IGNORED

Gordon Banks RIP

BobBobSuperBob

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

legend RIP

Sad Sad news

Very sad to hear this

If one of my boys make a save in the garden I usually exclaim “safe as the banks of England”. 

Also came across as a genuinely nice guy.

A true World Cup winner and legend of English football.

The save he made from Pele is probably the best save I've ever seen but I remember a stunning last minute penalty save he made for Stoke from Geoff Hurst against West Ham. Hurst hit it like a bullet but Banks made an incredible instinctive save. That game was played in black and white iirc - at least it was in my house.

I was 11 when England won the World Cup, and it ignited in me a passion for football that had only really smouldered up until that point. As others have said, the word legend is overused, but that team fully deserve that status. I can unhesitatingly name the entire side (and the clubs they played for) as if I was reciting my 10 times table. As for Gordon Banks, he was the keeper everybody wanted to be in our playground kickabouts.  I have a framed photo of 'that' save, signed by both Banks and Pele. It's one of my most treasured possessions. RIP.

58 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The save he made from Pele is probably the best save I've ever seen but I remember a stunning last minute penalty save he made for Stoke from Geoff Hurst against West Ham. Hurst hit it like a bullet but Banks made an incredible instinctive save. That game was played in black and white iirc - at least it was in my house.

Archived