IGNORED

Memories of a junior reds trip 1986

Oh Louie louie

1 minute ago, chowie said:

Ahh thanks, I can only remember Ruth and that Scott helping out. My memory is rubbish, it needs people to prompt it for me nowadays.

To be fair, there were a core of about 8-10 people who really put a lot of hours into it, and not just on match days. Purely voluntary as well. In addition to those mentioned you might remember Joe and Jean Reeves, Carol and Stuart Leslie, Kate Masters, Lynn Pike and Terry Godfrey. 

One of the nice touches that the club have done over the last few years is the wall opposite the Wedlock’s in the concourse and the names are on there. Means a lot to a lot of people who put a lot of time in, and in some cases are no longer with us

2 hours ago, stoke giiford red said:

My only junior red trip was a visit to Wembley to watch England v Cameroon. It was in the winter after the 1990 world cup. I remember being amazed at the size of the old stadium! But gutted that Roger Miller didn't play as he was on strike due to the amount of money he was being paid by Cameroon!

Yeah, the coach got stuck in traffic and we missed the first goal! I think Lineker scored twice?

I had the privilege of Beryl asking me to help set up the Junior Reds.

The first meeting involved just a few of us in the cramped office in the main stand. I turned up with a broken leg from a football match that month (July). Terry Cooper asked me if it was the tib or fib! For those that don't know, it was Terry's idea that the Junior Reds should be formed.

There was another couple my age (I was early mid 20s then) who always helped out. I can't remember their names. Ruth was always on hand. She was a fantastic, bubbly and loyal fan. 

I once asked Beryl whatever happened to Ruth. She told me she had moved to Southampton area.

Those two did a heck of a lot of work behind the scenes and no doubt for little money. 

I was with Junior Reds for only a couple of seasons (I was their steward in the Dolman along with a blond, curly haired lad called Chris). I remember getting a load of stick from adults when Millwall ran amock in the stand. They expected me to take them on!

I was the main steward on coach two for our Junior Red trip to Wembley and then onto Brentford for our game. Beryl had to use her skills so we could be allowed into their main stand. You didn't argue with Beryl!

I look back at those times and wonder if I had made the right decision not to stay with the Junior Reds. I had a chance to play football in a Saturday morning league so I went for that instead. A wise move? I was spotted by a league scout for Manchester United who promptly signed me up. I then was sold to Inter Milan for several million and I'm now writing this text from my beach hut in Malibu....I think that's what happened or at least should have!

6 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Chris was known as biggsie if i got the right kid? hanged around with a kid from up the chessels.

He was a few years younger than me. I must have been 24 when I started. He was slightly smaller than me (five ft eight and a very important half) and slim.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Banks :)

Johns on here - @generation1

The wife was (is) called Claire.

My memory isn’t fantastic they just happen to be my parents....

Thanks, I'm just glad you remember the name!!! I'm pretty sure you would have played in the same team as me then, I can't remember many people sort from a lad Damion who was our goalkeeper and someone called Neil! And if memory serves me correctly there was an indoor game at Port Vale which got a little bit heated!

Archived