IGNORED

Future gazing - what will City look like in the Prem?

reddogkev

I want to take a moment to consider the possible future of City.

For the sake of this, I'm going to suggest that City are promoted to the Premier League, which seems likely to happen in the next few years, based on our current progression.

Will Ashton Gate be a sell-out every week?  I'd say, very likely, and I'd suggest we'd shift over 20,000k season tickets, would you agree?

Will we be a club that thrives and develops, like Bournemouth, or will we struggle and fight relegation, like a Cardiff / WBA?  With the infrastructure we now have in place, and with a very intelligent billionaire at the helm, I'd say that steps would be made to ensure we would thrive, even in our debut season in the top flight.

Will City be able to attract the right quality of players to boast the squad?  I'm not sure about this, and would be interested to see how our salary structure would change, and whether the extra revenue of the Prem League would allow us to massively increase our expenditure.  Be interested to read the thought of the OTIB financial guru, Mr Popodopolous (sp?), on this subject.

Will Lee Johnson and the current management team be up to the required standard to grow in the top tier?

I've said for years that I believe LJ is our Eddie Howe, and as such I hope he adapts well to the top tier and continues his impressive record against top-flight teams.  Alternatively, in the future, it is of course possible that it will take a different manager to push us over the promotion line, like a Jokanovic for example.

There are many more interesting points to consider, hopefully we get to answer these questions in reality not to far away from the present.

Looking forward to reading any thoughts on the subject.

I, like everyone, dream the City will make it to the Prem. 

If we make it there would have to be some serious changes to our wage and transfer policy....and whilst appreciate your point about the SL......he would need to make a marked change in mental approach to the football club. This will, of course, be aided by the TV rights, and all the other payments made to clubs for just being in the Prem.

If I were LJ and managed to get us promoted to the Prem...I'd leave with legendary status (ie not manage us at all in the prem) rather than potentially look like a spent force should the worst happen. There would be no point to that legacy if he subsequently took us back down the following season. 

Either way we have a number of serious changes to think about prior to getting there

I must say at this point that I was frustrated and angry with the start of the season but, like many, I'm starting to see depth in the squad and have belief that we are on the road something better. Long may it last!

COYRs 

I agree we should not make outlandish signings. We should follow the present policy and if we go down we will have the parachute payments plus an improving squad ready to go straight back up even stronger. We must not allow ourselves to become a Bradford City wasting money on expensive overseas players who add next to nothing to the squad. We absolutely should keep Lee Johnson who is proving to be a talented young manager who will get better and better with experience.

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You got to have a dream, @reddogkev, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come true?

And if you don't talk "seems likely" and you never have a dream

Then you'll never (set yourself up for a fall on here and have your thread put up on the S4g forum, to be mocked mercilessly. ...)

You're just a happy talk clapper.

I’m confident we would sell out games regularly. Mostly through loads of season tickets.

i imagine we would keep the bulk of the team but try and add maybe 3/4 biggish signings to add that bit of extra quality 

We would give it a good crack but in the balance of all probabibility I imagine we would more likely come down again than stay up. Would be set up much better financially from it tho with the parachute payments 

50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fulham and others have shown you can spend a fortune and do worse than teams that don't spend much. Many of Cardiff's players from last season are doing a decent job. I reckon we'd stick with a lot of our current squad. They're all improving and many might have prem potential anyway. 

Location is not an issue, Fulham are bottom and reside in London. Attracting the right players to play at that level is key as will be the salary paid by the club. Yes there will be a larger budget and I hope we would follow the likes of Bournemouth who buy talented youngsters and the odd foreign import as well as develop players from within and are able to sustain their place in the top division. They also play an attractive style of football and dish out the odd bloodied nose to the top clubs

If it did happen, I hope we would continue running the Club in the same manner as we do now.

I'd be perfectly happy to be a Club like WBA that 'boings' between the two Leagues.

The Premium just breeds predictable.

You aren't going to make top 6 so what's the point.

Teams set up to not lose, rather than win.

They worry about going down, yet spend millions of pounds on players that are nothing more than average.

You can become settled in the Prem like Stoke were...then it goes tits up.

The Club often goes into freefall, has players on its books that don't want to be there and it becomes toxic.

Who needs that...

Keep doing what we are doing...as we wouldn't be able to compete against top 6...why do what every other average club in that division is doing...playing to survive. Boring as hell.

There are models for getting it right in the Premier League.

Bonkers though it may seem, we have one thing against and that's geography. Even though Bristol might be the most popular place for under 30s to move to in the UK, in footballing terms, we are an outpost, and not one with much of any history. Even Bournemouth have picked up players from Southampton, while Burnley benefit from being in the North West, while Fulham obviously have the lure of the capital's bright lights. Brighton also isn't that far, but for Cardiff and Huddersfield it is also more of a challenge to recruit well.

Certainly we should not go on an overseas spending spree. Develop the Academy to Tier 1, buy wisely from the lower leagues (there are young talents there, witness David Brooks at Bournemouth) and even if we bounce once or twice between promotion and relegation, keep building steadily, and make good use of the parachute payments.

