IGNORED

Diedhiou

BCFC Rich

Great nerves to take the penalty today, especially after the wait and the QPR players antics. Always hardworking and vital for our current system. I always feel he gets more stick than he deserves for his control he's often having to move a long way to get on the end of passes and take them at pace with a CB up his backside. 

But the main point of this thread is that's now 9 league goals and 1 assist which means he has been directly involved in 1/4 of all our league goals! I think underlines how important he is to us. 

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

He's as cool as you like

The only reason people who understand football criticise him (all strikers costing just £5m these days have some limitations) is these critics have run out of players to complain about in this current squad. Simple as that. 

Again another dig at people from you about so called critics, it’s pathetic. 

It took great nerves for the penalty yes and fair play to him. 

His overall performance however imo was shocking . Hold up play and movement first half non existent ( although no one played well) 

hold up play second half only slightly better and with the quality of cross coming in from elliasson he never seems to get across his centre half . He works hard but that should be a minimum requirement .missed a sitter as well. I expect more for £5m to be honest. 

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

He's as cool as you like

The only reason people who understand football criticise him (all strikers costing just £5m these days have some limitations) is these critics have run out of players to complain about in this current squad. Simple as that. 

He took the penalty very well and kept his cool.

On the negative side, and this is a major issue, his touch and control is, in the main, appalling and really needs working on.

Secondly, as a striker he needs to learn to ‘ attack’ the ball when crosses come in, he is usually static and the coaching team need to work on that too.

6 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Great nerves to take the penalty today, especially after the wait and the QPR players antics. Always hardworking and vital for our current system. I always feel he gets more stick than he deserves for his control he's often having to move a long way to get on the end of passes and take them at pace with a CB up his backside. 

But the main point of this thread is that's now 9 league goals and 1 assist which means he has been directly involved in 1/4 of all our league goals! I think underlines how important he is to us. 

Was very calm for the penalty, I thought Taylor would take it after slotting home our last one (always thought you keep the spot until you miss one). 

Diedhiou is a jack of all trades as a forward which probably suits us atm. He is not the best at holding the ball up, in the air, getting onto crosses, etc but he does all of it decent enough that matches our play style. We as a team don't score man ( for us to be in the position we are with a forward on 9 goals is surprising) like Boro , our defence has just been outstanding; if you are hard to score against you always have a chance. My only concern is if we are in the playoffs whether that lack of goals might bite us in the arse. 

Hes also playing almost 90 minutes every game, hopefully he will be rested against Wolves, but we have to be careful we don;t run him into the ground due our lack of options. 

Championship_Table_-_Football_-_BBC_Sport_-_2019-02-13_08.28.57.png

I like Diedhiou but we need an improvement in the summer. A great penalty yes but he get's himself in to some great positions and either his touch lets him down or a poor finish. The header last night should have been put either side of the keeper. It didn't matter in the end but had it finished 1-0 to QPR it's chances like that which will cost us a top 6 place. 

Just nervous that when we need him to step up when defence ships some goals in the run in or playoffs, he’s gonna be found wanting, and hasn’t any competition for his spot.

Really hope he can step up when needed, but I’m not convinced. Just doesn’t look to have a true instinct of a striker imo. There was a case last night when in the first half, he laid the ball off and should have been anticipating a return cross into the box. That ball came, but he was still five or six feet off connecting.

4 minutes ago, Negan said:

I like Diedhiou but we need an improvement in the summer. A great penalty yes but he get's himself in to some great positions and either his touch lets him down or a poor finish. The header last night should have been put either side of the keeper. It didn't matter in the end but had it finished 1-0 to QPR it's chances like that which will cost us a top 6 place. 

Hopefully Eisa or one of our youngsters will come through next season

I think we all know that the ball can tend to bounce off him at times. However, my main criticism is that he needs to be a bit more cute when he is challenged from behind and in particular in the air. He is sometimes a bit too honest and defenders would think twice about a challenge from behind / to the side if he felt the contact and went down now and again. I'm not saying he should cheat but give his marker more to think about. 

All in all though we are a far better team with him in it and I feel he will continue to improve. COYR.

Last night epitomised Diedhiou in 90 mins. Awful first half and superb second half. Missed an easy chance but then showed nerves of steel with penalty.

When he is good he is brilliant and when he is bad he is frustrating and play breaks down with him involved.

Whene he has the ball he gives it away 45% of the time but then is also good enough to occupy two defenders on his own easily 

I hope we get genuine competition for him in the summer.  

I thought he was outstanding in the second half. He was getting into some great positions for Eliasson. Yes he probably should have scored, but his hold up play was good second half and there were a couple of decent bits of skill too.

He is an odd player. Sometimes his touch and decision making is comically bad but do genuinely believe he offers so much to the team. And that penalty was incredible. The nerves to do that, knowing the stick he would have got if he had missed it, was just so impressive. If he’d have missed, it felt like one of those moments which might have turned things against us (like Fielding’s sending off last year). As it was, thought the atmosphere and togetherness as good as anything - bar Man Utd - under Johnson’s tenure.

I thought it was so obvious he was going to blast it over the cross bar and out of the ground that I didn't even want to watch the pen. There are not enough caps in the world to doff to him. Fair play that man, must have balls of iron. 

On the wider point - he's not the greatest striker we've ever had, but there's something I really like about him. An unpolished diamond with lots of jagged edges but occasional flashes of brilliance. The criticism he's received from some people feels unjustified given his stats and commitment. 

