IGNORED

Is there a striker

AppyDAZE

4 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Oh, i didn't know we could only go with one formation.

It's not that we can, it's that we do. When you're 14 games unbeaten and 8 wins in a row is it really the right time to change the formation and start testing other ones? 

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's not that we can, it's that we do. When you're 14 games unbeaten and 8 wins in a row is it really the right time to change the formation and start testing other ones? 

Who's asking for a change? I was asking a serious question that has also been asked on TV tonight. Not many teams go up not having a bloke who gets a ton of goals in the process.

Lee and co are doing brilliant, i have no complaints, just asking a valid question.

We have an unbelievable back line, but do we have enough up top to take us the whole way?

Valid question

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Kasey Palmer ?

Looking promising so far, they are slightly different Kasey is fast and exiting on the ball, Canos seems to have that extra bit of time that seperates the good from the great, would be nice to have both of them (getting greedy now).

5 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I think the lad at Brum Che Evans would do a decent job if he were playing for us,Strong and with decent pace and a good shot.

5 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Glad you left out a D

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I like him a lot (apart from diving).

I’m assuming you lot actually mean Che Adams at Birmingham?

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

IMO we have the most complete striker in the league in Diedhiou.

Someone like Gayle, Pukki or Roofe alongside would be scary. 

We could lose the midfield that way though.

This has been one of the issues in the past- who would drop out for one of them? Currently the configuration works to a tee, pairing up- change of shape...problem IMO.

Now if we were talking one of them to replace Diedhiou as the apex in the formation- and I would add hypothetically speaking Assombalonga too- then different story. Movement of any of them with options like O'Dowda, Weimann, Palmer, Eliasson, Paterson- and the passing range of Pack and yes Webster especially- wow. That could lead us to a whole new level.

However we don't have them and the system works just fine as it is- think Palmer should start though, perhaps for Paterson.

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Who's asking for a change? I was asking a serious question that has also been asked on TV tonight. Not many teams go up not having a bloke who gets a ton of goals in the process.

Lee and co are doing brilliant, i have no complaints, just asking a valid question.

We have an unbelievable back line, but do we have enough up top to take us the whole way?

Valid question

You asked for names and you got a reply saying most of the ones you mentioned couldn't play as a solo player to which you replied

16 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Oh, i didn't know we could only go with one formation.

Implying that we could charge the formation. My reply was simply pointing out that changing the formation when it's working so well for us would be pointless. So the implication from yourself was that we could have a big name Striker by changing the formation. 

If you're in agreement that the formation should stay the same then the striker that would have certainly helped improve us was without a doubt Assombalonga as he's the main striker in the Championship who can play as a lone striker and has the ability to score goals. 

Currently Middlesbrough don't use Assombalonga as we'd have intended to, they essentially play a 3-4-3 with the front 3 being broken down into lone striker and two supporting AM's, this would work well for Assombalonga if Middlesbrough played a style of football like ours but instead they good the ball up to him and expect him to bring the two attacking mids into play. We're much more focused on using width and when we do lump it up to Fammy he doesn't have the control, despite his size and stature, to hold it off. Assombalonga is outstanding at holding up a ball and playing the ball to a supporting player, the issue at Middlesbrough is that he then turns and gets into the box, only with their second AM and midfield pushing up the box gets crowded and he's nullified. Because we only play with one AM he tends to receive from our front man and distribute the ball elsewhere allowing the forward to push up in the box where there is space and our wide men can provide. 

I genuinely believe Assombalonga would have done wonders for us, he's better suited as the role Fammy plays and it would also give Fammy someone to learn from when it comes to playing that role as well as make him fight for the position. If we'd managed to get him we'd essentially have two quality strikers fighting for the starting position, instead we're currently relying on Fammy to do everything and he's too important to rest or drop should he struggle. 

