IGNORED

Kids banned from heading footballs?

Super

To give you some insight from over here in the US where heading is not allowed until U12. Any deliberate or accidental header is now an indirect free kick to the other team. To counter act it as well keepers are not allowed to kick the ball from their hands, everything has to be played from the ground. A "build out line" has been brought in about 25 yards from the goal so players have to drop off to allow the teams to try and play out as keeper must play from their feet.

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I can of agree with him to be honest,

your body is still developing so restricting it makes sense under the age of 13,

that said balls are also getting lighter then 10 years ago

Very true, dream ball when I was a kid was leather and certainly a hell of a lot more density than the modern ball, I’m effing stupid in old age but that’s not down to a ball, rather having too much of a ball - ban headers? FFS sake make them wear boxing style headgear?????

whatever next? Ban spelling tests - too stressful

This thought process of banning heading will die down. The same happened when Fabrice Muamba had his heart issue, the FA/media were all over getting people having their heart tested for defects, but you don't hear about that anymore.

I saw Ryan Mason doing some punditry and the chair he was sat on had more personality so he might as well put his name to this for 3 months.

Don’t agree with him tbh, safety should always be the no1 priority with footballers at such a young age but stopping them from doing one of the main parts of the beautiful game is ridiculous, as said previous footballs are so lightweight these days I’m struggling to understand his point?

I feel for the bloke as he had a promising career taken away from him at a young age, in a freak accident during a aerial challenge, not caused from heading a football, unfortunately for him it was a career ending injury, it won’t be the first or the last. 

22 hours ago, simon uk said:

Never did i no arm.

Nor me - as I told Jonathan, my pet rabbit, when we were discussing this and other items of news over breakfast this morning.

29 minutes ago, WOODSY1111 said:

If you think that’s bad my daughters school don’t allow tackling! ?‍♂️

No different from the prem then. :(

16 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Imagine the terrible damage done to players' feet from kicking footballs.

Not to mention the awful strain on their bodies from having to take throw-ins.

Football is a horrific sport.

namby pamby.png

I don't think many are overreacting. 

I played a lot of football when I was younger as a defender and despite having the ball with the correct technique (forehead, not top of head) I got a lot of headaches after games. 

My daughter played her first match this week and the affects that heading has certainly concerns me, maybe not to the point of wrapping her up and being overprotective but certainly to the point where I won't mock these researches. 

There was a point in the 1900s where people drink radioactive drinks, heroine was in cough medicine, bloodletting was a treatment, smoking was said to be good for you and was encouraged, mercury was used to cure syphilis and even using a lobotomy to cure mental illness. The point is all of these things were normal at one point until research was done and these things proved to be highly harmful.

It's not a big reach to suggest that smacking your head up against an object repeatedly could actually do some brain damage is it? 

Archived