IGNORED

Sexism in football

daored

Just watched BT Sport, Premier League Tonight and a really interesting debate.

As part of their panel they had Rachel Brown-Finnis as a pundit. They had a discussion about female pundits / commentators.

It was mentioned the amount of abuse on social media female pundits such as Alex Scott receives.

Personally I prefer to have a pundit who gives insight into the game, make or female. As I type this I’m listening to Chris Sutton on 5Live surely any pundit is better male or female 

All this pc stuff annoys me, If a women is best places to comment on a football match then fair play to her, however, in my opinion she’s got that gig because she’s female, Sky are trying to hard. 

I was watching the cricket the other day and there was A female on their offering opinion and being very critical,  all i could think was when had there been a time when 4 West Indian bowlers come steaming in and tried to take your head off with a ball at 90mph. 

Agree on the above point though, there are some awful pundits, Sutton, lawrenson, Owen etc but that does not mean Scott can’t fall in to that bracket either..

No doubt i now get called a sexist pig blah blah blah.

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

All this pc stuff annoys me, If a women is best places to comment on a football match then fair play to her, however, in my opinion she’s got that gig because she’s female, Sky are trying to hard. 

I was watching the cricket the other day and there was A female on their offering opinion and being very critical,  all i could think was when had there been a time when 4 West Indian bowlers come steaming in and tried to take your head off with a ball at 90mph. 

Agree on the above point though, there are some awful pundits, Sutton, lawrenson, Owen etc but that does not mean Scott can’t fall in to that bracket either..

No doubt i now get called a sexist pig blah blah blah.

It's not PC though is it, it's giving people jobs based on their merits. Since when did people have to play a sport at a certain level to have an opinion? Do you have an opinion on city? Have you played professional football? Doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Cider red said:

It's not PC though is it, it's giving people jobs based on their merits. Since when did people have to play a sport at a certain level to have an opinion? Do you have an opinion on city? Have you played professional football? Doubt it.

No, and funnily enough im not on sky sports. 

Do you not think it’s PC then that there are now women pundits on every single sports programme, rugby, cricket, boxing, football.

I don’t find her particularly enlightening that’s all 

55 minutes ago, David Brent said:

If Danny Murphy, Martin Keown et al were female they’d still be criticised. A clown is a clown, no matter the gender.

Murphy is an excellent pundit. Keown however.............:facepalm:

Personally I still have difficulty in accepting female football pundits - essentially because they’ve not played the game at a decent level.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I still have difficulty in accepting female football pundits - essentially because they’ve played the game at a decent level.

But do you need to have played a decent level? If the person is articulate, knowledgeable and insightful, surely that’s enough and that doesn’t have to have come from playing at a high level.

14 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

But do you need to have played a decent level? If the person is articulate, knowledgeable and insightful, surely that’s enough and that doesn’t have to have come from playing at a high level.

I’ve never worked in the financial sector.

Regardless, I am articulate, knowledgeable and insightful.

Doubt SL will appoint me as a consultant, however. 

Gab Marcotti has never played at any level. Doesn't stop him being a very knowledgeable pundit.

Basically, it doesn't matter if you have played or not. You can still have a really good insight in to a sport. So it really doesn't matter if you are male/female, played/not played etc etc. If you are good enough you will make it.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Alex Scott was on with Paul Ince the other week.

One was lucid, well researched insightful and articulate.

The other was Paul Ince. 

I watched that.  She made him look silly and he had to resort to making a joke if it....he didn’t fool me though.

Danny Murphy, much as I liked him as a player, is condescending if any football fan who phones / texts into TS.  He’s a football snob, you can only have an opinion on the pro game if you’ve played the pro game (and at a certain level).

I like those pundits who give insight to the fan, not those that incite the fan.  The pundits sex doesn’t come into it.

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Gab Marcotti has never played at any level. Doesn't stop him being a very knowledgeable pundit.

Basically, it doesn't matter if you have played or not. You can still have a really good insight in to a sport. So it really doesn't matter if you are male/female, played/not played etc etc. If you are good enough you will make it.

Yep, and it might be harder to break through, and you might need to put more effort in...but if you want it, you can probably get there.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Robbie Savage anyone?:grr:

Actually think he does come up with some good stuff, but guilty of some crap too!

