IGNORED

Bakinson

Kingswoodactor

Seems to be ticking over very nicely at Newport.

Some Newport fans saying he ran the game from midfield for them last night against Boro, which is nice to hear!

I remember Luton fans being rather unhappy at us signing him at the time too. 

20 years old, 6 foot 1, and progressing well. Could be a natural replacement for Pack/Smith in a few years time...

Bakinson & Brownhill in the middle? Could well be! 

Will certainly be good for our coaching team to get a closer look at the lad in the Summer, but it may make sense for him to head to League 1 for a season long loan in 19/20. 

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Some Newport fans saying he ran the game from midfield for them last night against Boro, which is nice to hear!

20 years old, 6 foot 1, and progressing well. Could be a natural replacement for Pack/Smith in a few years time...

Will certainly be good for our coaching team to get a closer look at the lad in the Summer, but it may make sense for him to head to League 1 for a season long loan in 19/20. 

At the forum a few months ago Dean Holden highlighted him as the one pushing through

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Been rather inconsistent at Newport apparently, he has plenty of potential though and he’s still only young. Could definitely see a league one loan next season

6 league assists so far, and a third of the season to go!

If Bakinson can get that up to 10+ by May, than that would not be a bad return at all for a 20 year old CM, playing his first full season of league football ?

12 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

6 league assists so far, and a third of the season to go!

If Bakinson can get that up to 10+ by May, than that would not be a bad return at all for a 20 year old CM, playing his first full season of league football ?

He certainly has talent and will be a big player for us in the future. 

With him it’s about concentration, if he can stay fully focused and consistent for 90 minutes he’s a top player. But he has lapses of it now and again. Fortunately that’s something that can be easily rectified and so I see no reason why he can’t go all the way

• Admin
9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Bakinson is quite languid in style. Perhaps we would have to adapt to accommodate. 

Can't see that being the case under LJ, he would want the player to fit into the teams style not the other way around

Would guess he is at least a season away from touching the first team squad on a regular basis

23 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Seen him a few times and he doesn’t appear dynamic enough for a midfield press. Maybe he develops but I always find players have their style and it never deviates much from that . I.e you could never turn Diedhiou into a Reid type

Bakinson is quite languid in style. Perhaps we would have to adapt to accommodate. 

Surely this could be coached into him by Johnson etc. 

Look how much Brownhill's game has improved since he's been part of our 1st team squad in 2 and a half years. 

I think with the right coaching, and hard work, Bakinson could be a 1st team option for us in a few years time.

55 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

On the twitter Q and A Johnson mentioned he had had a dip in form and it would be interesting to see how he responded to that. It seems from last night that he's hopefully responded well.

12 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Surely this could be coached into him by Johnson etc. 

Look how much Brownhill's game has improved since he's been part of our 1st team squad in 2 and a half years. 

I think with the right coaching, and hard work, Bakinson could be a 1st team option for us in a few years time.

My point is can that sort of thing be coached into a player? Could Pogba be coached to press and change into a more Brownhill type player? 

I think not but guess we will see 

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Been rather inconsistent at Newport apparently, he has plenty of potential though and he’s still only young. Could definitely see a league one loan next season

19 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

On the twitter Q and A Johnson mentioned he had had a dip in form and it would be interesting to see how he responded to that. It seems from last night that he's hopefully responded well.

Think what we need to realise is that playing in CM in L2 can be spent watching balls going over your head, so not always easy to impose yourself on every game.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think what we need to realise is that playing in CM in L2 can be spent watching balls going over your head, so not always easy to impose yourself on every game.

Spot on 

The purpose of his loan may be not so much to develop him as a player but more to toughen him up for first team football

In fact I’d say likely not may,

with due respect we aren’t sending them to Newport to develop them in a simple playing development sense, , much more about hardening to first team football

I didn't see him as MoM to be honest, but he showed plenty of mobility and a willingness to have the ball all over a heavy pitch against (albeit underperforming) players at a substantially higher level than him.

Whether he kicks on is open to question of course but I thought it looked encouraging based purely on the Boro game.

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

My point is can that sort of thing be coached into a player? Could Pogba be coached to press and change into a more Brownhill type player? 

I think not but guess we will see 

I think a players movement and pressing are easier to coach into a player than say technique, passing, shooting etc. 

The lad is still 20! 

I think Bakinson seems more like he could become a solid box to box central midfielder, and who knows what Johnson may see in him given a good long spell of coaching and training. He may want to make him into a defensive holding type midfielder. 

Not every midfielder has to press well in order to become successful at what they do. He clearly has an eye for a pass, that much is clear. 

Should point out that players are built differently too, physically, diedhou is much bigger than reid,   And pack is bigger than brownhill, their body doesnt allow them to cover ground in the same way as a smaller player, but they can still get around and affect the game in a different way

Bakinson looked ok vs Middlesbrough last night, didn't set the world alight but certainly didn't look out of place, in what was for a midfielder, very tough conditions. Tried to thread some very ambitious passes through the 'Boro defence, but didn't quite work out on the night.

