IGNORED

Tired Teenagers?

Super

If there's good research showing this is better for learning then why not?

Teenagers tend to have a circadian rhythm that's weighted towards staying up late and waking up late, that's where the nonsense myth of lazy teenagers comes from.

Side benefit of spreading out traffic is fine by me.

They're getting stiffed by the older generations in just about every other way after all.

17 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Schools starting at 10am is a great idea. The traffic seems to die down when there are school holidays, hopefully them starting at 10 would mean quiet(er) roads between 8 and 9.

What about working parents?

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Super said:

I was on a bus to work last week and these two kids were chatting infront of me talking about their attendance levels

One said they couldn't miss anymore lessons as she would automatically fail her course because of poor attendance, when her friend asked why it was so bad she said she often didn't go to Monday lessons as she was too tired from the weekened ! I do wonder how these people will hold down any type of job 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I was on a bus to work last week and these two kids were chatting infront of me talking about their attendance levels

One said they couldn't miss anymore lessons as she would automatically fail her course because of poor attendance, when her friend asked why it was so bad she said she often didn't go to Monday lessons as she was too tired from the weekened ! I do wonder how these people will hold down any type of job 

It won't be a problem, they'll have a zero hours contract and be expected to work for free for a year anyway.  Of course your generation is hard as nails and walked to school uphill both ways.

Not that long back I remember seeing a documentary about this very issue.........Being a clinical bugger I was actually very surprised to see that it’s been scientifically proven that teenagers do have different sleep patterns to adults.

The government would not being debating this if there was no proven evidence that it would actually benefit teenagers.

I regularly see kids on bus stops and leaving for school well before 7am and wonder what time they have to be up in the morning to be ready that early. So if they are not starting until 10am I guess they will finish at 4/4.30 now which might make traffic quieter in the mornings but add to the end of the day traffic. Many schools now seem to finish by 3.30pm, if not earlier ( yes, ‘back in my day’ we were starting our last 50 minute lesson then!).

Also wasn’t the school day hours decided due to daylight. In some parts of the country they argued it wasn’t safe for children to be walking home in the dark. Well plenty are making their way to school in the dark now I think.

Just from memory something I found that didn't help was having practical PE lessons in first or second lesson, understand timetable wise not all ages can be at the end of the day but having a practical session at the start of the day caused me to usually zone out for the next lesson.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I regularly see kids on bus stops and leaving for school well before 7am and wonder what time they have to be up in the morning to be ready that early. So if they are not starting until 10am I guess they will finish at 4/4.30 now which might make traffic quieter in the mornings but add to the end of the day traffic. Many schools now seem to finish by 3.30pm, if not earlier ( yes, ‘back in my day’ we were starting our last 50 minute lesson then!).

Also wasn’t the school day hours decided due to daylight. In some parts of the country they argued it wasn’t safe for children to be walking home in the dark. Well plenty are making their way to school in the dark now I think.

Always loads of kids waiting for their bus anytime from just before 7am and onwards

Think it's awful that they are up at that time and expected to just switch on and crack on with it. 10am would be a problem with young kids, but I'd be happy for a trial to see if it works. Far too early for kids to be wandering the streets

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Not that long back I remember seeing a documentary about this very issue.........Being a clinical bugger I was actually very surprised to see that it’s been scientifically proven that teenagers do have different sleep patterns to adults.

The government would not being debating this if there was no proven evidence that it would actually benefit teenagers.

I'd never really thought about it until seeing this topic but at sixth form and my first couple of years at University I often started coursework as late as 10-11pm, working through until sometimes 2-3am in the morning. Then of course sleeping in until late morning! Seemed to work for me, so interesting to see where this research goes.

Exactly, regardless of the research there are idiots who will think it's people being 'soft' on kids. People tailor the context to fit their pre-defined perspective rather than the other way around.

It's not too dissimilar to these studies showing that a 4 day working week can be more productive. If the science suggests it then who are we to argue?

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Schools starting at 10am is a great idea. The traffic seems to die down when there are school holidays, hopefully them starting at 10 would mean quiet(er) roads between 8 and 9.

I don’t buy that, the rush hour would just change to a different time because the parents would all have to request to change their working hours to get their kids to school at a different time. 

Plus a later school start (in my opinion) would just mean the kids don’t go to bed as early as they don’t need to be up as early, and they still wouldn’t get any more actual hours of sleep! 

14 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I don’t buy that, the rush hour would just change to a different time because the parents would all have to request to change their working hours to get their kids to school at a different time. 

Plus a later school start (in my opinion) would just mean the kids don’t go to bed as early as they don’t need to be up as early, and they still wouldn’t get any more actual hours of sleep! 

Even if there were that many parents driving secondary school aged kids to school, surely not everyone who has to be in work by 9 is one of them?  Seems to me like anything that moves away from the 9am start time is a good thing.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

My teenage body clock has never switched off then, I still hate early starts.  I can remember starting work and an old boy telling me I’d get used to getting up early, well, that was over 40 years ago and I am not used to early starts yet.......

We’re all different I guess....

Ive always been a morning person. Goes back to school days, then early morning shift work at 7am start.....Even now I’m retired I’m up by 8am most mornings. 

I like to get whatever I need to do that day as early as possible and then chillax in the afternoons......

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Exactly, regardless of the research there are idiots who will think it's people being 'soft' on kids. People tailor the context to fit their pre-defined perspective rather than the other way around.

It's not too dissimilar to these studies showing that a 4 day working week can be more productive. If the science suggests it then who are we to argue?

I think it's Sweden where they are doing some trials

Adults are working 10am to 4pm. Phones handed in at the start of the day, whilst you're at work you concentrate on work, plus you get the added advantage of spending more quality family time. I actually floated it here, to see if we could trial it, but wouldn't work with our shift structure and people will be losing out whereas the office staff will cash in

Won't work across all businesses and industries but I think it's a wonderful idea. How many times do I get home at 1830, after dropping my 6 year old off for breakfast club at 0800 to find the kids shattered, the wife frazzled and the day over. It really is no way to live a life

Archived