IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers v Bristol City Match Day 30

Septic Peg

"Helloooo. We are the best club in Bristol now, the richest club in Bristol, a new stadium's on it's way, what more dya want? Happy days, unlucky da shit. You know, I gotta say, it's a perfect time. I would say premiership in 5 years, here we go!!!"

3 years later next week Mr Barber. Leave the fortune telling to me eh?

So to another BRFC that "play in da blu n white". Blackburn.

The heady days of winning the Prem back in the 90s are long gone. Now a bouncing team, they jump like Jonathan Edwards between the Champ and L1. So what happened to the stars of that premiership team that stunned the nation? Let's play, Where Are They Now?

(All info from Wikipedia)

Tim Flowers - goalie. Now manager at Solihull Motors.

Tony Gale - defender. Now on Sky Sports.

Tim Sherwood - defender and captain. Unknown but last got the boot from Swindon as DoF back in 2016.

Colin Hendry - defender. Again unknown (last worked as a coach at Blackburn nearly 5 years ago) but sad times for the man with the glorious hair. His wife sadly died, he was declared bankrupt and he got done for harassment.

Graeme Le Saux - defender. Strange one this. Still floats around as a pundit for BBC/ITV but actual job is luring sports stars to bank with this particular Dutch bank. Weird flex, but ok.

Alan Shearer - striker. £3m and won the golden boot that season with 34. We know where he is.

Chris Sutton - striker and strike partner of big Al. Now works for BT Sport as a pundit on Scottish games.

Shay Given - goalie. A young lad at the time, ickle Shay was part of that team though he didn't play. He went on to be arguably, one of Newcastle's greatest gk's and is now Derby gk coach.

Ones to watch today include Ben Brereton, Bradley Dack and Derrick Williams (probably won't play but he's a City reject so he gets a clap).

Also, not forgetting a certain Mr Palmer was playing for Blackburn just a few weeks ago. But he got stick from certain areas because Mowbray played him out of position... he'll get some stick from the home fans no doubt so money on him to score is a must.

2-2 draw. Would have gone for a 2-1 win for us but can't dismiss Dack and Graham.

Coyrs!

A setback for Blackburn in their last game, especially after leading, but they were on an impressive run till then.

Of course we are on our own strong run, but just have a feeling that our unbeaten run might come to an end today - a draw would be a very good result.  

I wonder about their starting lineup. Dack & Graham were both subbed off with injuries in their last game, which seems to have been a major reason why they went on to suffer a fairly emphatic defeat after having been on a very good run. The BBC’s preview yesterday reported that both were likely to play, but if my recollection is correct both were withdrawn quite early in the game and you don’t usually do that with two of your most influential players unless the injuries are significant. Could there be a bit of kidology going on here? If one or both should turn out to be unavailable, it would make a big difference to them. In those circumstances, I’d fancy us to get a result.

Solihull Moors no Peg?

On Colin Hendry... From the Daily Record in June 2018...

The former defender invested cash after enlisting the services of Kingsbridge Asset Management.

He was one of a number of footballers, including Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand, who hired the London-based financial advisers.

Says he declared bankruptcy due to that.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

"Helloooo. We are the best club in Bristol now, the richest club in Bristol, a new stadium's on it's way, what more dya want? Happy days, unlucky da shit. You know, I gotta say, it's a perfect time. I would say premiership in 5 years, here we go!!!"

3 years later next week Mr Barber. Leave the fortune telling to me eh?

So to another BRFC that "play in da blu n white". Blackburn.

The heady days of winning the Prem back in the 90s are long gone. Now a bouncing team, they jump like Jonathan Edwards between the Champ and L1. So what happened to the stars of that premiership team that stunned the nation? Let's play, Where Are They Now?

(All info from Wikipedia)

Tim Flowers - goalie. Now manager at Solihull Motors.

Tony Gale - defender. Now on Sky Sports.

Tim Sherwood - defender and captain. Unknown but last got the boot from Swindon as DoF back in 2016.

