IGNORED

"Never been so disenchanted with Bristol City"

Shtanley

I recall a few months back there appeared to be a growing trend amongst City supporters of people being seemingly bored and completely done with football in it's (then) current state at Bristol City. 

Many threatening to not renew ST and to stop going out of pure boredom.

At the time I was a little bewildered and taken aback. I'm wondering whether that sentiment is still there or whether it was just because of our pretty poor form back then.

Just curious if anyone felt the same at the time or if they still do feel the same now. 

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I recall a few months back there appeared to be a growing trend amongst City supporters of people being seemingly bored and completely done with football in it's (then) current state at Bristol City. 

At the time I was a little bewildered and taken aback. I'm wondering whether that sentiment is still there or whether it was just because of our pretty poor form back then.

Just curious if anyone felt the same at the time or if they still do feel the same now. 

I have only made it back for one game do far this season (Brentford away), and recall saying to someone before hand that I had not become disinterested in a season so early for a long time.

Certainly recent form has improved things, but either way, would likely still renew my ST regardless.

Whilst I made no threat not to renew my ST I wasn't happy with the offering earlier in the season. The form as we know has picked up massively and the entertainment value is getting there. How content the fans are currently  depends on how you want to win - grinding out the 1-0's or knocking teams for 6 (or 3 or 4 or 5)..... And then there is the debate of winning or entertaining football. We'd all like both but that's hard to find.

19 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

House/garden work or football and a couple of pints, urm let me think...

28 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Ok Mr smug.

Disenchantment is, by in large, directly reflected by form, performance and results. Can't blame those that were disenfranchised prior to the run we're on, but I'd be surprised if many still are. There's nothing fickle about it, it's the nature of the beast: if your team isn't performing, people are naturally going to be unhappy. Some fans are more patient than others, but ultimately the only thing that guarantees a happy ship are a string of good results. It ain't rocket science! 

For me we were mixed, a few good performances, but some poor ones v Wigan, Rotherham....and not always correlated to results, e.g. played well v West Brom.

There was no identifiable system and style, it certainly not one that the players seemed in cohesion with.

Millwall, despite a draw, was the first game of the 4141/4411/4231, tight at the back....where I saw a pattern.  The Ipswich game on the Tuesday before that started our run was almost comedic....and nothing like the style we started to play afterwards.

It has taken time to get to where we need but I think we have got better gradually in each game, playing a bit more shorter football, and generally creating better chances each game.  We have interchangeable players without any degradation in play.

As I said to Kid....never been so content.  Johnson is doing a good job...I’ve not been able to get above he’s doing a decent job previously.

I’m hoping that the boring bit was the necessary evil of tightening us up defensively and let’s be fair there were a string of matches that were dire to watch. However we are now solid but also looking a threat going forward and playing football in patches that is very impressive. The break from their corner on Saturday and the move where O’Dowda pretty much passed it back to the keeper were both top drawer.

Surely as a supporter you ‘support’ your team whether they are doing well or performing shite, not just turning up when things are looking good? That’s how I was brought up supporting city anyway, yes we were playing poor earlier on in the season and was like watching paint dry at times, but things were nowhere near as bad as some would make out, we’ve been through ALOT worse.

For me the fun went from the Gate for a lot of this season and this was on top of last seasons spiritless collapse. I was turning up more because that’s what you do on Saturday rather than any enjoyment. Unrealistically or not, I expected more entertainment and signs of moving forward than what I was seeing for my increasingly expensive season ticket.  Not just points in the bag but good football every now and then.  The last few weeks I see a settled formation, a hard working, solid team with a fair bit of attacking ability, spirit and a bit of entertainment.  This in turn has led to a better atmosphere at the Gate and me and my mates enjoying ourselves, coming away happy, not feeling I’m wasting my hard earned cash and looking forward to the next game.  Long may it continue.

Whilst initially unimpressed with LJs appointment, I have certainly been more aligned to ‘happy clappy’ than ‘Johnson Out’. 

The only time I really wanted a change was during our record-breaking losing streak. That didn’t happen and with hindsight I’m pleased. It was the right thing to do. 

As a supporter since the 1970s I’ve seen the ups but mostly downs of being a City fan. This season is a good one believe me - and last season wasn’t bad either. 

No football fan (or fan of any sport) can pick his/her teams good performances and forgo the bad. You have to take the rough with the smooth - and I’ve seen some rough in my time. 

Good times - even if we don’t eventually make the playoffs (but of course I hope we do)

24 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Surely as a supporter you ‘support’ your team whether they are doing well or performing shite, not just turning up when things are looking good? That’s how I was brought up supporting city anyway, yes we were playing poor earlier on in the season and was like watching paint dry at times, but things were nowhere near as bad as some would make out, we’ve been through ALOT worse.

Couldn'tagree with this more. My take on it is that the complainants are too young to remember the bad times... Or too old and their memories are shot!

We were not very good early in the season. We played a more defensive game than ever before but were still losing games and making silly mistakes. Little wonder many were annoyed or angry or both.

However as I have said many times, the issue is winning for nearly all supporters first and foremost. Something we have done precious little of outside the third tier. 