League 1 loan next season I would imagine.

ps Flint didn't do much

It wouldn’t be a surprise if some of these lads , if good enough are actually suited more to Championship football than League Two Football

That pitch Semenyo was and Bakinson is playing on , certainly isn’t an aid to a ‘footballer’ 

Great for character but playing on poorer surfaces, with team mates of lesser ability......great for character if not for style

If they can cope with better opponents , playing on surfaces like AG with quality teammates , would be a totally different type of game 

Just because somebody does or doesn’t stand out on loan isn’t the full picture 

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Could be eased in as possible replacement for the injury prone Smith next season-'would rather he was given the chance asap than 'end up smashing it in eventually elsewhere....

Has all the 'tools & if your good enough your old enough...

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Could be eased in as possible replacement for the injury prone Smith next season-'would rather he was given the chance asap than 'end up smashing it in eventually elsewhere....

Has all the 'tools & if your good enough your old enough...

Gotta get past Morrell and Walsh first.  Neither have done themselves any harm in limited appearances this season.

1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I work with a Newport fan (who is extremely happy today!), who likens Bakinson to Pogba in terms of his style of play.

First 90 mins I've seen of him last night and that's exactly what i thought.

Gets up and down the pitch but don't recall seeing him busting a gut to do it. Just has good positional sense and follows play well.

A few times he got frustrated not to receive a simple pass when a team mate hoofed it long. Saw that as a positive.

So 1 full game and a few highlights here and there, certainly like what I have seen so far.

Think I’ve seen him three/four times on TV this season and assume these matches have corresponded with the spell that LJ mentioned as being a dip in form. 

Not massively impressed tbh. 

Players should be ‘stand out’ for me in a number of aspects of their play in Division 4/Conference or below if they are going to make it in the Championship anytime soon. Not sure Bakinson was ‘stand out’ in any game I’ve watched. Thought Semenyeo had something about him though. 

Of the others, was it Smith at Tranmere that was another ‘one to watch’. Is he not sub more than often now? Returning from injury perhaps?

Slightly worried if 25 is now the new make or break age threshold. That’s mid career and will cost us a fortune in wages if we’re keeping Academy players on contracts to that age! Don’t think there will be enough teams in the league to loan them out to! 

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Seen him a few times and he doesn’t appear dynamic enough for a midfield press. Maybe he develops but I always find players have their style and it never deviates much from that . I.e you could never turn Diedhiou into a Reid type

Once he builds more muscle on his frame he is going to be a very good player. Technically has it all and gets about the pitch. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the club work on him over the close season and get a league 1 loan for 6 months and see him continue to develop. No reason why he won’t be knocking on the door of the first team in the next 18 months. I would say the same for Andrews, Pearson and Janneh who are all being brought through with an eye on getting in the first team squad in the next 2 years. The exception being Semenyo who if he stays with City will be almost definitely a first team squad player next season

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That happened last season when Bakinson played for Under 23 against the Gas. Aerial football is not his scene so maybe something for coaches to work on with him.

Very promising though and would hope for some first team games next season.

Interesting young midfielders at different stages.

Brownhill, Walsh, Morrell, Bakinson, Tom Richards, Lemonheigh-Evans, Andrews.

Apologies if any missed.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Think I’ve seen him three/four times on TV this season and assume these matches have corresponded with the spell that LJ mentioned as being a dip in form. 

Not massively impressed tbh. 

Players should be ‘stand out’ for me in a number of aspects of their play in Division 4/Conference or below if they are going to make it in the Championship anytime soon. Not sure Bakinson was ‘stand out’ in any game I’ve watched. Thought Semenyeo had something about him though. 

Of the others, was it Smith at Tranmere that was another ‘one to watch’. Is he not sub more than often now? Returning from injury perhaps?

Slightly worried if 25 is now the new make or break age threshold. That’s mid career and will cost us a fortune in wages if we’re keeping Academy players on contracts to that age! Don’t think there will be enough teams in the league to loan them out to! 

Listen to OSIB podcast from a couple of weeks ago. A Tranmere fan was interviewed and said they were disappointed he wasn’t playing and put it down to the Manager changing formation, so he only gets on in impact role at the end of games.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It wouldn’t be a surprise if some of these lads , if good enough are actually suited more to Championship football than League Two Football

That pitch Semenyo was and Bakinson is playing on , certainly isn’t an aid to a ‘footballer’ 

Great for character but playing on poorer surfaces, with team mates of lesser ability......great for character if not for style

If they can cope with better opponents , playing on surfaces like AG with quality teammates , would be a totally different type of game 

Just because somebody does or doesn’t stand out on loan isn’t the full picture 

I agree - a lot of it won’t necessarily be about the football style and stats, more how he deals with high pressure games like Leicester and last night, does he play confidently or hide away? Does he respond well to high intensity games or not?

We will know all about his technical ability, the challenge for him is proving to us that he can show that ability when it really matters.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Gotta get past Morrell and Walsh first.  Neither have done themselves any harm in limited appearances this season.

We need to be getting them all involved, they're the future & we must look forwards...I reckon,sadly, Smith's just about 'ad it.........

After all,Lee must still have that 'tombola in 'ees garage  ?..

Archived