Colin Hendry - defender. Again unknown (last worked as a coach at Blackburn nearly 5 years ago) but sad times for the man with the glorious hair. His wife sadly died, he was declared bankrupt and he got done for harassment.

Graeme Le Saux - defender. Strange one this. Still floats around as a pundit for BBC/ITV but actual job is luring sports stars to bank with this particular Dutch bank. Weird flex, but ok.

Alan Shearer - striker. £3m and won the golden boot that season with 34. We know where he is.

Chris Sutton - striker and strike partner of big Al. Now works for BT Sport as a pundit on Scottish games.

Shay Given - goalie. A young lad at the time, ickle Shay was part of that team though he didn't play. He went on to be arguably, one of Newcastle's greatest gk's and is now Derby gk coach.

Ones to watch today include Ben Brereton, Bradley Dack and Derrick Williams (probably won't play but he's a City reject so he gets a clap).

Also, not forgetting a certain Mr Palmer was playing for Blackburn just a few weeks ago. But he got stick from certain areas because Mowbray played him out of position... he'll get some stick from the home fans no doubt so money on him to score is a must.

2-2 draw. Would have gone for a 2-1 win for us but can't dismiss Dack and Graham.

Coyrs!

Whoa whoa whoa... what about Stuart Ripley, Jason Wilcox and Mike Newell?! 

On Graham Le Saux, I would recommend the Quickly Kevin Will He Score podcast with Josh Widdicomb about 90s football. Le Saux is interviewed and comes across pretty well.

David Batty, where is he now?! He was injured for most of that title winning season at Blackburn, playing for them 3 times. Since retiring, I learned from said pod, he's become a recluse, off the grid completely. 

BBC says Dack and Graham picked up knocks. Desperately hope that's true. Graham is a funny one because I thought he was rubbish in the Prem but he looks a handful at this level. 

I'm worried we might lose, but a win would HUGE for our season. HUGE!!

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

David Batty, where is he now?! He was injured for most of that title winning season at Blackburn, p laying for them 3 times. Since retiring, he's become a recluse, off the grid completely.   

* believed to be enjoying the last of the summer wine somewhere on the Yorkshire Moors with Nora, the love of his life.

(not a lot of people know that!) 

Today will be a good opportunity to see Pack’s effectiveness in the DM (4141) versus a true AM in Dack.  The way Dack and Graham play off each other is key, with Armstrong run in from wide to join up.

Here’s the away game when both got subbed after 52 minutes.  Obviously not a full 90.

1075931D-1955-4BC6-87E1-7C45D61DB942.thumb.jpeg.927b72e6af3dc52e6263d9249deadedf.jpeg

But here’s the 3-0 at home which might be much more like we’ll expect today.  Both players much more involved...and why I think “Pack v Dack” will be key today.  Hopefully Kalas and Webster will ensure Graham doesn’t have an easy afternoon.

B64AC749-F45B-4D54-9495-BDD940E46AF6.thumb.jpeg.b93d2ebb88dfc0e9c88585dd0056955b.jpeg

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Just the one defender probably, rest incl Dack should recover unfortunately.... they concede loads and score loads, think we need the extra striker up front . 

Hadn’t clocked what an awful defensive record they’ve got. One of the worst in this league. So, contrasting  styles, then. Makes me a little more hopeful. I would settle for a draw.

14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Browsing one of their forums they seem sure it will be a comfortable 2-0 or 3-1 win provided Dack & Graham fit to start... 

Oh, I hope this is true for most of them and they are really expecting to win.

Gonna be tough, and we will have to be at or somewhere near our best today to get something, I think. But let's keep this good thing going

COYR!!!!!

17 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Browsing one of their forums they seem sure it will be a comfortable 2-0 or 3-1 win provided Dack & Graham fit to start... 

Not saying we’ll win (would take a point) but find it bizarre that anyone thinks it would be an easy win against a side unbeaten in 13!

Archived