IGNORED

Matt Smith

bcfcredandwhite

5 hours ago, pillred said:

It started off as panto style booing, then there were a few cheers, but he took the p**s by taking too long to go off, slightly tarnished the memory for me but he plays for somebody else now so suppose it's to be expected.

Yes nobody ever does that when they are winning.......

44 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Only if you don’t bother to consider people may appreciate a former loanee who played like he was a full squad member, and then came back to cheer them on after he left!

Don't waste your time mate.

9 hours ago, Nathandao said:

He wasn't being boo'd for anything to do with his relationship with us. Just because he strolled off the pitch at a snails pace, you get what you deserve for time-wasting. Booing they can take but dont think a penalty decision in the 93rd minute went down too well. ?

Not sure that’s quite right, the boos started when his number got read out, then he started strolling off and if anything got more claps then and the boo’s died out

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

But weird for me Smith gets clapped by Freeman booed. Freeman was class for us and won the league ... 

I think for some people, it was the manner in which Freeman left us that still rankles.

Me. I clapped both, for the contribution they made when here for us.

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Not sure that’s quite right, the boos started when his number got read out, then he started strolling off and if anything got more claps then and the boo’s died out

Strange lot some of our fans. Smith did a great job for us at the time.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Big lump who can head the ball. Zero pace, zero skill. Glad he's not our player.

Yet he was the best striker on the pitch. Clear what his strength is and what he lacks, Gave our defenders lots of problems much more than most strikers this season.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He won a few headers and scored a goal so yeah was decent. Not good enough for how we want to play and where we want to be.

i'm not saying get him back but he deserves a bit more credit than you rubbishing him.

15 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

... was an absolute pest tonight - if QPR had kept him on things may have ended differently. 

Did anyone else notice that he didn’t appear to celebrate his goal? 

Loved him during his time at AG and always the professional. 

A bit disappointing to hear him boo’d when he was subbed. 

Yes I noticed that, didnt want to celebrate 

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Matt Smith - average at this level. Maybe even poor. He won a few headers...wow! Scored a goal that my toddler could score.

Cos he is likeable a lot of people rate him higher than he deserves 

Sounds like Djuric…… I thought he did well last night gave 2 quality defenders a rough night so certainly did his job. All about opinions.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Matt Smith - average at this level. Maybe even poor. He won a few headers...wow! Scored a goal that my toddler could score.

Was a relief when he was taken off. He had a couple of headers before he scored that we didn't deal with very well, and it seemed that he headed away all our corners. Shteeve was a berk to take him off.

40 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Was a relief when he was taken off. He had a couple of headers before he scored that we didn't deal with very well, and it seemed that he headed away all our corners. Shteeve was a berk to take him off.

McClaren took Smith off to shut up shop and with hindsight it was the wrong decision but hey! who  cares?     :dunno:

With big battling CFs like Smith it becomes a swings and roundabouts  scenario. He’ll offer defensive benefits and a give more of a presence up top but a big CF can encourage his team to adopt a ‘lump it’ attitude as we’ve seen many times at AG. ....in fact LJ took Djuric off in one away game because of that.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

If that’s true then it’s strange that an ‘average or poor’ player caused us more problems in the time he was on the pitch yesterday than anyone has for the past 8 games - that speaks volumes about the quality of the opposition we have faced in between!

its the third goal we have conceded since December I think (without research) and he penetrated our very strong defence several times. Opposition managers will be taking note - let’s hope LJ is too.......

For me, play Smith in our 4141 system and you’ll be frustrated because he’ll win flick-ons....but no runners to feed them.  For QPRs system to work - Smith needs Wells.  We don’t play that way.

Its fine to compare their (Smith v Diedhiou) merits, but need to be cognisant that they are being asked to play a different system.

If we tried to play Djúric in the current 4141 I don’t believe it would be effective at all.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If we tried to play Djúric in the current 4141 I don’t believe it would be effective at all.

What I will say is, Djuric's hold up play was excellent , and in that respect he would have added something. But he also had mobility closer to an anvil rather than a footballer. I really liked Djuric and would have been happy for him to stay. That said I don't think Fam is as bad as some make him out to be, I look forward to him having a run with Palmer in the team to see how it works. Having someone who looks to play forward , rather than go in circles will be interesting.

FWIW , I thought Paterson had an ok game and the  control and pass for Eliasson's goal was top class.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, play Smith in our 4141 system and you’ll be frustrated because he’ll win flick-ons....but no runners to feed them.  For QPRs system to work - Smith needs Wells.  We don’t play that way.

Its fine to compare their (Smith v Diedhiou) merits, but need to be cognisant that they are being asked to play a different system.

Think smith would love playing for us , we put so many balls in the box he’d have a field day.

The Wardrobe is (and always has been) a hard grafting, third-tier striker. He was perfunctory if nothing special for us save, for the few of us there and in a Gus Caeser at Selhurst way, that wonderful, wonderful night at Priestfield when he was, for 90 minutes, the greatest centre forward on the planet. Left foot, right foot, header, screamer -everything he touched turned to solid gold. 

And by the Saturday he'd returned to solid oak. A footballer massaged not so much in wintergreen, rather Cuprinol.

20 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The Wardrobe is (and always has been) a hard grafting, third-tier striker. He was perfunctory if nothing special for us save, for the few of us there and in a Gus Caeser at Selhurst way, that wonderful, wonderful night at Priestfield when he was, for 90 minutes, the greatest centre forward on the planet. Left foot, right foot, header, screamer -everything he touched turned to solid gold. 

And by the Saturday he'd returned to solid oak. A footballer massaged not so much in wintergreen, rather Cuprinol.

Doesnt he score goals in the championship?

Archived