IGNORED

O'Dowda's reaction...

Hartleysbeard

51 minutes ago, lambo said:

I was way up in the Dolman last night and didn't have clue whether it was a pen or not. Made this gif and I'm still undecided after watching it 50 times.

fampenalty.gif

Without doubt the defender is holding Famara back. Rare to see those given but probably just about a penalty. Nonetheless that is a hilariously unnatural collapse to the turf. On first watch I thought Fammy was doing a flying kick...

48 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Good work on the gif.

For me, it's a penalty. There's a difference between using your body to shield the ball, and what this defender is doing - which is using his outstretched arms to hold Famara from getting through.

The more I see it the more it looks like a move from WWF,or whatever they call it now.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ll be terrified just to get in the play offs . Whats our record. Five play offs , two semi final defeats and three final defeats. Not great is it. Although it has to change for the better sometime. 

could someone fill in the historic play off gap for me?

I've got

1997 (or 1998?) - play off semis to Brentford

2003 - play off semis to Cardiff (Peter Thorne) 

2004 - BHA play off final

2008 - Hull play off final.

which one am I missing?

17 minutes ago, devoncider said:

could someone fill in the historic play off gap for me?

I've got

1997 (or 1998?) - play off semis to Brentford

2003 - play off semis to Cardiff (Peter Thorne) 

2004 - BHA play off final

2008 - Hull play off final.

which one am I missing?

Walsal 87/88 

lost away 2-1 

won at home 2-1 

two legged final

replay at their place . 4-0 down half time , coach broke down on the way up 

mass riots 

1 hour ago, lambo said:

I was way up in the Dolman last night and didn't have clue whether it was a pen or not. Made this gif and I'm still undecided after watching it 50 times.

fampenalty.gif

You watched it 50 times? I’m trying to stop after 10 minutes!

Bloody confusing. If the QPR player was the attacker they’d be screaming penalty, but he may have committed a foul! :facepalm:

Still not sure. Only thing you CAN'T say (but i have seen people say) is that it is "definite",  either way.

Worst decision on the night was Pisano's goal being ruled out.

That's when I started REAL:LY getting the hump with the ref.

Still, made the lat bit more exciting, and nerve-racking.

1 hour ago, lambo said:

fampenalty.gif

Don't follow Fam's feet, follow the QPR player's feet. Famara's feet are distracting to the naked eye because they're in front, and on their own it looks like he slips.

The key thing is the QPR players feet, which are nowhere near the ball, making no attempt at a tackle, once Famara is goalside of him, that is not a fair challenge.

I imagine had the QPR player actually touched the ball first, the ref may have been more sympathetic - but he makes no attempt on the ball, Fam outmuscles him.

Walsall 87/88 two legged final

Lost the first leg 3-1 at home (their third goal was in stoppage time as we threw everyone forward)

Won the second leg 2-0 away

Lost a penalty shoot-out to determine the venue for the replay.

Lost the replay 4-0. Though when we did go up automatically in 1990 we did get our revenge by beating them 4-0 in the last game of the season. 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ll be terrified just to get in the play offs . Whats our record. Five play offs , two semi final defeats and three final defeats. Not great is it. Although it has to change for the better sometime. 

It's two final defeats isn't it? both 1-0. plus a 4-0 loss in the decider against Walsall in 1988. after drawing over the two legged final.

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That challenge by the Hoops player would've been more fitting in a rugby match. The more I see it the more it's a penalty! Fair play to the ref, he considered what had happened and gave it.

It's strange cause I just can't see it and I have watched it 20 times! Who would be a Ref eh?!

16 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No, not for me. I don't believe Fam had control of the ball and the defender gave the ref a decision to make when he really didn't need to.

Would not have been happy if it had been given against us.

Fam was trying to control it with his arse. 

44 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Still not sure. Only thing you CAN'T say (but i have seen people say) is that it is "definite",  either way.

Worst decision on the night was Pisano's goal being ruled out.

That's when I started REAL:LY getting the hump with the ref.

Still, made the lat bit more exciting, and nerve-racking.

When you look at the highlights the ref points at Matty Taylor as if to say you were at fault. I think Taylor impeded the goalkeeper. 

3 hours ago, cityboy said:

Good work on the gif.

For me, it's a penalty. There's a difference between using your body to shield the ball, and what this defender is doing - which is using his outstretched arms to hold Famara from getting through.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Without doubt the defender is holding Famara back. Rare to see those given but probably just about a penalty. Nonetheless that is a hilariously unnatural collapse to the turf. On first watch I thought Fammy was doing a flying kick...

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Don't follow Fam's feet, follow the QPR player's feet. Famara's feet are distracting to the naked eye because they're in front, and on their own it looks like he slips.

The key thing is the QPR players feet, which are nowhere near the ball, making no attempt at a tackle, once Famara is goalside of him, that is not a fair challenge.

I imagine had the QPR player actually touched the ball first, the ref may have been more sympathetic - but he makes no attempt on the ball, Fam outmuscles him.

Well summed up you three.  Not an obvious penalty, but if you then take into account the ref’s position, you could see why he did give it.

Not a blatant / stonewall pen, but maybe not as soft as I thought.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

No, not for me. I don't believe Fam had control of the ball and the defender gave the ref a decision to make when he really didn't need to.

Would not have been happy if it had been given against us.

It's not about control of the ball. If it was, then what about all the penalties given when the striker takes the ball round the keeper, overhits it so it will be going out for a gaol kick, but the keeper brings the striker down as he goes past?

The defender gets his arm across/around Famara's middle, under his arm pits, thereby preventing him going for the ball. It is this holding that causes FD's feet to come up off the ground  as his body pivots around the defenders arm. You could argue that FD made the most of it, but there was a definite hold, unlike Gayle's swallow dive in the West Brom game.

If the penalty had been awarded in the 50th minute, mots fans would say they've seen them given. When it's the 90th minute then it becomes hugely contentious and the defeated club will always argue as QPR have done, and I'm sure we would have, had the positions been reversed.

I used to play as a striker, so tend to see things from that perspective, but wonder whether other fans perhaps see incidents like this more from a defenders point of view?

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

It's not about control of the ball. If it was, then what about all the penalties given when the striker takes the ball round the keeper, overhits it so it will be going out for a gaol kick, but the keeper brings the striker down as he goes past?

The defender gets his arm across/around Famara's middle, under his arm pits, thereby preventing him going for the ball. It is this holding that causes FD's feet to come up off the ground  as his body pivots around the defenders arm. You could argue that FD made the most of it, but there was a definite hold, unlike Gayle's swallow dive in the West Brom game.

If the penalty had been awarded in the 50th minute, mots fans would say they've seen them given. When it's the 90th minute then it becomes hugely contentious and the defeated club will always argue as QPR have done, and I'm sure we would have, had the positions been reversed.

I used to play as a striker, so tend to see things from that perspective, but wonder whether other fans perhaps see incidents like this more from a defenders point of view?

For me, it’s a bad touch from Fammy and the ball gets away, The defender to start with is ahead of Fammy who them uses his strength and a fair bit of tussling to get ahead just about. Both players are as bad as each other really, and then they both go down. It’s not a dive for me, but it is six of one and half a dozen of the other and could equally be given as a free kick the other way. Let’s say I would be mad if it was given the other way.

Also on reflection, Taylor does clearly back in to the defender on the line as the cross came over that Eros puts it in the net from. Ref has seen it early and blown. One you might get away with a fair bit but not ‘wrong’ as such.

Why I feel no sense of guilt about the result at all is the amount of pulling in the box which should have led to a penalty earlier, and a lot of cynical fouls they hit away with. 

Archived