IGNORED

Why are we playing so well?

hoxton casual

Not having played football above Sunday league I am of course by fascinated by professional football management and coaching. But in all honesty I vacillate between cynicism and belief in all the talk of systems of play etc. Part of me says the skill is to buy good players for your level, give them confidence and let them play. In my more humble moments, I think I have no idea how the modern game is coached and played and there are things, I just don't understand from decades of watching from the stands. This run makes me think the later in that it seems LJ has had a plan to make us hard to beat by being confident in possession and by recruiting the the best defence in our league. It just seemed like defensive and timid until December but now it looks solid and flowing. We seem to create chances as well which is a good sign along with the possession stats. He is improving players such as COD and Brownhill as well as getting the best out of underated players such as Famara and Patterson. There are far better informed people on here than me but I am now a believer in coaching and sytems of play, and understand that saying these things can take time, is not necessarily a cop out, but the nature of modern coaching. Long may it continue

i think on this amazing run the players are showing consistency i would mark them as a 7/10 every game they have stepped up their  personal performances  with special mentions to our defence .fielding has been excellent coming back odowda has started scoring more and palmer  looks very promising

Goals conceded...second best in the division.

Whole team is playing more disciplined.

Team playing as one...attacking as one, defending as one.

Less open.

Team has gelled, developed, understands one another...no big time Charlies.

You can see they believe in one another and trust one another.

The players have always had the ability but I think we have benefitted from LJ finding a formation which he has faith in, sticking to it and the players seem to benefit from a consistent approach.  Whoever slots in also knows the role expected from them.  The guys coming on each week between 60 and 70 mins really do give us a lift and have an impact and I always think if we are still in it on 45 mins we have every chance of a win.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Goals conceded...second best in the division.

Whole team is playing more disciplined.

Team playing as one...attacking as one, defending as one.

Less open.

Team has gelled, developed, understands one another...no big time Charlies.

You can see they believe in one another and trust one another.

This, to me, is huge.

We’ve all had a good laugh about the “DNA” comments but have seen with Tomlin how one personality, irrespective of talent, can destroy a dressing room. 

Where we are now is a squad of players, each of whom work for each other, and each of whom know their roles. And that’s whether they’re in the team or not. The trick that LJ has managed is to get better players who are more likely to have ego with no ego. That’s huge.

At this level the players are better than 99% of people who kick a ball, and there isn’t much between base ability of all the players in the division at all clubs. Where there is a difference is between the ears. Work hard, work to the plan, work for each other. That’s why.

9 minutes ago, General Zod said:

The players have always had the ability but I think we have benefitted from LJ finding a formation which he has faith in, sticking to it and the players seem to benefit from a consistent approach.  Whoever slots in also knows the role expected from them.  The guys coming on each week between 60 and 70 mins really do give us a lift and have an impact and I always think if we are still in it on 45 mins we have every chance of a win.

SL and MA will not pay inflated prices for players. The issue is the inflated prices typically belong to forwards. 

Thus we have to create forwards ala Bobby Reid and keep tight, looking to grab a goal from where ever we can. We have players that have chipped in as Fammy is not that prolific this season, however he is being asked to be a battering ram every week with no one that close, so it is not that surprising that he really is not getting that many.

There will come a time when Palmer will be unleashed earlier or from the start, however for now we get wins by playing a certain way, being strong at both ends and adding some guile in the last 30 minutes, it works and teams dont seem to know how to break us down. Did Frank have to make a serious save today?

37 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It’s not one or two players but the whole team. Playing as team. Defending as a team. 

Kalas and Webster and Da Silva are incredible, but however good your defenders are, if the structure is not right in front of them, with everyone knowing their defensive role I dont believe we would be peforming to this level. I also believe that our ability to move the ball and keep possession and progress up the field in a controlled manner is important. LJ is obsessed with transitions and triggers and i think he has nailed that. We dont lose the ball when we are out of shape, and when we do lose the ball, we react very quickly and regain our shape.

Ark at I - I sound like DaveFevs ?

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Based on a sound defence. Something we havent had for a long time at this level. We are not a team that will blow other teams away.

Dare I say the GJ days? We had a knack of winning by the odd goal back then, often last minute. We also took a couple of spankings though, Ipswich springs to mind

32 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This, to me, is huge.

We’ve all had a good laugh about the “DNA” comments but have seen with Tomlin how one personality, irrespective of talent, can destroy a dressing room. 