Now we are winning people are happier and we have a chance at actually getting promotion, which in October was a laughable notion. So yeah feeling better even dare i say it confident we can at least mount a challenge...As i guess is Steve L!!

Please don't ignore 'The Bristol Effect'. Much of my disenchantment has nothing to do with the club and everything to do with a City that clearly doesn't want or welcome visitors. Who goes out of its way to make things difficult. It also has everything to do with the upstart inhabitants around BS3 ( you know who you are.) Here's an example:

Pre cup game I race down from London, pick the lad up from Bath and look to get parked up near the ground circa 6:30pm. Just time to get a beer and swift bite to eat. Enter a virtually empty Souk Kitchen ( North Star junction Raleigh Rd.) and having latterly obtained the attention of a surly waitress request a table for two (all bar two are empty.) No we don't have a reservation but we're off to the footy, looking to place an immediate order and will be out within 45 minutes. I might as well have spat in her face: "we're fully booked." I pointed out to no avail it unlikely most covers would arrive in the next 30 minutes ( your kitchen wouldn't cope,) but no, she was obviously tired of having to serve the 4 covers in situ. So off we went to Thalli over the road, were warmly welcomed, sat in the window and whilst enjoying decent food and beer watch 2, possibly 3, punters stupidly enter across the road. Like the upstarts who moan about living near a football ground, I hope they go bust.

Some Football supporters are incredibly fickle, put in 2 or 3 poor displays and lose the games and you'll soon hear some saying manager must go, boring football, worst City match ever etc. you hear that sort of nonsense from City, Rovers and Yeovil fans pretty much every season on Radio Bristol. In the same vein stick some wins together and you get some people going to the other extreme. I mean I love Webster and think he is a great signing but I'm not prepared to call him the new Beckanbauer quite yet!

8 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Some Football supporters are incredibly fickle, put in 2 or 3 poor displays and lose the games and you'll soon hear some saying manager must go, boring football, worst City match ever etc. you hear that sort of nonsense from City, Rovers and Yeovil fans pretty much every season on Radio Bristol. In the same vein stick some wins together and you get some people going to the other extreme. I mean I love Webster and think he is a great signing but I'm not prepared to call him the new Beckanbauer quite yet!

I heard on RB once (during Skeletor`s reign I think) some s*g actually utter the immortal words `worst Rovers side for forty years Geoff`. They were in the play off positions at the time I think.

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

A couple of dozen out of how many fans?

For the first 5 games of our unbeaten run and the few games before i was disenchanted. I even skipped one of the home games. But now there is clarity. The boredom has in fact become consistency. Consitant defenseve performances will mean we will finish higher than last season. And when were grinding out those 1-0 or 2-1 wins in the last few games of the season it will have all been worth it and we will be sat on the edge of our seats enjoying every moment. Thats all providing were around the top 6. If were not part of the chasing pack for promotion then we havent advanced from last year and that would be a reason for me to reconsider the hundreds of pounds a season ticket cost. What im saying is 8th or higher please Lee , keep a clean sheet till 70 min and send Taylor on to bring home the 3 points and i will leave the gate each week a happy clappy chappy. 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

This type of thread is becoming quite common and increasingly tiresome....you may have dressed it up a bit but it still reads like a ‘told you so about LJ’ type discussion...we’ve had loads of these, why post smug stuff trying to score points? 

It’s going well at the moment, why can’t you just enjoy it without having a badly-disguised dig at some supporters?

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Please don't ignore 'The Bristol Effect'. Much of my disenchantment has nothing to do with the club and everything to do with a City that clearly doesn't want or welcome visitors. Who goes out of its way to make things difficult. It also has everything to do with the upstart inhabitants around BS3 ( you know who you are.) Here's an example:

Pre cup game I race down from London, pick the lad up from Bath and look to get parked up near the ground circa 6:30pm. Just time to get a beer and swift bite to eat. Enter a virtually empty Souk Kitchen ( North Star junction Raleigh Rd.) and having latterly obtained the attention of a surly waitress request a table for two (all bar two are empty.) No we don't have a reservation but we're off to the footy, looking to place an immediate order and will be out within 45 minutes. I might as well have spat in her face: "we're fully booked." I pointed out to no avail it unlikely most covers would arrive in the next 30 minutes ( your kitchen wouldn't cope,) but no, she was obviously tired of having to serve the 4 covers in situ. So off we went to Thalli over the road, were warmly welcomed, sat in the window and whilst enjoying decent food and beer watch 2, possibly 3, punters stupidly enter across the road. Like the upstarts who moan about living near a football ground, I hope they go bust.

A lot to be said for this...whilst I love watching the City like any other fan, my actual games watched this season has decreased, mainly down to the fact it's an actual ball ache to get to the ground. So many factors...it has to be almost military precision to make a game...gone are the days when I could make a decision on the day....which is more often than not what I need to do.

Driving has now become nigh on impossible unless you leave hours before...and public transport is just too unreliable.

Going to the footy is meant to be a release from the real world and entertaining. It's actually more stressful than the working day.

Whilst I have really enjoyed the games I've watched and love the way we are playing...I've often found other activities to do that are less stressful on match day.

Archived