IGNORED

My take on super lee as a forum newbee

Victory Park Reds

Good evening fellow forum members

After many many yrs of reading this forum I thought I would get stuck in (although I do feel like a virgin on a wedding night) robberred please don’t do a yawn zzzz etc etc u know the drill

Anyhow this young johnson has had me swearing out load/ swearing at kids/ swearing at my kids / fuming/ generally grumpiness - equally when as I’m sure most of us do calm down and read or listen to his after match comments I do find myself warming to him.

This season as ever has been a bit of a roller coaster although as not as severe as previous ones.I’ve been a bit of the Hokey Cokey with him as I’ve wanted him in / out/  even wanted to shake him all about but hopefully finally we appear to be getting on consistent approach to games and formation.

As ever our friends from PNE seem to be the catalyst to end the malaise (5-0) up their a couple of yes ago and the 1_0 reverse at ours in November.

I know last season we were a high press poor mans Man City and we obviously ran out of puff basically against Wolves at home in December,although great to see.Man utd with my kids (tears in my eyes)

I just think that super lee could have communicated with us fans that things were changing this season in that regard and we were going a bit more pragmatic in our approach.

You may ask why we should let people know what our approach to games would be but any scouts/  coaches of other clubs would know our set up/ formations during scouting of our games.However communication a few nuances to us the fans may have drawn the sting from our more dour displays earlier on this season.

Anyhow first post over and I await robbered??

love to all ctid

40 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

After many many yrs of reading this forum I thought I would get stuck in (although I do feel like a virgin on a wedding night) robberred please don’t do a yawn zzzz etc etc u know the drill

Anyhow this young johnson has had me swearing out load/ swearing at kids/ swearing at my kids / fuming/ generally grumpiness - equally when as I’m sure most of us do calm down and read or listen to his after match comments I do find myself warming to him.

This season as ever has been a bit of a roller coaster although as not as severe as previous ones.I’ve been a bit of the Hokey Cokey with him as I’ve wanted him in / out/  even wanted to shake him all about but hopefully finally we appear to be getting on consistent approach to games and formation.

As ever our friends from PNE seem to be the catalyst to end the malaise (5-0) up their a couple of yes ago and the 1_0 reverse at ours in November.

I know last season we were a high press poor mans Man City and we obviously ran out of puff basically against Wolves at home in December,although great to see.Man utd with my kids (tears in my eyes)

I just think that super lee could have communicated with us fans that things were changing this season in that regard and we were going a bit more pragmatic in our approach.

You may ask why we should let people know what our approach to games would be but any scouts/  coaches of other clubs would know our set up/ formations during scouting of our games.However communication a few nuances to us the fans may have drawn the sting from our more dour displays earlier on this season.

love to all ctid

It's way past Robbos bed time

50 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

love to all ctid

Victory Park, Ebley...???

1 hour ago, Victory Park Reds said:

love to all ctid

@Robbored won't hear you. He's tone deaf...

4 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

Anyhow first post over and I await robbored??

You’ve answered your own question VCR...............:facepalm:

Fwiw.....LJ is probablythe best communicator with the media and us fans since John Ward.

The recent run of good performances and of course results have endeared many to him who previously were either indifferent or downright hostile  towards him.

We all know that ultimately football is all about results......and a run of poor result will soon see the knives out again,.....

4 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

love to all ctid

Welcome Victory Park. One less thing on your bucket list..

Welcome 

Just a small comment, this season has not been a roller coaster. Lost 3 top favourite players pre season , a brand new back 5 in August and a consistent team selection policy all season. 

Results and entertainment get better and better month on month and this is possibly the best season at this level to be a home And away fan since the mid 70s. What's not to like? 

Nothing, apart from people on the forum moaning during this great season (so far) 

Again, welcome. 

Hello VPR , any relation to QPR ? .

:sub:

I think you’ll find that Joe Watt Amin has pretty much kept us informed,  above and beyond the understanding of many fans. 

Communication is not an area where he’s falling short . He has explained that last year we ran out of steam and this year has changed the approach.

Now pay attention newbie at the back or you’ll be back after school.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

You’ve answered your own question VCR...............:facepalm:

Fwiw.....LJ is probablythe best communicator with the media and us fans since John Ward.

The recent run of good performances and of course results have endeared many to him who previously were either indifferent or downright hostile  towards him.

We all know that ultimately football is all about results......and a run of poor result will soon see the knives out again,.....

VCR.. ? 

13 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

Welcome.

I was frustrated with the style of football too, but was clinging onto the hope that our defensive displays were going to be the launchpad for improved attacking performances.  This has how it turned out, thankfully.

