IGNORED

Club Crest Ranked Ranked 23/24

Bcfccity

Like the simplicity of Swansea and Forest.  Hope we do something similar.  I really liked the retro robin on a football badge that someone put together, but even more stripped back like the Spurs badge.  

Personally I can't abide Birmingham City's badge.  Worst for me. 

I think ours is better than a few of them, QPR and Reading especially but the best badges like Forest, Derby, Brentford, Swansea etc have something iconic as the focus piece. You see it and you know exactly what it is. I doubt many outside of Bristol know that ours is the Bristol coat of arms.

We should have something involving the suspension bridge IMO

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks there is something very wrong with that new Hull crest? It's playing absolute havoc with my OCD. 

Either the text isn't aligned, or the curves aren't symmetrical, or there are too many different jarring angles. Either way it gives me a headache.

26 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Listening to junior the other night he said a robin is coming , reading between the lines I don’t think it’s the tradional robin which I love , however I believe a different design will be out ,could be wrong , we will see ! 

From the survey they sent out, which seemed quite “loaded” I think we can expect to see something similar to Brentford’s Bee, except a Robin, obviously. 

Possibly something similar to the Rugby’s Bear..?

Either way I’m fully expecting it to be modern, rather than the traditional “old” badge that’s currently on the White kit. 

The best crests are simple and we'll designed; something you could draw on the back of your school exercise book from memory.

You'd have to be Leonardo da Vinci to be able to draw our crest from memory as it is ridiculously complicated.

Could a neutral recognise it as Bristol City's badge when it flashes up on a Championship highlights programme?

The simple answer is: no.

Robin. Suspension Bridge. Football. 

Keep it simple. 

Fear is, whoever is involved in the re-design is going to over-complicate/over-design it in order to justify fees and differentiate from the existing away design. 

Waiting for the  meltdown when it’s released. 

Deary me. 

What a sad place we live in. A talksport article commenting on the type of badges a club should have ‘in this era’.

If it were me I would keep the club crest with strong relationship to city of Bristol (hopefully that still means something even if a 17 year old from Hounslow didn’t click like, or whether it transposes really neatly in a round icon because that’s the template a social media app uses) and by all means if you wish to create some sort of fashion logo or icon to brand in shops, knock yourselves out.

7 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Robin. Suspension Bridge. Football. 

Keep it simple. 

Fear is, whoever is involved in the re-design is going to over-complicate/over-design it in order to justify fees and differentiate from the existing away design. 

Waiting for the  meltdown when it’s released. 

I don’t think so - one thing BS are getting decent at is clothing and merchandise.

I think SL would want to remain with the crest as is but I think this is JL’s decision and SL is going with it.

I expect (hope) a modern re-hash of the original robin badge - modern as in a bit more detailing - maybe the robin in flight with bridge in background. Circle maybe with Bristol City 1894 around it?

17 hours ago, RedSkin said:

Like the simplicity of Swansea and Forest.  Hope we do something similar.  I really liked the retro robin on a football badge that someone put together, but even more stripped back like the Spurs badge.  

Personally I can't abide Birmingham City's badge.  Worst for me. 

Do you know what, I was going to write exactly the same thing, that’s spooky. Swansea and Forest have easily been modernised if that’s the route to go down as their name/logo is so workable, same with Derby. Next on the list is Sheff Weds, could easily do a modern owl. Our Robin isn’t unique and there’s not a lot you can do with ‘Bristol’ as it isn’t a thing as such. 

Like you I picked out Brum’s badge as the worst, I know it’s traditional but for some unknown reason I too can’t stand it

@RedM you can make a Robin unique and the robin with its bridge is unique to Bristol City. eight nine years ago a designer played around with it added phrases like when the moon shines (Wurzels!!) , the end result was lots of different designs. the designs could have gone on for ever angry, not so angry , smiling (or the kids) with bridge, no bridge stop lettering wild style, adding traditions the angry Robin always points the same way. any logo for any club is easy to make unique because they all have their own traditions and histories if you use them - A robin with that bridge with pride of the west can only be Bristol City.

27 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

@RedM you can make a Robin unique and the robin with its bridge is unique to Bristol City. eight nine years ago a designer played around with it added phrases like when the moon shines (Wurzels!!) , the end result was lots of different designs. the designs could have gone on for ever angry, not so angry , smiling (or the kids) with bridge, no bridge stop lettering wild style, adding traditions the angry Robin always points the same way. any logo for any club is easy to make unique because they all have their own traditions and histories if you use them - A robin with that bridge with pride of the west can only be Bristol City.

Don’t get me wrong, I do agree. What I meant is that we aren’t uniquely called the Robins, or haven’t pushed the robin enough so that we are maybe? We aren’t even the only BCFC so shouldn’t do what Bolton have done for example.

I am very much in favour of using the robin and the bridge, which is unique to us and should be part of our badge as we sit beneath it. I would also like to see ‘Bristol City’ on the badge, leaving people in no doubt who we are. The badge on our white shirt is much better than the crest in my opinion, not sure what modernising it would be like though? I guess like any rebrand it will be very Marmite.

4 hours ago, 054123 said:

Without wishing to pick at a scab, why and how have you come to such s strong opinion?

I've said it time and time again, it just looks like a generic badge, could be anyone

The other ones that people have mentioned, Derby, Swansea, Forest - it's clear who it is, the club it represents. Also, the robin, bridge and football was the badge when I started going. And football never gets better than when you first fall in love with a club

I understand the Bristolians who love the Bristol coat of arms being represented and that my view won't be overly popular

I do worry, as others surely will, that we will end up with an absolute horror show of a new badge. Here's hoping they've kept it simple and clean

Archived