined than the top two goalscorers have got by themselves this season. 

The point I'm making is that right now we're fine, the midfield are contributing, the defence are preventing goals and Fammy is scoring just enough to keep our form high but should any one of these factors change for a reason such as Fammy gets injured, Kalas gets injured, the midfield suddenly struggle to score we'll be heavily relying on Taylor, Weimann or Semenyo to almost double their rate of scoring at the very least to maintain that form. 

I'm glad so many of our fans are positive right now but I think when you sit down and genuinely look at our situation we are relying very heavily on no injuries hitting key players in a club that's always got a few out to injury, it's a big ask. 

I know many fans will shirk this post off and that's fine but one prolific/semi prolific striker is arguably all we have fallen short of from having some nice insurance on our current position. Without that striker we're definitely riding on a wave of hope that the right players stay fit, just look at how having two quality keepers has helped us when Maenpaa has taken an injury. Quality in depth is where you find promotion winning teams. 

We are now established at this level and able to compete with most clubs in the division in terms of fees/wages.

We also tried to sign Dominic Solanke and Eddie Nketiah this window and in the summer we were a whisker away from signing Hudson-Odoi who was linked with a £35m move to Bayern this window. All the evidence suggest we're heading in the right direction. Problem is, we need to keep progressing because the last thing we want is to become like one of the many clubs in this division that are just treading water, only to eventually fall out of the trapdoor. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I still think goal scoring is a concern. We are in the top 6 because of our excellent defensive record.

I think we’re counting on the midfield to contribute a bit more and that as the team gels the forwards will be given more chances from that area . 

Weiman’s pass for O’Dowda’s goal was an example of players being in the same wavelength.

I don’t think we’ve yet seen the best of our team.

23 minutes ago, Super said:

I still think goal scoring is a concern. We are in the top 6 because of our excellent defensive record.

How many times have we hit woodwork this season though?

16 in the League at least I make it. Law of averages etc, dictates that soon a significantly greater % of those that could go either way should start going in. Assombalonga would have bolstered us significantly- the possibilities in our style of play, with options like O'Dowda, Palmer, Weimann, Paterson, Eliasson and at times Taylor could have made him highly prolific indeed. That's before we even consider our ballplaying CBs, plus Hunt's 4 assists this season.

3 hours ago, Toffee dog said:

Think the question is, why did we not bring someone in the summer, with Reid & Duric going. Did we have a list, did we try or were there reasons why things didn’t happen? I know we brought Weimann in as a Reid type placement., maybe a question for a future club forum?

this all day long. Really hard to do deals in jan as everyone knows and as managers are constantly telling us. But why the hell we didnt bring in a back up / competition for fams in the summer i do not know. Especially as he missed the first 6 games!!! Having said all of that we are doing alright so we cant complain too much.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I think we’re counting on the midfield to contribute a bit more and that as the team gels the forwards will be given more chances from that area . 

Weiman’s pass for O’Dowda’s goal was an example of players being in the same wavelength.

I don’t think we’ve yet seen the best of our team.

Don't know about you Major, but I think Palmer could be the one to make a big difference.

Not only is he much more likely to get on the coring sheet, but the way he runs at, and past, defenders will open up a lot more chances for other players. 

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

So, Assombalonga wanted to come here, but Middlesbrough were: no chance. 

Great!

We are progressing!

We are a threat to clubs with parachute payments - progress!

If we were midtable, a bit lower, Middlesbrough would be happy for him to come here - he can help them take points off our rivals, and not play against us - but Assombalonga wouldn't be interested. 

Vicious circle.

Think I prefer it this way round: Middlesbrough respecting us, not patronising us.

That, for us, is progress.

I do wonder whether Boro put out Assombolonga to see if there was Prem interest.  There wasn’t by the looks of it.

@Spike I don’t care where the goals come from.  Both Boro and us have proved that you don’t have to score loads to get into the top 6 if you have a good defence.  We are 14th highest scorers but 2nd best defence.  Boro have only 6 teams with less goals than them!  Of course we don’t know ultimately whether lack of goals will kill us or not.  In the last 10 games are goal scored has improve slightly from overall average (1.4 from 1.28), but defensively significantly (0.6 from 1.00).  We are improving by 0.5 goals per game and stretched from a 0.28 differential to 0.8.  No team in the division has that big a differential over the whole season.

