IGNORED

Question about the Golden days in the "old first division"!

BCFC OF SWEDEN

46 minutes ago, chriskoi said:

What about Chris Garland did he not play for us in div 1 ?

Yes, we signed him from Leicester in the November of 1976 (mainly as AD was looking to replace Paul Cheesley) and he hit the bar in his 1st game back against Leeds, the one that was called off due to fog at half time.  Chris did OK for us in that season, and more than paid back his £100,000 fee when he scored the 2 goals that beat Liverpool at home 2-1 just a few days before we pulled of the "great escape" at Coventry in 1977. He also scored a significant goal when we beat Manchester City 1-0 at the gate and actually managed a goal against Leeds in the re-arranged match (1-1 draw).  Unfortunately, he did his cruciate early on in the next season and did not appear again that season, and over the course of the next 2 seasons in the top flight, made only fleeting appearances.  By then our 3 main strikers were Mabbutt,  Royle and Ritchie.

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

With some success. Came back towards the end of the first year, scored 3/4 in the last few games to help keep us up. 2 in a home win over the newly christened Champions Liverpool. 

What a great watch, you can’t help but feel great pity for the AG8

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Can't add much...............Collier left Cov (after just TWO games) for Portland Timbers and spent rest of career in US.

Dave Rodgers was a fill in CB until Hunter left, to became first choice..........and we went down, not that I'm blaming DR at all , we just never kicked on, nor spend money (not that we had much ).

Collier was the first name on the teamsheet for the first season and a half we were top flight. Absolute class and upon his arrival he carried and covered for the ageing Hunter who, although a crowd favourite, was nowhere near as effective as people like to recall. Collier I think got crocked in a pointless friendly against (Moscow Dynamo?) and post a longish recovery was kept out of the side by the less talented lump Rodgers ( another crowd favourite famed for his goalscoring, sadly in equal proportion in either net.)

Collier gave up on us ( and I think football post his exercising his newly acquired right to move - may have been the first to do so?) Like Mabbutt he ended up enjoying a decent lifestyle in the US and fair play to him. Massive talent lost to the English game. He was something special.

5 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Peter Cormack was an attacking midfielder

Who danced and pranced on tiptoe, created two or three gilt edged chances each game, but went wholly unappreciated by the Ashton crowd who much preferred runaround spacefillers like Tainton than creative types who, by their very nature, are prone to give the ball away every now and again.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Who danced and pranced on tiptoe, created two or three gilt edged chances each game, but went wholly unappreciated by the Ashton crowd who much preferred runaround spacefillers like Tainton than creative types who, by their very nature, are prone to give the ball away every now and again.

Nothing much has changed then

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That must have been when Whitehead dropped into an attacking full back role then?

I was very disappointed when Whitehead moved from winger to left back. One of my favourite memories is his runs down the wing. I recall him saying he was fed up with being kicked by full-backs and was delighted to be able to give it back. Always seemed a waste to me though.

16 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I was very disappointed when Whitehead moved from winger to left back. One of my favourite memories is his runs down the wing. I recall him saying he was fed up with being kicked by full-backs and was delighted to be able to give it back. Always seemed a waste to me though.

Shame for him that tactical formations hadn't really gone beyond 4-4-2 at that stage, he would have made a great wingback in a 3-5-2.

39 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Collier was the first name on the teamsheet for the first season and a half we were top flight. Absolute class and upon his arrival he carried and covered for the ageing Hunter who, although a crowd favourite, was nowhere near as effective as people like to recall. Collier I think got crocked in a pointless friendly against (Moscow Dynamo?) and post a longish recovery was kept out of the side by the less talented lump Rodgers ( another crowd favourite famed for his goalscoring, sadly in equal proportion in either net.)

Collier gave up on us ( and I think football post his exercising his newly acquired right to move - may have been the first to do so?) Like Mabbutt he ended up enjoying a decent lifestyle in the US and fair play to him. Massive talent lost to the English game. He was something special.

Collier was class indeed, favourably compared to the young Alan Hansen at the time. 

Yes Rodgers 'OG' was appreciated for being a hard case, but that didn't stop the late Justin Fashanu from stoving his face in with a vicious headbutt, remember that? Fash chased him half way up the pitch and dropped the nut in devastating style as I recall it. In hindsight, one wonders what our Dave might have said to the gay, black superstar (in the days before such things were considered cool!). 

34 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

From (dodgy) memory , he had a nasty injury and the move came just after he came back. One of my all time favourite players . 2 feet , skilful and quick, absolute brilliant winger. Did ok for WBA after too.

10 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Collier was class indeed, favourably compared to the young Alan Hansen at the time. 

Yes Rodgers 'OG' was appreciated for being a hard case, but that didn't stop the late Justin Fashanu from stoving his face in with a vicious headbutt, remember that? Fash chased him half way up the pitch and dropped the nut in devastating style as I recall it. In hindsight, one wonders what our Dave might have said to the gay, black superstar (in the days before such things were considered cool!). 

Yeah, took no prisoners Justin and as you say dropped him like a brick. Faux outrage these days would have seen calls for a lifetime ban. Those days fans, I think, held a quiet regard  for revenge jobs properly executed, and that was one.

40 minutes ago, onehowie said:

Norman Hunter....in my opinion the greatest footballer I saw play in a City shirt. A true professional.

Great defender, next to noone got past “Bite yer legs” Norm. One of my idols as a kid watching in Dolman B Block. He became a real favourite with the City fans as he usually chopped um down if they were too clever!

He wouldn’t last 5 minutes on the pitch nowadays.

My memory is not as good as some on here but Keith Fear was always a crowd favourite, much a Stan Bowls way. I can't remember if that was Div 2 before promotion or Div 1 after.  

Blimey I older than I thought, just looked up Keith Fear and it seems he spent most of his time from 1977 on out on loan so I must be thinking Div 2 before promotion.

I googled some names who came upp in this topic.

Ray Cashley, Brian Drysdale and Keith Fear i dont Think they did 10 games together in division one. They were big in League two.

Pertti Jantunen made 8 games for us and Geert Meijer made 15 so i dont think we shall mention them together with heroes as Norman Hunter, Gerry Gow and for example Tom Ritchie.

But ok i forgot Chris Garland....

From memory Tainton played quite a few games at right back (either as cover for Sweeny or prior to Sweeny)...and yes I remember Whitehead being used as a wing back too.

I still blame relegation on the fact that (as well as not being good enough) Dicks was reluctant to move the old guard on (Tainton, Drysdale, Rodgers etc). Yes Hunter was brilliant but that meant Merrick being played out of position.

19 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

From memory Tainton played quite a few games at right back (either as cover for Sweeny or prior to Sweeny)...and yes I remember Whitehead being used as a wing back too.

I still blame relegation on the fact that (as well as not being good enough) Dicks was reluctant to move the old guard on (Tainton, Drysdale, Rodgers etc). Yes Hunter was brilliant but that meant Merrick being played out of position.

Good memory Squire!! He absolutely was. 

For no good reason, I also remember some stat about Clive Whitehead....every full back he played against got booked that season...at a time when bookings were comparatively rare. 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

My dad said that Tainton was used very defensively by Dicks prior to promotion, especially away from home.  

Archived