We only see the outcome of the preparation and tactics in terms of performances the players produce.   With new players adjusting to the system and tactics it's probably the case that what they produced wasn't what LJ wanted - they did not execute the game plan.   He has alluded to that is post match interviews on occasion.    

I don't think that any coach should say too much about the style of play or tactics other than usual sweeping statements.  In general I think LJ is far more open than previous manager in disclosing what he does to improve the players and performances.  It's really refreshing and one of the things I really like about him. 

Welcome aboard. we couldnt expect lj to come out and tell the fans hes going to play a less highly stressed version of a high press, that would give our game away to everyone else. Dont know if im in the minority now on here, but im just waiting for the next 7 game losing sequence to happen. Obviously hope it doesnt, but seems a matter of time to me. The championship is too hard for us not to lose again at some point, but if we can turn it around quickly i might start believing a bit more

• Admin

The press is still utilised each game but the thresholds for the pressing triggers have appeared to be raised so we don't expend so much energy performing so many of them.

We also have changed from being a team that favoured our opponent having the ball so we could press them & counter to a team that likes to enjoy a bit more possession (which allows you to rest).

18 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The press is still utilised each game but the thresholds for the pressing triggers have appeared to be raised so we don't expend so much energy performing so many of them.

We also have changed from being a team that favoured our opponent having the ball so we could press them & counter to a team that likes to enjoy a bit more possession (which allows you to rest).

If you can suspend the emotion of it all following your team, it's really fascinating to see how we are developing as a team and how LJ is changing his approach.

I cannot say I can really spot the intricacies of the tactical changes myself, but if we can keep the same core of players (and LJ) they will really develop a greater understanding of the game and be better players for it.  As a team and club we are maturing and improving.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Agree with the first bit Ian - we have different triggers and will still press at times, in areas and try and hem an opponent in and pinch possession but not so high up the pitch

but disagree with the second bit ,I’m not a stat watcher but I’d have a blind bet we’ve been winning games whilst not dominating possession more this season ,  to me we are happy Idf we don’t hem them in anywhere to drop very narrow and compact (And pretty bloody solid Tbf) and have our rest whilst they try and play through us

The key for me is our execution of the transition when we do regain possession and counter

With CODs form and and KPs addition etc etc this is improving - we are looking solid

41 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

If you can suspend the emotion of it all following your team, it's really fascinating to see how we are developing as a team and how LJ is changing his approach.

I cannot say I can really spot the intricacies of the tactical changes myself, but if we can keep the same core of players (and LJ) they will really develop a greater understanding of the game and be better players for it.  As a team and club we are maturing and improving.

And if you exclude the two old-fogey keepers (?), our oldest outfield player is Pisano at 31 (nearing 32).  We then have a few 28s.  I think LJ handles a younger squad better, as there is a willingness to learn / improve.  There is no need to change the squad through age.  Most clubs will have players who’ve seen better days who they will be trying to move on.

This is his squad.  Even Smith signed by Cotts was with LJ at Oldham.  Pack, signed by SOD, has had the style built around him.  It’s only Frankie (SOD signing), who you might argue LJ has tried to replace a few times, that isn’t an LJ player.

Perhaps he would’ve been better to not make his 3 windows comment (lessons learned), but in fairness had he said 3 years (anniversary yesterday), he might’ve been laughed out of town!

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with the first bit Ian - we have different triggers and will still press at times, in areas and try and hem an opponent in and pinch possession but not so high up the pitch

but disagree with the second bit ,I’m not a stat watcher but I’d have a blind bet we’ve been winning games whilst not dominating possession more this season ,  to me we are happy Idf we don’t hem them in anywhere to drop very narrow and compact (And pretty bloody solid Tbf) and have our rest whilst they try and play through us

The key for me is our execution of the transition when we do regain possession and counter

With CODs form and and KPs addition etc etc this is improving - we are looking solid

Coupled with the transition to defence when we lose the ball.  That is just as important....and that is where stifling / constraining Marlon Pack going one way (forwards) helps when we lose the ball, as he is in position to stop us being exposed centrally.  I didn’t like the effect of Pack playing in “the cage” (LJ’s words), as initially it meant we lost efficiency in our attacks...but as the other have adjusted to not having him there as a forward pivot, it’s become really effective.  Believe it or not, I think this is where Pato has benefitted (especially away) because he is now the pivot for attacks, e.g. Stoke - it was him getting the ball centrally and spraying wide to Hunt.  This allows Pack to sit in and us not get exposed.

Ignoring the red (misplaced passes), I think Forest away shows how the two are complimenting each other.  Not that I wouldn’t like to see Kasey Palmer in that role though!

AA2DC453-B95B-4022-9AC3-D2B02535B298.jpeg

8DC5A409-5BB9-49C7-8BBE-4734752E6500.jpeg

Archived