IGNORED

Job for Mourinho? Chelsea need somebody new.

cityexile

2 hours ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Somebody new? Hasn't he managed there twice before?

Yep. Third time is the charm (I was being very tongue in cheek).

Winds me up really. Man Utd not the first to look a completely different team after changing the manager. Wish I could try at 50% until my manager was changed.

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sarri never shook hands with Pep.

And I would like to personally thank Man City, £155.06p better off after a 5 team accumulator.

Great day with England stuffing the French yellow vests as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised if journalists mention ‘the European way’ of doing things when they reflect on this game.

Apparently it’s deemed unsporting to beat a team by more than 4 on the continent, to the point where teams will actively down tools. I find the idea really strange given the emphasis on goal difference (which I assume is Europe wide).

I did wonder if Sarri thought Pep’s team were unsporting in their humiliation of Chelsea.

I'm looking in from the outside and on paper it looked a good job to get, but...

Think about it. Chelsea for much of the last 15 years but certainly for most of the players there have played a certain way. Drilled in- player power, culture. Yes there have been deviations either for phases of management or certain managers for certain times but overall they have been a fairly counter-punching side- in different ways for example Benitez mixed possession and discipline, Di Matteo tried to get them like Barcelona after his caretaker stint, and Conte's first season though often counterattacking was more attractive style in that sense than many that went before. Scolari for a time had the high fullbacks.

Personally I think they should have stuck with Benitez in 2013, let him build but it's quite an aging side now and yeah Sarri is making some tactical errors perhaps but they need quite a clearout- aging side, players used to a certain style of play and way the club is run...then you bring in someone who had Napoli playing the style they did. Not a good fit at all and they're at a crossroads now- they can either let him rebuild properly and accept it will take time...or they can do what they usually do under Abramovich and pander to player power or even worse, sack at the first sign of a difficult spell.

Because if Abramovich truly still wants what he originally did which is 'Barcelona in Blue', or something along those lines anyway then I'd say accept it takes time- you're talking about overturning give or take 15 years of a set way, of pretty similar tactical blueprints in one season!

There's a few of the required skill level and age profile to adapt quickly between two such models but most? Wouldn't say so.

8 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if journalists mention ‘the European way’ of doing things when they reflect on this game.

Apparently it’s deemed unsporting to beat a team by more than 4 on the continent, to the point where teams will actively down tools. I find the idea really strange given the emphasis on goal difference (which I assume is Europe wide).

I did wonder if Sarri thought Pep’s team were unsporting in their humiliation of Chelsea.

What is unsporting is incredibly highly paid players not giving anywhere near 100% and more than several of these cheats have already seen off the previous 2 managers so have a history of it and now well on their way to seeing off another.

8 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

Not sure it's a European thing, but it's definitely a thing in the US. In fact, I remember an article after the Burton game stating that Blue Manchester were disrespectful for daring to score 9 (and indeed attempting to make it 10).

As for goal difference, I can't speak for other European leagues, but in Spain it's done on head-to-head record first.

9 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

25 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure it's a European thing, but it's definitely a thing in the US. In fact, I remember an article after the Burton game stating that Blue Manchester were disrespectful for daring to score 9 (and indeed attempting to make it 10).

As for goal difference, I can't speak for other European leagues, but in Spain it's done on head-to-head record first.

Yes that is strange isn't it? I would understand it if they started doing tricks, flicks, nutmegs etc, but from what I have seen they just carry on playing the same way, they are absolutely relentless in their pursuit of excellence. Even at 4-0 Pep was on the touchline, pointing out changes and improvements, quite incredible really. 
Added to that is the fact that in pre-match interviews, Pep had said that none of the top 6 teams should be written off, so I am sure they saw this as an opportunity to put an end to Chelsea's outside chance of getting involved in the title race. 

It's a myth I think- did Pep's Barcelona not run up the score, or his Bayern for example? Especially his Barcelona though.

Are PSG reticent about thrashing sides?

Juventus don't often trash sides but Allegri for all his ability has a cautious streak- their football is improving by their year but Juventus fans consider that he could let them off the leash more. I'd say he's neither a tiki taka or a pragmatist, but a blend of 2 or 3 styles.

Archived