If players like Kalas, Tammy, Palmer etc go back to Chelsea saying good things then that's one bonus. Is Kalas a PL quality player ? How many other such players are at Chelsea alone, what about other PL clubs ?

Could the club have part of the squad become the Guinea pig gang,  talent from top 6 PL clubs (even Euro clubs) that the top clubs can't risk playing quite yet themselves but want to see if they can make it (or have no future and gotten rid off). If they do get rid of the players who are not going to be at the top, are they good enough for a midtable PL team ? Could we hover up those players thus gaining from giving them exposure whilst also benefiting from those who prove they could be/are the best of the best before going to their home club.

Can our academy keep bringing on players of the same or better quality - the odd PL product, but there is also money in the Championship, if they don't make it with us we have proven we can bring on championship / L1 players - can we make money and be seen as a source for quality young players for these lower league clubs.

We then also need some quality players ourselves, and that's down to money / club rep / location. Bristol's location in the UK geographically is good (transport etc) is a nice city to live in/around, it just does not have the footballing history (that we have to create). Until we get a reputation, then it's going to be money, so is SL willing to dip short term into his pocket ?

I am sure it's the same thing all the promoted clubs go through, it's having any plan and the courage to stick with it if you think it's going to work.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I agree we should not make outlandish signings. We should follow the present policy and if we go down we will have the parachute payments plus an improving squad ready to go straight back up even stronger. We must not allow ourselves to become a Bradford City wasting money on expensive overseas players who add next to nothing to the squad. We absolutely should keep Lee Johnson who is proving to be a talented young manager who will get better and better with experience.

Exactly....avoid soccer mercaneries, be prepared to go down stronger than you came up.  If the manager was good enough to get you up first time, give him another chance to do it a second time...remember where we are in the food chain.

I agree we must continue as we are, take the knock backs and keep growing. We have alot going for us:

An owner prepared to invest

A decent bottom PL sized stadium that could be expanded

Biggest club for miles around

The 6th city in the country

4th most important city in the country https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization_and_World_Cities_Research_Network

Loads of young people moving here

Not as bad a location geographically as some would make out. 75 mins to Heathrow, 90 to Central London, 75 to the second city etc. Third biggest airport in the country outside London with flights to every corner of Europe.

It's about time we took advantage of that. Long term why cant we be top 10 in the PL?

3 hours ago, MelksRed said:

I, like everyone, dream the City will make it to the Prem. 

If we make it there would have to be some serious changes to our wage and transfer policy....and whilst appreciate your point about the SL......he would need to make a marked change in mental approach to the football club. This will, of course, be aided by the TV rights, and all the other payments made to clubs for just being in the Prem.

If I were LJ and managed to get us promoted to the Prem...I'd leave with legendary status (ie not manage us at all in the prem) rather than potentially look like a spent force should the worst happen. There would be no point to that legacy if he subsequently took us back down the following season. 

Either way we have a number of serious changes to think about prior to getting there

I must say at this point that I was frustrated and angry with the start of the season but, like many, I'm starting to see depth in the squad and have belief that we are on the road something better. Long may it last!

COYRs 

Sorry if I have misunderstood, but are you saying that IF Johnson took us up this year he should walk away and not even give it a crack in the prem? And in turn this would give him legendary status?

If so that is one of the most ridiculous things I think I have ever read in this forum!

52 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Sorry if I have misunderstood, but are you saying that IF Johnson took us up this year he should walk away and not even give it a crack in the prem? And in turn this would give him legendary status?

If so that is one of the most ridiculous things I think I have ever read in this forum!

I would assume Lee has bigger ambitions than the poster would!  

Agree it’s a very weird thing to suggest and would never happen 

49 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That's how I read it.

In the potential yet improbable event of promotion this season- the very last thing the club or team would need or want is a new Manager search. And at 37, I doubt very much indeed that Lee would think he's taken the club as far as it can go. 

Talking to Swansea fans on the way to the ground and the premiership came up in conversation. There main gripe was when the big teams come to town the ground fills with fans that just want to watch the team they were playing ( how many were asked for tickets when we drew Man U last season) but we have a ground full with season ticket holders that should not ne a problem. Secondly it would be another nail in rovers coffin 

we dare to dream.....

22 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Talking to Swansea fans on the way to the ground and the premiership came up in conversation. There main gripe was when the big teams come to town the ground fills with fans that just want to watch the team they were playing ( how many were asked for tickets when we drew Man U last season) but we have a ground full with season ticket holders that should not ne a problem. Secondly it would be another nail in rovers coffin 

we dare to dream.....

Club would need to be hot on this- as we saw with that Leeds fan in the Dolman 8 years ago, it doesn't end well if it happens here...

I've seen photos online in fact from a Carling Cup game last season I think- Swansea-Man Utd, with Man Utd shirts being worn in home end. Incredible!

Archived