IGNORED

Gordon Banks RIP

BobBobSuperBob

18 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

1970 was the first World Cup that I remember as a 7 year old, THAT save will never be forgotten against an unbelievable Brazil team. RIP Mr Banks, true gent, true footballing great.

No doubt in my mind if he had been fit for the QF against West Germany we would not have lost from 2-0 up, and would have been favouriates to get to the final again.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I notice other clubs have been announcing that there will be a minutes applause before kick off this evening, would assume that we will also be announcing this shortly

47390869_2346520545375483_48301187178430

EFL
5 mins ·

There will be a period of applause ahead of all EFL fixtures from Tuesday 12 February until Sunday 17 February, in celebration of the life of Gordon Banks OBE.

20 minutes ago, reddoh said:

As a one and half year old I missed England's (not war) finest 120 minuets 

Did see the 1970 save on TV (not sure if it was live)

Gordon RIP

and condolences to family and friends of his. 

Ditto.

I have still got an ESSO collectible coin of Banksy from 1970.

What a talent he was.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ditto.

I have still got an ESSO collectible coin of Banksy from 1970.

What a talent he was.

I think my brother may have the complete set from 1970 or I may have put it somewhere safe but I will need another set to put safe to find the first.

Wow - shocked by this. I’m currently overseas and wondered why a Russian news channel was showing random clips of Gordon Banks. At the same time, it highlights the effect he had on football when you consider it’s making the news over here. RIP to a true England legend. 

So sad to hear the news, England's greatest goalkeeper, my boyhood hero. Saw him play once for Stoke against Rovers at Eastville, think it was in the league cup 71 or 72. He made one great save to put the ball over the bar. From where I was he seemed be level with the bar. Great player, great bloke, thanks for all the memories Gordon RIP. 

My Dad and I won an all expenses paid trip to the 1970 World Cup, including tickets for the England games in Guadalajara. We were sitting behind the goal for "the save" - I remember everyone in front of us rising to celebrate a goal and then the momentary confusion until we figured out what had happened. We were staying in the same hotel as the England squad - that was back in the day before teams were sequestered in high-security retreats. It was not uncommon to step into the elevator and rub shoulders with members of the squad, so my autograph book was always at the ready. The day after the Brazil game I spotted Bansky in the lobby and asked him to sign a picture of his save in the local newspaper. I still have that clipping. I imagine it's probably unique.

3 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

My Dad and I won an all expenses paid trip to the 1970 World Cup, including tickets for the England games in Guadalajara. We were sitting behind the goal for "the save" - I remember everyone in front of us rising to celebrate a goal and then the momentary confusion until we figured out what had happened. We were staying in the same hotel as the England squad - that was back in the day before teams were sequestered in high-security retreats. It was not uncommon to step into the elevator and rub shoulders with members of the squad, so my autograph book was always at the ready. The day after the Brazil game I spotted Bansky in the lobby and asked him to sign a picture of his save in the local newspaper. I still have that clipping. I imagine it's probably unique.

Lovely story ...what being a fan is all about. Good for you mate.

I also met Gordon myself in Bristol in 2012, it was at the Aztec Hotel where he was attending an event. He agreed to do a piece to camera for me, for the Gerry Gow Testimonial dinner that I was arranging for Gerry,  although he never played against Gerry he knew of Gerry's reputation as a hard man and with a grin on his face looking into the Camera he said he was pleased he never played against him. It meant a lot to Gerry to hear his comment. Thanks again Gordon, rest in peace, you really are a legend.

• Admin

Jimmy Greenhoff is pushing for Banks to be knighted posthumously, apparently he wasn't awarded it when alive due to an administration error 

The petition needs signatures to get it raised in Parliament 

https://www.change.org/p/the-honours-committee-of-the-cabinet-office-of-the-uk-government-we-call-for-a-change-in-the-law-to-allow-a-posthumous-knighthood-for-gordon-banks-obe

Archived