IGNORED

So we were in for Scott Hogan

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I know. Shhhhhh! ?

Not sure I said for him to go (might’ve done though - I certainly did the Preston 0-5! ?), but that I thought he’d never progress us.  All of this (always) caveatted by:

• If he stops coming up with hairbrain ideas
  • If he starts selecting players in a consistent manner (not on whims)
  • If he manages to react in-game (i.e. not premeditated subs for example) better
  • If he works out why we get strung out in games, especially away from home
  • etc

I was happy with summer recruitment, where it appears he got a bigger say.

I’ve always wanted him to do well, for various reasons:

• affinity to City
  • heart in the club
  • commitment to his job, he works bloody hard
  • the cost to replace a manager, staff and players, with no guarantees
  • etc

For me he has found a way of playing that I like.  I’m not overly fussed whether it’s end to end or not, exciting, etc.  I care about the way we play to a system / style / identity.  As I was a CB when I played, I can take as much pleasure out of a hard fought defensive clean sheet to gain a 0-0 as I can from a 4-1 second half demolition of Blackburn.  I want my players (at this level) to be able to follow a game plan, which they now appear to do.  

I want my head-coach to take some responsibility when that game plan (the one he’s put in place) doesn’t work.  You now hear that in his interviews...at the weekend he’s realised that when a player does something he’s asked him to do and it doesn’t come off it’s not the players fault, it’s his. I think he  has matured.  He’s realised you can’t call out the players everytime it goes wrong and it can’t be the young players you always blame either. 

i want my head-coach to not overact, and overhaul the system when it isn’t working, especially in tight games where it is easy to lose total cohesion with a double sub for example.  I want him to make subtle changes, test it, learn from it.  Before you say, treble sub v Bolton...that was necessary but it wasn’t a massive change in system, just personnel.

If I look at his development since coming here, it’s been peaks and troughs along a plateau.  I now think he’s gone up a notch.  He’ll have good moments and bad moments, but I see a gradual upward trend from this position, not another horizontal line.

I think I posted somewhere else (probably on one of the Johnson Haters / Happy Clappers threads) that we might have formed opinions that are quite ingrained but only a “fool” refuses to change their view based on evidence of change....whichever side if the fence you sat on initially.  Johnson isn’t the Messiah, but he clearly isn’t a naughty boy either.

With all my ramblings on here, I would like to think that any praise or criticism is due, and that if I bumped into them in the street and had a chat with them I could look them in the eye, and not feel that I’m being two-faced, saying one thing to them and writing completely the opposite on OTIB.

Great post

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Don't know about you Major, but I think Palmer could be the one to make a big difference.

Not only is he much more likely to get on the coring sheet, but the way he runs at, and past, defenders will open up a lot more chances for other players. 

I agree, however, it’s not all about Palmer, all the midfield have upped their game.

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree, however, it’s not all about Palmer, all the midfield have upped their game.

I agree - but this could also in theory be attributed to Palmer, whether from showing them a slightly different way to approach attacking play, or by adding to the competition for places. Whatever the reason, long may it continue!

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I do wonder whether Boro put out Assombolonga to see if there was Prem interest.  There wasn’t by the looks of it.

@Spike I don’t care where the goals come from.  Both Boro and us have proved that you don’t have to score loads to get into the top 6 if you have a good defence.  We are 14th highest scorers but 2nd best defence.  Boro have only 6 teams with less goals than them!  Of course we don’t know ultimately whether lack of goals will kill us or not.  In the last 10 games are goal scored has improve slightly from overall average (1.4 from 1.28), but defensively significantly (0.6 from 1.00).  We are improving by 0.5 goals per game and stretched from a 0.28 differential to 0.8.  No team in the division has that big a differential over the whole season.

What we must do is continue the way we are.

I do think a lot of people can’t see past “we only play one striker”, but that’s the way we play, and you could argue it’s a 3 if you throw in a Weimann and O’Dowda (who’s now scored 4/10 in all comps).  We create chances, and we don’t give many chances away.

I’ve never been so content.

And forced Pato to really up his game of late.

I'm also content because the fact is we can't change it now and for now it's working, however my point that we're walking on shaky ground still stands. Middlesbrough conceded the last goals last season out of the teams that ended in the top 6, the issue with that was that when the playoffs came Middlesbrough couldn't score goals and after two games it only took Villa a single goal to get through instead of them. 

The only team that conceded less than 70 goals last season were Cardiff, but they had no problems scoring goals and finished with 14 more goals than Middlesbrough and of course that's a key factor as to why they get automatic promotion. 

I do understand why you and others think it's great right now, that's because everything is going our way right now but that won't last. At some point we're going to need a few extra goals and we're going to have to hope our defence can keep up this level of performance. 

Ultimately we could very well make the play offs, but then we need to beat two of the other three teams who right now all have a much better goal difference. The other kick in the teeth would be getting Middlesbrough and having to go up against Assombalonga because whilst our defense is great he certainly has the speed, size and ability to cause some serious issues, not to mention we'd be up against Flint who knows our manager, our players and after LJ's comments about we'd only sell Flint if we could have Webster he'd certainly be up for proving why we should have kept him. 

I guess come the end of the season we'll see if our weak attacking line (compared to the top half of the championship) is enough to do the job. 

On 06/02/2019 at 09:16, Moments of Pleasure said:

So, Assombalonga wanted to come here, but Middlesbrough were: no chance. 

Great!

We are progressing!

We are a threat to clubs with parachute payments - progress!

If we were midtable, a bit lower, Middlesbrough would be happy for him to come here - he can help them take points off our rivals, and not play against us - but Assombalonga wouldn't be interested. 

Vicious circle.

Think I prefer it this way round: Middlesbrough respecting us, not patronising us.

That, for us, is progress.

Not necessarily - Boro may simply have wanted to keep him to assist their promotion ambitions.

10 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Not necessarily - Boro may simply have wanted to keep him to assist their promotion ambitions.

There certainly seemed to be noises coming out of Boro that they were prepared to let him leave. He’s costing them a lot of money and isn’t playing regularly - so I suspect he would have gone if the finances fitted. However, nobody was prepared to pay the sort of money involved (fees or wages).

On 06/02/2019 at 08:35, Major Isewater said:

Following Lee Bowyer’s interview concerning the potential loan of Eisa to Charlton he said that we were in for Scott Hogan.

It shows that , contrary to certain commentators, that we were , in fact , ‘ going for it ‘ this window ....

Lee Bowyer said “I think they (Bristol City) were trying to go for Scott Hogan..” - he could have got that from the wild speculation and rumour whizzing round on social media at the time or from other unsubstantiated sources - eg a couple of ‘papers...

I wouldn’t take his throwaway comment as confirmation that we were in fact ‘going for it’ prior to the transfer window shutting...

On 06/02/2019 at 09:03, simon uk said:

Cant agree that we were “going for it”, if not signing scott hogan was the extent of our ambitions. 

If not signing Hogan was the extent of our ambitions then wouldn't it have been easier not to try and get him on loan?

That way it eliminates the possibility of him coming here on loan.

If we tried to sign him then our ambitions are quite obviously higher than "not signing Scott Hogan" because we tried to sign the bugger.

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

So the reasons for us not getting them wasn't completely down to finances? So the people rambling on about how we could never afford them in any way were wrong? Shock  

Has anyone come out and said this? We are supposed to have this great relationship with villa now. Being away from the north didnt stop him signing for brentford.

3 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Think we will do ok with the scoring. Weimann will find the net again, Famara will score vs Blackburn. Palmer, Brownhill and think also Pack will score one more.

So long as that one Pack goal comes in the playoff final, I'm happy

Archived