I really like Fammy, I honestly do, but his first touch and ball control require some hefty work. He may be an all around player but the key things we need from a striker in this role is size, strength, control, finishing and the ability to score headers, Fammy has all of that but the control and that prevents a lot of our attacks from developing to the point where he can use the other abilities he has.

Oh and Tammy, Tammy goes without saying as we'd definitely be in with a shot of promotion with him. 

@Spike good post ⬆️

As for Tammy, did you watch the Sheffield Utd game on Friday (I watched most of it)?  Tammy was so isolated and I’m not sure he’d do the grunt work that Fam does for little personal benefit.

I only caught bits of yesterday on a stream, and perhaps that covered Fam’s best points but I thought he did well to balls knocked up to him, able to get lay-offs to forward moving players, like COD.  The “easy” header he missed from a corner, was under pressure and I wonder if the defender got a bit of a deflection on it.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Spike good post ⬆️

As for Tammy, did you watch the Sheffield Utd game on Friday (I watched most of it)?  Tammy was so isolated and I’m not sure he’d do the grunt work that Fam does for little personal benefit.

I only caught bits of yesterday on a stream, and perhaps that covered Fam’s best points but I thought he did well to balls knocked up to him, able to get lay-offs to forward moving players, like COD.  The “easy” header he missed from a corner, was under pressure and I wonder if the defender got a bit of a deflection on it.

Tammy's issue with Villa is he is isolated with next to no support, the same happened at Swansea but on a much larger scale, I don't think that'd be the case with us as we play it to Fammy and then come back, Villa are always trying to push forward which is why I think he gets so isolated. When we had Tammy here we had Tomlin supporting him in those situations and right now we have Palmer, Brownhill and Paterson all able to do that same role and with more consistency too.

I understand what you're saying but I honestly think Tammy would have a field day with this current set up, there is a lot more movement which he thrives off of and our passing game creates a lot of pockets for a striker like Tammy to run into. 

With regards to Fammy he's a 50/50 player when it comes to long passes, he backs into players well but his touch when doing so is the 50/50 part, sometimes he holds it well, other times it looks like the ball was made out of rubber and his boots are made out of lead. Also with regards to his heading, I've seen him miss a lot of opportunities when heading, Tammy is prolific in the air and would easily score some of the chances Fammy misses. 
I'm not saying Fammy is bad, just simply saying for a big, hold up striker he still needs a lot of work on key areas of his game to be considered a top Championship forward.

Some Blackburn fans rated Fam’s performance yesterday (from their forum; match day thread):

‘As an aside, that big unit who played up top for them is exactly the type of player we lack.  He could make the ball stick and was a nuisance all game. Looked £5mil well spent.’

And in reply: ‘100%. We said exactly that at the time. Looked good on the ball too.’

8 minutes ago, eardun said:

Some Blackburn fans rated Fam’s performance yesterday (from their forum; match day thread):

‘As an aside, that big unit who played up top for them is exactly the type of player we lack.  He could make the ball stick and was a nuisance all game. Looked £5mil well spent.’

And in reply: ‘100%. We said exactly that at the time. Looked good on the ball too.’

I agree that yesterday he was on the ball, but as I said he is 50/50, one game he has a blinder, the next he can't hold onto the ball at all. If I was defending against Fammy I would put a smaller, nippier player on him on the long balls, I know that sounds like madness because of his size and strength but honestly I've noticed players that run around him rather than trying to back into him force him to turn and face towards the goal, this cuts off his passing options and then he panics and is forced to run with the ball which is not his strong suit.

That's also why I think Assombalonga is a better fit, he can do what Fammy does but he can also turn and run at players which means he's harder to pin down.

10 minutes ago, eardun said:

Think Derby fans said the same.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Spike good post ⬆️

There was another free header where he thought he was a centre half and headed up and over ( schoolboy error)

However , well done Fammy you put yourself about for the cause and you notch often enough to keep your place . 

Fam is part of a record breaking first team and will continue to get my support. I believe he is still learning and improving. He will be immense in the Prem.

:yes:

Archived