IGNORED

David Moyes

LeeJohnsonsFlatCap

Just had a guest speaker session today in university with him. I asked him whether he thought the gap in quality between premier league teams and football league teams is getting bigger which he replied yes. He said that when he was Preston manager and missed out in the play offs that the three teams that went up Fulham Blackburn and Bolton all stayed up for 10 seasons after. Unlike today where all 3 newly promoted teams struggle to stay up witch the extent of one always (Wolves being this season). The Man City 9-0 win over Burton only withheld this point also. I told him I was a Bristol City fan and with a beaming smile on his face and said that we will get play off this season and he thinks that Bristol is an unbelievable place. Very cheerful man and thought he withheld with critiscm he got from man united fans in the  sesssion today. 

I actually think that if the current top 6 of the Championship were put in a league of 12 with the current bottom 6 teams of the Prem, each playing everyone home & away; the final table would be interesting and certainly not so cut & dry.

The top 6 of the Prem are miles away from everyone, but everyone else in that league? Not so sure. 

You can't use Burton as an example with this due to them being a mid-table League 1 side!

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Will be our new manager when LJ takes over at Real Madrid.

I think he would be. He has said how he’s had offers from Egypt and Saudi Arabia but hasn’t found any that he thinks he will enjoy.

Also forgot to say also that he said that he think there will be a premier league 2 coming soon.

I like David Moyes. I think people underestimate the extent of the job he did at Everton turning them from a team that narrowly avoided relegation almost every season before he arrived to one that was always fifth place or thereabouts by the time he left. Man Utd was obviously the wrong job for him and he was on a hiding to nothing at Sunderland, even if he probably didn't do himself many favours with what were perceived as negative comments about the team's ability to stay up. Did well at Wham though.

There seems to be a bit of a gap at the moment between the jobs Moyes wants and the jobs he is offered which makes me wonder if there will end up with a Curbishley-style disappearance from football management. A year ago I would have said he was the wrong man to take over for us when LJ goes but we now seem to be an organised, drilled, hard-working and defensively-sound team with an emphasis on bringing young players through and buying talent from lower divisions. It could be right up his alley. 

5 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I actually think that if the current top 6 of the Championship were put in a league of 12 with the current bottom 6 teams of the Prem, each playing everyone home & away; the final table would be interesting and certainly not so cut & dry.

The top 6 of the Prem are miles away from everyone, but everyone else in that league? Not so sure. 

You can't use Burton as an example with this due to them being a mid-table League 1 side!

Yeah, if we had home games against Everton, Fulham, Hudds, Cardiff, I would fancy our chances

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I like David Moyes. I think people underestimate the extent of the job he did at Everton turning them from a team that narrowly avoided relegation almost every season before he arrived to one that was always fifth place or thereabouts by the time he left. Man Utd was obviously the wrong job for him and he was on a hiding to nothing at Sunderland, even if he probably didn't do himself many favours with what were perceived as negative comments about the team's ability to stay up. Did well at Wham though.

There seems to be a bit of a gap at the moment between the jobs Moyes wants and the jobs he is offered which makes me wonder if there will end up with a Curbishley-style disappearance from football management. A year ago I would have said he was the wrong man to take over for us when LJ goes but we now seem to be an organised, drilled, hard-working and defensively-sound team with an emphasis on bringing young players through and buying talent from lower divisions. It could be right up his alley. 

He mentioned about that mentality he had about buying from lower leagues with the likes of Lescott. He also talked about how Miroslav Kloses’ wife came to the Everton training ground to see how the team played. He then went to see Miroslav playing for Germany however Klose broke his wrist so was unable to get the deal done. 

13 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Plus we saw what Man City did to a top 6 side last weekend...

12 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Yeah, if we had home games against Everton, Fulham, Hudds, Cardiff, I would fancy our chances

Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff might all be in our league next season. Even with how bad Everton are at the moment you fancy Richarlison up against  Wright/PIsano?

11 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff might all be in our league next season. Even with how bad Everton are at the moment you fancy Richarlison up against  Wright/PIsano?

One very decent player (when he fancies it anyway) does not make a team. I'd fancy Norwich, Sheffield Utd and even us to beat Everton at the moment; especially at home. 

I was referring more to the current bottom 6 of the Prem though...