35 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I thought it was so obvious he was going to blast it over the cross bar and out of the ground that I didn't even want to watch the pen. There are not enough caps in the world to doff to him. Fair play that man, must have balls of iron. 

On the wider point - he's not the greatest striker we've ever had, but there's something I really like about him. An unpolished diamond with lots of jagged edges but occasional flashes of brilliance. The criticism he's received from some people feels unjustified given his stats and commitment. 

Really? Its a forum, people are allowed to express their opinions, as long as they are respectful, no player is going to rate 10/10 every game with every fan.

In my opinion he does deserve a fair bit of the criticism......or does he? Maybe that should be directed at the club as it is the one position that we really don't have the correct type of cover for. 

Playing the way we do we need a 'like for like' replacement when required and that does not exist in the current squad.

And maybe the coaching staff deserve some criticism for apparently not working on the two key weaknesses in his game, both of which are fundamental and would not be expected of a striker at the top end of this league. 

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Was very calm for the penalty, I thought Taylor would take it after slotting home our last one (always thought you keep the spot until you miss one). 

Diedhiou is a jack of all trades as a forward which probably suits us atm. He is not the best at holding the ball up, in the air, getting onto crosses, etc but he does all of it decent enough that matches our play style. We as a team don't score man ( for us to be in the position we are with a forward on 9 goals is surprising) like Boro , our defence has just been outstanding; if you are hard to score against you always have a chance. My only concern is if we are in the playoffs whether that lack of goals might bite us in the arse. 

Hes also playing almost 90 minutes every game, hopefully he will be rested against Wolves, but we have to be careful we don;t run him into the ground due our lack of options. 

Championship_Table_-_Football_-_BBC_Sport_-_2019-02-13_08.28.57.png

We need Norwich and West Brom to go up automatically. They score bundles and I'd be worried playing either of them twice. I'd choose Boro in the POs, but it'd be one of those 1 goal over 2 ties sort of thing. 

Anyway, getting ahead of ourselves...

37 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Really? Its a forum, people are allowed to express their opinions, as long as they are respectful, no player is going to rate 10/10 every game with every fan.

In my opinion he does deserve a fair bit of the criticism......or does he? Maybe that should be directed at the club as it is the one position that we really don't have the correct type of cover for. 

Playing the way we do we need a 'like for like' replacement when required and that does not exist in the current squad.

And maybe the coaching staff deserve some criticism for apparently not working on the two key weaknesses in his game, both of which are fundamental and would not be expected of a striker at the top end of this league. 

I don't mean the criticism he's received here, rather the criticism he's received down the match - i.e. when he was booed off earlier in the season. 

I fully agree that this is the correct platform to vent views and I have no issue with that!

Do we need another striker? hell yes. That's not his fault. As you say, that's the club's doing, and I think for some reason frustrations with that have been (unfairly) directed towards him. It's not his doing that we're short-staffed in the striking department. 

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Haha, bloke stood next to me said exactly the same thing and couldn't watch.  Most around me didn't fancy him to score.

For some strange reason I was confident he was going to score. Just thought of the one he bent into the top corner at WBA.

Would be interesting to here some thoughts of the center backs he comes up against, I reckon a lot would consider more of a handful than a lot on here.

Fammy is a mindf*** for me, I know he's a passionate player, I know he does his best, I know he cares and I love him for that, but I never know which Fammy is going to turn up, the one with the boots made of rubber and a head made of stone or the one with silky touch and can guide the ball in with ease using his head.
If Fammy was consistently as good as he's shown he can be he'd be a hell of a player for us, I just think it's a 50/50 flip of the coin on whether he's going to be on it or not.

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

He took the penalty very well and kept his cool.

On the negative side, and this is a major issue, his touch and control is, in the main, appalling and really needs working on.

Secondly, as a striker he needs to learn to ‘ attack’ the ball when crosses come in, he is usually static and the coaching team need to work on that too.

Agreed, his touch is like a trampoline 

11 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Agreed, his touch is like a trampoline 

In his defense (and not sure if posted already), were he able to control a ball, he would not have been lunging for it after trying to bring it down, and thus we might not have won the penalty.

Every cloud, and all that.

I can see why people don't rate him, because his work up front is entirely different to the kind of player that Reid, Abraham, and Kodjia have been for us.

It's a shift in the kind of stuff we've done in the attacking third for the past few years, but it looks like it's bearing fruit, and with the options we've got up front we can mix it up for the first time in many years, at least since our last relegation.

I've been guilty of not seeing his value, purely because he's not the only person banging in goals, but he's essential to the way we play. He's a facilitator, and in a good side he's a good player.

I really like him as a player and he fits the system perfectly. Also does his job defensively from corners. I feel the only people who criticise him now doesn’t understand his role in our team. He brings players in to play and helps us get on the front foot and he’s also our only striker who can regularly score goals

One thing we need to see more of from Fam is offering himself for the 20 yard ball into feet from Pack/Brownhill/Webster etc. Even if he takes a touch and gives it straight back, it moves the defenders around and can create space for our more mobile attacking players. 

I appreciate that with his variable first touch, he's probably not that confident. But this is something that should be practiced over and over on the training ground.

There were times last night, especially first half, where I think we needed him to get in front of the defender and receive it into feet. 

Regarding the criticism and the response of 'well just look at his stats'. The majority IMO, including myself, are more than happy with his stats and overall contribution. The frustration comes from what more he could offer with simple tweaks to his game that are more than coach-able. I've made a few posts this season about these simple improvements and one week I think he's cracked it and the next he's back to square one. 

Archived