IGNORED

The plan regarding promotion

EnderMB

I know this is wildly jumping the gun, but hear me out.

No Championship club would be stupid enough to state in January/February what their plans are for their upcoming Premier League season, but every time we go on a solid run and end up in the better half of the table I often wonder how the increased income and the release of FFP shackles will change our approach as a club, if we were to defy all odds and win promotion to the Premier League.

Initially, my belief was that Lansdown would take the opportunity with both hands by fully backing LJ in the transfer market, regardless of cost, but after seeing Fulham struggle despite building an expensive squad of established players and young talent I can't see many others wanting to follow that model without a guarantee of staying up.

Has Lansdown ever stated what the plans would be going forward if we were to achieve promotion? As a club, we always talk about getting to the Premier League, but never about what would change if we did. Would the academy still be pushed as heavily as it is now? Would we fast-track a move towards becoming Category 1? Would we use it as an opportunity to sell our crown jewels and build an established squad for this level?

I remember when we were in the playoff final, and Lansdown had said that he'd rushed out and bought GJ and his assistant tickets to the World Cup, and that their first job on promotion was to scout for players.

I imagine there's no real answer to this thread, so was wondering if it's ever been discussed by the club at all, or whether you've got your own ideas of what the club would do.

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

No Championship club would be stupid enough to state in January/February what their plans are for their upcoming Premier League season, but every time we go on a solid run and end up in the better half of the table I often wonder how the increased income and the release of FFP shackles will change our approach as a club, if we were to defy all odds and win promotion to the Premier League.

Initially, my belief was that Lansdown would take the opportunity with both hands by fully backing LJ in the transfer market, regardless of cost, but after seeing Fulham struggle despite building an expensive squad of established players and young talent I can't see many others wanting to follow that model without a guarantee of staying up.

Has Lansdown ever stated what the plans would be going forward if we were to achieve promotion? As a club, we always talk about getting to the Premier League, but never about what would change if we did. Would the academy still be pushed as heavily as it is now? Would we fast-track a move towards becoming Category 1? Would we use it as an opportunity to sell our crown jewels and build an established squad for this level?

I remember when we were in the playoff final, and Lansdown had said that he'd rushed out and bought GJ and his assistant tickets to the World Cup, and that their first job on promotion was to scout for players.

I imagine there's no real answer to this thread, so was wondering if it's ever been discussed by the club at all, or whether you've got your own ideas of what the club would do.

In light of that I would think the very last thing SL will now do is get ahead of himself and start telling all and sundry what we are going to do when we get to the prem.

Another thread is talking about the spirit and togetherness of the squad and that we looked at a number of players on January, but the decision was made that they would not be the right "fit". I reckon the strategy that has got us here i the first place is the right one to carry forward. As you say, expensive " premier league quality" purchases don't seem to have helped Fulham, so perhaps our player strategy might be abetter way to go.

I would hope that everyone at the club is focussed on the upcoming games and not the summer and thereafter, although I also suspect that the the of players we have been looking for some time now will include players of higher quality than might have been the case in the past, e.g. Assombalonga. If so, and if promotion becomes a reality it would not so much of a change in strategy to bring in better players.

5 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I very much doubt that we would change the methods that had got us to the Prem.

I believe that we sign players with an eye on their capacity to make it at the highest level , with or without us, so would probably just add one or two quality players to supplement the squad . 

With Steady Steve Lansdown at the tiller it’s never going to be SOB for us . 

I think- well hope- it maybe something like this.

We continue the youth policy and the current methods but with higher quality- however not running before we can walk as per Fulham. Far too many changes too soon, I thought we had instability last summer and upheaval, they brought a whole new team plus some reserves! Will probably take them a season to get properly gelled and acquainted, problem is it'll be in the division below. Cardiff and Wolves OTOH have changed more incrementally, albeit Wolves had a PL squad in many ways last season, and Cardiff probably budgeted for coming back down in any case- as they still might.

However if we get a real mad bid for a youth prospect then provided we can re-invest it all or the bulk, yeah we may have to sell. I look at some player trading at clubs in Europe and there are some good examples there. Important we don't do a Fulham though, they went in a leap from Championship to some CL players and little in between such as solid PL players, looking to retain plenty from last season etc (admittedly several lonaees they couldn't or didn't retain- another possible question mark).

Bournemouth another good model to look at- we could be like Bournemouth Plus given our extra revenue from other streams.

Regarding signings I'm sure the brief would be to continue to buy players with potential to increase their value.

I'd also imagine we'd keep keep a fairly tight wage structure at least until we know if Prem survival is likely.

The idea would probably be to add more hungry players to those already incumbent, on a budget that could withstand relegation back to the Champ. So in effect we've used the experience to strengthen our squad and financial stability. 

Just how I imagine it.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think- well hope- it maybe something like this.

We continue the youth policy and the current methods but with higher quality- however not running before we can walk as per Fulham. Far too many changes too soon, I thought we had instability last summer and upheaval, they brought a whole new team plus some reserves! Will probably take them a season to get properly gelled and acquainted, problem is it'll be in the division below. Cardiff and Wolves OTOH have changed more incrementally, albeit Wolves had a PL squad in many ways last season, and Cardiff probably budgeted for coming back down in any case- as they still might.