Would fancy the current Champ top 6 against Hudds, Fulham, Saints, Cardiff, Newcastle and Burnley.

26 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Imagine if we had to play the likes of Man Utd/City, bet we'd get a hiding....

On 13/02/2019 at 13:48, Taz said:

Imagine if we had to play the likes of Man Utd/City, bet we'd get a hiding....

So long as the whole season was a cup tournament we might be alright...

On 13/02/2019 at 13:38, Kingswoodactor said:

One very decent player (when he fancies it anyway) does not make a team. I'd fancy Norwich, Sheffield Utd and even us to beat Everton at the moment; especially at home. 

I was referring more to the current bottom 6 of the Prem though...

Would fancy the current Champ top 6 against Hudds, Fulham, Saints, Cardiff, Newcastle and Burnley.

Just as well they don’t just have one good player then ?

On 13/02/2019 at 13:04, Kingswoodactor said:

On 13/02/2019 at 13:10, Southport Red said:

On 13/02/2019 at 13:17, ExiledAjax said:

We've already got one win over that lot this season. 3 points already on the board in that imaginary league!

Add to that, that the top 6 Championship would have an extra £100million+ to strengthen, then I think we’d have a damn good chance of competing with with the bottom 6-10 premiership teams. 

On 13/02/2019 at 16:46, Gimme Shelton said:

What like last season!

Whoosh! 

It's so good these days to confirm our support for the maager of the club we support! I doubt Lj will go to Real but let's llok at the managers who have out-witted him in any one of the 3 seasons- very few have done the double. Contrast this with how many doubles Lj has achieved and then add all the Premier scalps in the cup run last year plus the big names this season. A double over QPR and make no mistake McClaren is a much better manager than most of us perceive look at his track record but now in our tight league he has gone from 8th and 18th in weeks! Maybe Moyes to BS3 one day but by then he will be old news I fear (or hope).

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

It's so good these days to confirm our support for the maager of the club we support! I doubt Lj will go to Real but let's llok at the managers who have out-witted him in any one of the 3 seasons- very few have done the double. Contrast this with how many doubles Lj has achieved and then add all the Premier scalps in the cup run last year plus the big names this season. A double over QPR and make no mistake McClaren is a much better manager than most of us perceive look at his track record but now in our tight league he has gone from 8th and 18th in weeks! Maybe Moyes to BS3 one day but by then he will be old news I fear (or hope).

Interesting you bring up McClaren.  He set up his side really well on Tuesday night.  Went 3 at the back, kept his RM very defensive and he (Cousins) never really left his position of protecting their right side.  It was partly (only partly) to blame why Kelly couldn’t get balls wide to O’Dowda and into Diedhiou and Paterson.  They attacked with 3 mist if the time (Freeman, Smith and Wells).  So well done McClaren.  But what did he do second half under possession onslaught?  Nothing!  Just retreated and retreated.

In the past, LJ has been guilty of either setting his side up wrong and having to make drastic changes to correct it.  Or not reacting to changes made by his opposite number.  I feel this is an area he has really broken through in.  I think this is partly that he now knows his 4141 style so well, through familiarity, regularity of playing it, that he can now spot where it is breaking down, or opposition are exploiting it.

On Tuesday he said the tactics were right, just not being executed correctly.

On a few occasions he has used his plan B (he now has one)...the diamond.  It allows him to go 2 up top, but keep Pack in his DM position.  It leaves us exposed side, but keeps us compact, and he’ll take the risk that the FBs might get overloaded.

I think this is an area he has really matured.

Sunday will be a good test of how we retain and recover the ball against a better side of technical players.

On 13/02/2019 at 13:13, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

He mentioned about that mentality he had about buying from lower leagues with the likes of Lescott. He also talked about how Miroslav Kloses’ wife came to the Everton training ground to see how the team played. He then went to see Miroslav playing for Germany however Klose broke his wrist so was unable to get the deal done. 

He signed Lescott from the championship - is the championship included in ‘lower leagues’ ?!

15 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

It's so good these days to confirm our support for the maager of the club we support! I doubt Lj will go to Real but let's llok at the managers who have out-witted him in any one of the 3 seasons- very few have done the double....

He’s only had two full seasons in charge - and in his first full season five teams did the double over us...is that ‘very few’ ?

Not knocking him at all, but you can’t look back with rose-tinted goggles.....

Archived