IGNORED

Hope for those who use the train to away games?

Never to the dark side

• Admin
1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

An email I had from the MP

Dear ***************,

Today, in the face of mounting pressure from Labour and supporters' organisations, the Government have given the green light to our Fans' Fare scheme.

I am pleased that they have finally listened to our campaign. As I have said before, fans should not be at the mercy of billion pound TV deals.

The Rail Minister has pledged to meet with the British Transport Police, the Premier League and the Rail Delivery Group on this issue, but I am worried that fans' groups will be excluded from these discussions. I am meeting the Rail Minister separately on 26th February, where I'll demand that fans be included.

Let's not let the Government off the hook, you can put pressure on by doing two things:

Thank you for your help on this campaign, we would not have got this result without your support.

Yours,

Rosena

Dr Rosena Allin-Khan MP
Shadow Minister for Sport

• Admin

An additional similar development, but only being aimed at Premier League sides to start with, but guess they are the ones the suffer the most with this:

Football fans will soon be able to avoid the financial pain of increased train travel costs resulting from matches being rearranged.

A deal is now “within reach” between the Department for Transport, train companies and the Premier league to introduce flexible ticketing, according to ministers.

Fans who buy rail tickets in advance only for a match to be rescheduled because of TV demands often have to pay to change their travel arrangements.  

Andrew Jones, the Rail Minister, will meet with stakeholders in early March to hammer out the details of how a new flexible ticketing system could work.

Mr Jones said: “Football is all about passionate fans, and the last thing loyal supporters deserve is to pay more when matches are rescheduled at the last minute.

“That’s why I’m delighted that the Government has helped secure a vital agreement that will bring together clubs, operators and British Transport Police.

“Significant changes are now within reach, which can ensure even more people use our railways to get to games and improve the experience for all passengers on match days.

“To drive this forward, I will be meeting with the Premier League and rail industry shortly to ensure our focus is on delivering a safe, secure and fair railway that works for fans, passengers, the clubs and the operators.”

The changes would be most useful to supporters of Premier League teams because those are the games most likely to be changed at short notice.

However, the Government does want the scheme to apply to the Football League as well.

A DfT source said Mr Jones is a Leeds United fan - a team currently fighting for promotion in the Championship.

The source said: “Although he is hopeful they will get to the Premier League next season it is obvious that we will want to expand this to the Football League as well, following successful trials.”

The Premier League is currently drawing up an agreement to underpin the commitment to make travelling by train to football matches easier.

18 minutes ago, City Cat said:

Let's hope something comes of this. As an example, I've been putting off getting ticket for Sheffield U. exactly for this reason and especially after last year when the fixture was switched..

Not going to be televised. Get your ticket. 

Clubs need to underwrite the fans losses when games are rescheduled.

Simply put Sky pay just under £5 BILLION to the PL Plus whatever BT pay, that money is dished out to the PL clubs. In order to receive that money clearly games have to be rescheduled.

So if a fan buys a ticket for an away game plus a train ticket then if the game is rescheduled : on production of match tickets, rail booking receipt and new rail booking the club should refund the difference, or the original fare if the supporter can't make the rescheduled match.

The money is there (£5Bill), clubs should look upon the refunds in the context of being a necessary expense to enable their vast tv revenue.

Archived