IGNORED

Player / Manager of the month (Merged)

InCyder

Haven't seen a thread on it yet so I hope I'm not duplicating. Firstly, congrats to LJ - Understandably up for the Manager of the Month award and favourite to claim it. More often than not, a player from the same team will be nominated for the Player of the Month award for obvious reasons. 

I know we haven't really had those consistent stand-out performances from our attackers but I was a little surprised not to see either one of our CB's in the running for Player of the Month considering how good they have been. Got me thinking about how difficult it is for a defender to make a big impression outside of their own club so I thought I'd do a little digging to see how often defenders pick up the Player of the Month award. The last time it was won by a defender in the Championship? 

Aden Flint - September 17

Before that

Aden Flint - Feb 16

I guess you need to score goals as a defender to stand a chance? Perhaps it's just me (it's quite likely) that tends to admire a top performance from a defender more so than the equivalent from an attacker. 

8 hours ago, hodge said:

Has to be Mowbray, 4/4 and 3 clean sheets. Good for LJ to be nominated again shows continued success while not getting the curse

I have to be honest, like others might think for us, Blackburn's run in January passed me by - under the radar you could say. Go on then, give it to Mowbray and they can have the 'curse' for the weekend! 

Edit. I see they have given both awards to the Blackburn pair. 

7 minutes ago, DOZZYBCFC said:

All this talk of a curse - are there any stats to back this up?

I don't have any, but I remember a few years back when either John Ward or Danny Wilson won it two months running - at the time it was the first time it had ever been done, which shows that keeping that kind of form going for an extended period is a pretty rare thing.

17 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I don't have any, but I remember a few years back when either John Ward or Danny Wilson won it two months running - at the time it was the first time it had ever been done, which shows that keeping that kind of form going for an extended period is a pretty rare thing.

It's a myth which is down to an effect that also covers another myth- the dead cat bounce.

When someones wins manager of the month its usually because a team has performed exceptionally, particularly relative to their previous form that season.

If Brentford and Norwich both won 4/4 in Feb as an example, it would more than likely be the Brentford manager who wins MOTM. But what would follow is regression to the mean. Brentford would have outperformed their previous performances for this season, meaning it's unlikely for it to carry on for an extended period. When the inevitable fallaway happens it gets put down to the 'curse'.

Same idea with sacked managers (and research has been done on this) where often there is a slight upturn in results, but the players regress back to how they were doing before that's why some teams always seem to need a new manager around the same time each year. Data also shows that if a club sticks with the manager it may take a bit longer for the poor form to end, but the results on the other side of the bad form are better than the 'good' results obtained from the "dead cat bounce".

Short version- opposite effect of the 'dead cat bounce' but using the same principle.

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very good manager

A bit of a more experienced LJ imo. When his sides are at their best they are excellent to watch (West Brom 07-08 being a prime example) but he's also prone to some very poor runs of results. 

He's done well at Blackburn and it'll be a tough game on Saturday no doubt

Archived