Where we are now is a squad of players, each of whom work for each other, and each of whom know their roles. And that’s whether they’re in the team or not. The trick that LJ has managed is to get better players who are more likely to have ego with no ego. That’s huge.

At this level the players are better than 99% of people who kick a ball, and there isn’t much between base ability of all the players in the division at all clubs. Where there is a difference is between the ears. Work hard, work to the plan, work for each other. That’s why.

99.9%

While not his biggest fan , a hell of a lot of credit has to go to LJ.
For once recruitment was excellent , Kalas , DaSilva and Webster are quality. Then , changing from the higher press and more intense football of last year , he has slowly implemented a solid , disciplined style. For some time it didn't look good, 4 defeats on the trot, and even when that run ended, the football wasn't great to watch. 
Why it took so long to get going, and understand what LJ was trying to achieve , who knows. Slowly things have started to improve, the football is better and we are starting to look more of a threat, without sacrificing our solidity. Then ( what could turn out to be a master stroke) Palmer was added. More direct and always looking for forward runners, he adds a dimension we didn't have.  Throughout the team we have cover and options , choices all over. You can even add Semenyo and Taylor who could add that little bit of something towards the run in.
It definitely looks like LJ had a plan, he got players who could carry out that plan and now the whole squad understands what everyone needs to do and they do it. 
If this run carries on much longer I may have to start praising him :read:

50 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think for the most part, we aren't actually playing a lot better in possession than early in the season - we're just not conceding and are nicking the odd goal.

Correct in the first part of your comment. But it's not so simple as that.

There is a togetherness that all successful sides have. We're not playing sparkling football that makes one purr with delight. Yet we are grinding out results. The players clearly believe in the tactics even if many of us are there thinking "can we hang on to this lead and win 1-0 again". It's only a couple of months since we got an early goal at home and I said to my mate that we'd scored too early and we couldn't defend it for eighty minutes. We did not!

Do I believe that we'll make automatic promotion? No

Do I believe we'll make the pray off's? Not sure. It's one thing to not concede but it's my honest belief that we are not ruthless enough at the other end when we are on top. Our goal difference is poor compared with the five teams above us.

This year is another golden opportunity just like last season. Will our lack of recruitment in January be the conclusive factor? Could be but I'm old fashioned enough to agree with Hansen that you don't win anything with kids. Today, apart from Eros, the bench total ages for the remaining six is only around 120 years and probably less than 100 appearances between them.

So go for it LJ and squad. But none of us should be disappointed if we are still in Championship next season. We'll be stronger again then.

And before anyone mentions my posts in times gone by about LJ. I'm not totally sold on him but one would have to be blind and stupid not to acknowledge the recent improvement in management and on the pitch performances.

Onwards and upwards!

5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Why are we playing so well? My lad asked me exactly this this evening, and after waffling for a bit, and on observing his eyes glazing over/returning to his bleedin' phone, I had to concede: I don't really know.

love the honesty MoP.

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Why are we playing so well? My lad asked me exactly this this evening, and after waffling for a bit, and on observing his eyes glazing over/returning to his bleedin' phone, I had to concede: I don't really know.

Because the Head Coach, his assistants and the squad are on the same wavelength. Or "singing from the same hymnsheet" if you prefer.

Imv City are playing well because LJ has developed a squad that he felt could  perform th style he wants to play. 

He and his coaches have trained them to do just that and they’re all able to step up should the need arise. At least two quality players for every position. Strength in depth.....

The bedrock is of course the impressive CBs who have formed a solid partnership. Should one be missing then Baker, Wright or even Kelly can provide very adequate cover. The midfield partnership of Pack/Brownhill and the wide men of CoD and Eliasson  are all comfortable with each other’s game and why Palmer is yet to make regular starts.

We are seeing a style that LJ has been developing reaching its potential - with room for improvement.

I’d love to see City to put QPR to the sword on Tuesday night! 

Webster and Kalas rightly get the plaudits, but I don't think you can overestimate Pack's role in our defensive record of late.

The moment we lose possession he's back supporting the two CBS; and big part of the reason we don't keep getting sliced open by clever balls down the channels. That's what Blackburn were trying to do today and Pack broke up everything. He gives our full backs the confidence to go forward, and he gives the CBS that little bit of extra space. 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This, to me, is huge.

Just listen to the Pisano interview. Tells you all you need to know.

Archived