I quite like the fact that Motherwell has removed the word ‘ladies’ from the name of its team so both teams are simply Motherwell FC - makes sense...although the photo they used to accompany the press release looks like a band I saw at The Granary in the late seventies....

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/02/08/ladies-removed-from-motherwell-womens-team-name/

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watched that.  She made him look silly and he had to resort to making a joke if it....he didn’t fool me though.

Danny Murphy, much as I liked him as a player, is condescending if any football fan who phones / texts into TS.  He’s a football snob, you can only have an opinion on the pro game if you’ve played the pro game (and at a certain level).

I like those pundits who give insight to the fan, not those that incite the fan.  The pundits sex doesn’t come into it.

I don’t get the impression that Murphy is condescending. In fact I don’t get  that from any former players who are now a pundits.

To me Murphy describes what’s been happening very clearly and in simple terms that most fans can follow.

The one pundit who does irritate me is the one who  co commentates on the Sky Championship games. Can’t remember his name but he talks a load of shite.

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I still have difficulty in accepting female football pundits - essentially because they’ve not played the game at a decent level.

Surely they understand the pressure of competing for titles and international honours though?

Just because the size of the crowd might be more Hor-camp than Nou Camp and the money more akin to hyperinflation Lira than Premier League doesn't mean their view is any less qualified.

Most posters on here probably haven't played beyond school level, and we are all experts!

However she got the job in the first place, the comments and remarks she gets on social media are horrific, and would not happen if she was male. That is undeniable. 

I personally think she is a top pundit, it’s a shame that this is even being talked about and that some are so stuck in the past to be able to accept a woman expressing her professional opinion on football. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

However she got the job in the first place, the comments and remarks she gets on social media are horrific, and would not happen if she was male. That is undeniable. 

I personally think she is a top pundit, it’s a shame that this is even being talked about and that some are so stuck in the past to be able to accept a woman expressing her professional opinion on football. 

What is a shame is that anyone who criticises her is branded as a “sexist”. 

Whereas there’s plenty of criticism of male pundits.

Eauality only exists when the playing field is truly level. If people can back up their criticism with a reasoned rationale then they too are entitled to an opinion.

Fir what it’s worth I don’t think she’s too bad. She uses some daft language and makes some strange observations. But so too does Jamie Redknapp IMO.

3 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

What is a shame is that anyone who criticises her is branded as a “sexist”. 

Whereas there’s plenty of criticism of male pundits.

Eauality only exists when the playing field is truly level. If people can back up their criticism with a reasoned rationale then they too are entitled to an opinion.

Fir what it’s worth I don’t think she’s too bad. She uses some daft language and makes some strange observations. But so too does Jamie Redknapp IMO.

Really? A few weeks ago she got some words mixed up and people were going mad on Twitter, the reaction was considerably more than when a male commentator makes such mistake.

The fact of the matter is, if she does say something that people don’t agree with, the criticism of her seems to be proportionally larger, for doing exactly the same things as her male peers. I don’t see how that wouldn’t constitute sexism. 

So, in reality it’s not a level playing field at all!

I think most of the women pundits do a good job. I think they are there because they are knowledgeable and articulate enough to get their points across. There was a woman on Six Nations yesterday afternoon (itv) and she held her own very well. It shouldn't really be an issue who they are. 

I do wonder how long Twitter is going to last, it just seems a spite-fest as far as I can tell. 

48 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I see it this way - former footballers now pundits will have played for numerous different managers and will have been privy to all the positional and tactical discussions throughout their careers and carry that knowledge with them into pundentry.

Female pundits, regardless of their knowledge and understanding of the game simply don’t have that depth of experience.

13 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Really? A few weeks ago she got some words mixed up and people were going mad on Twitter, the reaction was considerably more than when a male commentator makes such mistake.

The fact of the matter is, if she does say something that people don’t agree with, the criticism of her seems to be proportionally larger, for doing exactly the same things as her male peers. I don’t see how that wouldn’t constitute sexism. 

So, in reality it’s not a level playing field at all!

I’m not on Twitter so can’t comment. 

Archived