What we must do is continue the way we are.

I do think a lot of people can’t see past “we only play one striker”, but that’s the way we play, and you could argue it’s a 3 if you throw in a Weimann and O’Dowda (who’s now scored 4/10 in all comps).  We create chances, and we don’t give many chances away.

I’ve never been so content.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Don't know about you Major, but I think Palmer could be the one to make a big difference.

Not only is he much more likely to get on the coring sheet, but the way he runs at, and past, defenders will open up a lot more chances for other players. 

And forced Pato to really up his game of late.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve never been so content.

Must be a strange one for you Dave, as I recall your post after PNE home (less than 3 months ago) saying you'd come to the conclusion LJ was not the man to take us forward and should go! Not saying you were the only one by any stretch but what a turnaround. Must admit I wanted him gone badly the first time around (8 defeats on the trot) but didn't call for his head this time as thought he'd turn it around quicker than last time. Lessons learnt? 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Must be a strange one for you Dave, as I recall your post after PNE home (less than 3 months ago) saying you'd come to the conclusion LJ was not the man to take us forward and should go! Not saying you were the only one by any stretch but what a turnaround. Must admit I wanted him gone badly the first time around (8 defeats on the trot) but didn't call for his head this time as thought he'd turn it around quicker than last time. Lessons learnt? 

I know. Shhhhhh! ?

Not sure I said for him to go (might’ve done though - I certainly did the Preston 0-5! ?), but that I thought he’d never progress us.  All of this (always) caveatted by:

• If he stops coming up with hairbrain ideas
  • If he starts selecting players in a consistent manner (not on whims)
  • If he manages to react in-game (i.e. not premeditated subs for example) better
  • If he works out why we get strung out in games, especially away from home
  • etc

I was happy with summer recruitment, where it appears he got a bigger say.

I’ve always wanted him to do well, for various reasons:

• affinity to City
  • heart in the club
  • commitment to his job, he works bloody hard
  • the cost to replace a manager, staff and players, with no guarantees
  • etc

For me he has found a way of playing that I like.  I’m not overly fussed whether it’s end to end or not, exciting, etc.  I care about the way we play to a system / style / identity.  As I was a CB when I played, I can take as much pleasure out of a hard fought defensive clean sheet to gain a 0-0 as I can from a 4-1 second half demolition of Blackburn.  I want my players (at this level) to be able to follow a game plan, which they now appear to do.  

I want my head-coach to take some responsibility when that game plan (the one he’s put in place) doesn’t work.  You now hear that in his interviews...at the weekend he’s realised that when a player does something he’s asked him to do and it doesn’t come off it’s not the players fault, it’s his. I think he  has matured.  He’s realised you can’t call out the players everytime it goes wrong and it can’t be the young players you always blame either. 

i want my head-coach to not overact, and overhaul the system when it isn’t working, especially in tight games where it is easy to lose total cohesion with a double sub for example.  I want him to make subtle changes, test it, learn from it.  Before you say, treble sub v Bolton...that was necessary but it wasn’t a massive change in system, just personnel.

If I look at his development since coming here, it’s been peaks and troughs along a plateau.  I now think he’s gone up a notch.  He’ll have good moments and bad moments, but I see a gradual upward trend from this position, not another horizontal line.

I think I posted somewhere else (probably on one of the Johnson Haters / Happy Clappers threads) that we might have formed opinions that are quite ingrained but only a “fool” refuses to change their view based on evidence of change....whichever side if the fence you sat on initially.  Johnson isn’t the Messiah, but he clearly isn’t a naughty boy either.

With all my ramblings on here, I would like to think that any praise or criticism is due, and that if I bumped into them in the street and had a chat with them I could look them in the eye, and not feel that I’m being two-faced, saying one thing to them and writing completely the opposite on OTIB.

5 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

Praying for a Weimann goal Saturday, get him going on a run again. 

Archived