However if we get a real mad bid for a youth prospect then provided we can re-invest it all or the bulk, yeah we may have to sell. I look at some player trading at clubs in Europe and there are some good examples there. Important we don't do a Fulham though, they went in a leap from Championship to some CL players and little in between such as solid PL players, looking to retain plenty from last season etc (admittedly several lonaees they couldn't or didn't retain- another possible question mark).

Bournemouth another good model to look at- we could be like Bournemouth Plus given our extra revenue from other streams.

Except, of course, miles bigger!

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

You had me at -

wildly jumping the gun

I would hope and expect that a plan of action is already in place for the time when we do make it happen. Contracts already will have promotion clauses (and relegation) that will determine the wages levels we will be working with.

The actual personnel could not be even pencilled in yet. However a database of those who the club (LJ/MA/SL and probably including Chief Scout if we have one) believe would be suitable to fit in must be an ongoing project whether we go up or not.

But if it happens via play offs, it will leave less time for action. I suspect that it may already be agreed that we don't bring in too many as this could, and probably would, break the team spirit that will be within the current squad.

I would think we have a plan/strategy for both staying in this division and also promotion 

The sooner the club know which one it will be the quicker they can implement. That will cover players staying/leaving as well as transfer targets v budget

I am sure the club will follow the same path as they have done over the last 3 years and keep developing young talent through the academy, signing the best young talent in this country with the odd Prem loan/purchase 

It just means if we do get promoted we would be fishing in a different pond for players albeit it means we are more likely to retain the likes of O’dowda, Brownhill, Semenyo, Kelly et al

20 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I would think we have a plan/strategy for both staying in this division and also promotion 

The sooner the club know which one it will be the quicker they can implement. That will cover players staying/leaving as well as transfer targets v budget

I am sure the club will follow the same path as they have done over the last 3 years and keep developing young talent through the academy, signing the best young talent in this country with the odd Prem loan/purchase 

It just means if we do get promoted we would be fishing in a different pond for players albeit it means we are more likely to retain the likes of O’dowda, Brownhill, Semenyo, Kelly et al

Is that you Mark ?

:robbored:

10 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

be careful what we wish for. If SL sees us promoted he will for the first time have a chance to get his money back by selling the football club.

so would you like Arab, Chinese, Malaysian or Russian owners?

can't wait to get there but we might not like our ethics soon after

I would love a Jordanian investor (preferably a rich family) they are supposed to be great !

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I would hope and expect that a plan of action is already in place for the time when we do make it happen. Contracts already will have promotion clauses (and relegation) that will determine the wages levels we will be working with.

The actual personnel could not be even pencilled in yet. However a database of those who the club (LJ/MA/SL and probably including Chief Scout if we have one) believe would be suitable to fit in must be an ongoing project whether we go up or not.

But if it happens via play offs, it will leave less time for action. I suspect that it may already be agreed that we don't bring in too many as this could, and probably would, break the team spirit that will be within the current squad.

Can you remember how many we brought in ,in the summer of 76 ?

(the answer is............less than ONE)

38 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

be careful what we wish for. If SL sees us promoted he will for the first time have a chance to get his money back by selling the football club.

so would you like Arab, Chinese, Malaysian or Russian owners?

can't wait to get there but we might not like our ethics soon after

So whens he getting rid of the rugby club???

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Plan A,B,C sign kallas! 

With regard to Kalas, if we were to go up i am certain we would sign him...........but if we don't, is there anyway we could afford the fee and wages, as it would be such a shame to break up the best 2 best central defenders City have had in very very longtime.

I remember SL saying before the 2008 playoffs that if we got to the premier league any money from being there would be invested in the team as he didn’t need it.....but that was over 10 years ago and a lot has changed so don’t expect the same statement of intent if we make the playoffs this time, you never know though as he is certainly worth a lot more now

3 minutes ago, Highburnred said:

I remember SL saying before the 2008 playoffs that if we got to the premier league any money from being there would be invested in the team as he didn’t need it.....but that was over 10 years ago and a lot has changed so don’t expect the same statement of intent if we make the playoffs this time, you never know though as he is certainly worth a lot more know

I very much doubt he needs to take money out of the club if we did get promoted and were handed hundreds of millions on a plate

He has invested what is comparative pin money into both City and the Bears as well as the Basketball and Womens football teams. The man is a billionaire and getting richer by the day. He wants to build a sporting legacy for his home City and his dream is for all of them to be succesful at the highest level for the joy of sporting fans in the region 

I remembers speaking to Steve many years ago after getting promoted and doing badly the next season. The year we bought Thorpe, Akinbiyi and Anderson I think.  He felt that we spent too much and changed too much and that the existing team with a few less additions might have done better. I think Scott Davidson was Chairman at the time. That might give a clue as to how he thinks, though he may view things differently now that he is a billionnaire and doesn't have to worry about HMRC.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Can you remember how many we brought in ,in the summer of 76 ?

(the answer is............less than ONE)

Correct. We didn't get anyone in until Hunter and Cormack in October (?) and Chris arrived a bit later after he had played against us for Leicester at Ashton Gate.

So three additions were enough to keep us up then. How many would it need now?

Archived