IGNORED

Good News for a U.K. and Ireland World cup, coming here in 2030

Never to the dark side

27 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Do you think Lansdown is holding back on doing the atayo stand to see if we get the bid ?

only thing is how do we raise the capacity to 40 k . Don’t think you could build a stand behind the goal that we hold 13 thousand.

The South Stand has been built to accommodate another tier.

Would need another 2 tiers on the South Stand to get us near 40k - not sure what it currently holds and can’t be bothered to look but I would presume a second tier on South Stand would push us to 34k maybe max.

Development of a 2-tier Atyeo going further back is the only way to get us to 40k but that would mean buying the houses behind to get permission as the Atyeo cannot currently go higher or deeper.

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Do you think Lansdown is holding back on doing the atayo stand to see if we get the bid ?

only thing is how do we raise the capacity to 40 k . Don’t think you could build a stand behind the goal that we hold 13 thousand.

A few big tents should do it!

If this bid wins, then I can't see Bristol getting any games.  As has been said it would require the Atyeo being replaced and I don't think that's going to happen.

But a joint British/Irish bid is a great idea, England is big enough to host by itself but adding in the others will make it a more attractive bid as we can play on World Cup games in the countries that are too small to host by themselves.

Although having said that, if Qatar is big enough to host by itself then so is the Isle of Man.

20 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

If this bid wins, then I can't see Bristol getting any games.  As has been said it would require the Atyeo being replaced and I don't think that's going to happen.

But a joint British/Irish bid is a great idea, England is big enough to host by itself but adding in the others will make it a more attractive bid as we can play on World Cup games in the countries that are too small to host by themselves.

Although having said that, if Qatar is big wealthy  enough to host by itself then so is the Isle of Man.

8 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Been far too long since we have hosted it, only one tournament since we hosted the 66' World Cup. Since then

Germany have hosted 2 World Cups

France have hosted a World Cup and Euro 

Italy have hosted a World Cup and Euro. 

We're definitely due to hold something!

And don't forget that by 2030 Mexico would've hosted 3 World Cups since 1966!

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Read the BBC article in which it says that even Anfield and Old Trafford would not meet the Technical spec. It's much more complicated than just having 40,000 seats.

Who's idea was it to make the new new White Hart Lane not World Cup ready?!

Edit: Maybe they just mean they think it won't be ready by 2030... :yawn:

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Don't discount a last minute panic around Qatar not being politically suitable.

Not many venues could put this gig on at short notice other than England /Ireland, Russia and Germany

Spain too I’d imagine. But it is our bloody turn! 

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Read the BBC article in which it says that even Anfield and Old Trafford would not meet the Technical spec. It's much more complicated than just having 40,000 seats.

I heard similar on talksport a few months ago. It's the outside of the stadiums that are the problem. Having a large enough space between security and the stadium was the main thing. A lot of British grounds are very compact with being in amongst residential areas 

42 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I heard similar on talksport a few months ago. It's the outside of the stadiums that are the problem. Having a large enough space between security and the stadium was the main thing. A lot of British grounds are very compact with being in amongst residential areas 

BBC said anfield, old Trafford etc was not enough space between pitch and advertising boards, not enough space for photographers

19 hours ago, Neo said:

Would need another 2 tiers on the South Stand to get us near 40k - not sure what it currently holds and can’t be bothered to look but I would presume a second tier on South Stand would push us to 34k maybe max.

Development of a 2-tier Atyeo going further back is the only way to get us to 40k but that would mean buying the houses behind to get permission as the Atyeo cannot currently go higher or deeper.

could they build a copy of the Lansdown where the dolman is currently, imagine that with another stand like the south stand to replace the Atyeo ,  the ground would look fantastic, but getting it to 40,000 might prove a problem, that's why imo it was a shame we couldn't get the Ashton vale site over the line though I realise at the moment we don't need the capacity, still think if we went up our ground would for at least 10 games be nowhere near big enough.

On 08/02/2019 at 15:06, Hampshire Red said:

Don't discount a last minute panic around Qatar not being politically suitable.

Not many venues could put this gig on at short notice other than England /Ireland, Russia and Germany

Qatar wasn’t politically suitable when they were awarded it H R. Anyway it’d be disrespectful to all the young lads who have lost their lives during construction to not hold it there.  

Yes you are right it wasn't polically acceptable then but is perhaps even less so now.

My main point is the decision was made during (now proven) mass corruption to get the votes. With that corruption exposed and those guilty parties no longer making decisions the new regime could recommend anything outside Qatar.

Even going back to South Africa who in 2010 experienced loss of lives there is a case to return een though it wouldn't get my vote.UK and Ireland would do!

fifa is still a swamp of corruption I’d imagine. While were on the subject it never ceases to amaze me how, when people in high office are caught out they rarely do time. Just relieved of their duties, forced to retire on their ill gotten gains like that’s punishment enough! 

Would central government not allow us to purchase the homes behind the atyeo to enable the development much like spurs bought houses/businesses next to their ground? 

If we won the rights to hold the World Cup in 2018 the new stadium would have been pushed through despite the town green status. 

Archived