IGNORED

Is this as good as it gets?

old_eastender

So our remarkable winning run has transformed us from a side looking more likely to be dragged into the bottom 6 than reach the top 6, to now sit in 5th place.

#

Team Name

P

W

D

L

F

A

GD

PTS

Leeds United

+17

Norwich City

+19

Sheffield United

+20

West Bromwich Albion

+22

Bristol City

+10

Middlesbrough

+11

Derby County

+7

Birmingham City

+9

Nottingham Forest

+8

Aston Villa

+6

Hull City

+3

Can we maintain a place in the top 6 (I don’t think a challenge for top 2 is realistic), or we will drop away?

We have a tough looking run-in having to play all the above top half teams except Forest, but that can be a double-edged sword as we therefore also have opportunity to take points off our rivals.

I have hope based on 2 counts:

1.      1.   Our impressive run is based on solid defence backed up by good keeping when called upon. As long as Kalas/Webster/Dasilva don’t get injured or suspended and Fielding/Maenpaa stay on form  we don’t look like conceding many and we have others, as shown by Eliasson Tues, who can come up with a goal for us to squeeze out results. I think Fammy is another one important to keep available because, although he can be very frustrating, he is key to our pattern of play.

2.      2. Although other top 6 contenders seem to have an easier run in, there is not a lot between most sides in the division, hence more results like Preston beating Norwich last night are on the cards.

I am not too bothered about the cup, perhaps better to go out with a narrow defeat, as if we were to reach QFs that really could distract from the task in hand in the league.

Going to be interesting to see what happens, COYR.

19 minutes ago, _Shawn_x said:

Just hope that if we do loose too wolves it won’t start a drop in form 

It’s quite likely too. There’s every possibility of us losing our next 2 games (Wolves & Norwich) 

IF we don’t, then we could be heading for an epic season! IF we do, then it’s important to get back on track Vs Brum. 

30 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

So our remarkable winning run has transformed us from a side looking more likely to be dragged into the bottom 6 than reach the top 6, to now sit in 5th place.

#

Team Name

P

W

D

L

F

A

GD

PTS

Leeds United

+17

Norwich City

+19

Sheffield United

+20

West Bromwich Albion

+22

Bristol City

+10

Middlesbrough

+11

Derby County

+7

Birmingham City

+9

Nottingham Forest

+8

Aston Villa

+6

Hull City

+3

Can we maintain a place in the top 6 (I don’t think a challenge for top 2 is realistic), or we will drop away?

We have a tough looking run-in having to play all the above top half teams except Forest, but that can be a double-edged sword as we therefore also have opportunity to take points off our rivals.

1.      1.   Our impressive run is based on solid defence backed up by good keeping when called upon. As long as Kalas/Webster/Dasilva don’t get injured or suspended and Fielding/Maenpaa stay on form  we don’t look like conceding many and we have others, as shown by Eliasson Tues, who can come up with a goal for us to squeeze out results. I think Fammy is another one important to keep available because, although he can be very frustrating, he is key to our pattern of play.

2.      2. Although other top 6 contenders seem to have an easier run in, there is not a lot between most sides in the division, hence more results like Preston beating Norwich last night are on the cards.

I am not too bothered about the cup, perhaps better to go out with a narrow defeat, as if we were to reach QFs that really could distract from the task in hand in the league.

I'll be honest anything less than Auto will be impossible for promotion, given our record, think we should go balls out to win the FA Cup, 110 years of pain...

36 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

#

Team Name

P

W

D

L

F

A

GD

PTS

Leeds United

+17

Norwich City

+19

Sheffield United

+20

West Bromwich Albion

+22

Bristol City

+10

Middlesbrough

+11

Derby County

+7

Birmingham City

+9

Nottingham Forest

+8

Aston Villa

+6

Hull City

+3

If we stay in the cup there are only four additional matches to play if we make the final.

Hardly a huge problem and a nice little break from the relentless  pressure of the Championship, perhaps a useful distraction ? 

31 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

A top 2 finish is completely realistic if we win our game in hand, we will be 5 points off top and still have to play Norwich and Leeds, on our current form (which is better than everyone) we have to be going for the automatic spots surely?

Possibly, but it's an uphill struggle because Leeds and Norwich have the advantage of points on the board.

In fact, they both play Bolton next so should have even more points posted. 

Now, if Norwich drop points against Bolton and then lose to us....

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I’d be surprised if we didn’t lose at Norwich which will kill 2nd place hopes. Top 6 we do have a good chance now though because all the sides below Derby seem unlikely to get to 75 points needed.

Yeah and realistically a scruffy draw at Norwich would be a great result 

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I’d be surprised if we didn’t lose at Norwich which will kill 2nd place hopes. Top 6 we do have a good chance now though because all the sides below Derby seem unlikely to get to 75 points needed.

If City lose at Carrow Rd it won’t necessarily kill off any chance of an automatic spot.  Currently there are 15 matches to go - 45 points up for grabs and anything can happen over that many matches.

Personally I’m simply delighted to be where we are right now and fits in perfectly with my pre season hopes - well placed with around 10-15 games to go. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If City lose at Carrow Rd it won’t necessarily kill off any chance of an automatic spot.  Currently there are 15 matches to go - 45 points up for grabs and anything can happen over that many matches.

Personally I’m simply delighted to be where we are right now and fits in perfectly with my pre season hopes - well placed with around 10-15 games to go. 

Lose that and we need to get 34 more points from 14 games. Not going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In mathematical terms, definitely not no.

In practical terms plus momentum shifts, I'd say it likely would.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In mathematical terms, definitely not no.

In practical terms plus momentum shifts, I'd say it likely would.

Not at all.

It would probably kill off the chance of catching Norwich, but 2 teams go up and we still have to play Leeds.

Lose at Norwich, but beat Leeds and there's no reason top 2 would be unattainable.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not at all.

It would probably kill off the chance of catching Norwich, but 2 teams go up and we still have to play Leeds.

Lose at Norwich, but beat Leeds and there's no reason top 2 would be unattainable.

When you start getting into 10 pts and upwards- and this is assuming Leeds beat Bolton who they play next the day we play at Norwich- at this stage of the season, it starts to slip away.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When you start getting into 10 pts and upwards- and this is assuming Leeds beat Bolton who they play next the day we play at Norwich- at this stage of the season, it starts to slip away.

We also have a game in hand over Norwich and Leeds against 'Boro.

Depends on the result of that, but beat Leeds and Boro we're 5 points behind even if we did lose to Norwich with them beating Bolton.

Halved the 10 points already. With no additional games played by them.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I feel more confident about Norwich away than Millwall or Preston away!

Another factor is the infamous Bielsa burn-out. Historically, his teams always start brilliantly, but his brand of football requires a lot of effort and his teams tend to drop off near the end of the season.

Leeds started very strong, but I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility for them to drop some games throughout the season. As long as we pip them by two wins, we'll finish above them at the end of the season.

Personally, I think the playoffs are a big ask, let alone automatic promotion. We're on a winning streak, but our promotion credentials will only be on display when we see how we react to a loss. If we rotate where needed, and pick based on form, I can see us maintaining our push despite losses, but it's ultimately down to confidence.

9 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Another factor is the infamous Bielsa burn-out. Historically, his teams always start brilliantly, but his brand of football requires a lot of effort and his teams tend to drop off near the end of the season.

Leeds started very strong, but I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility for them to drop some games throughout the season. As long as we pip them by two wins, we'll finish above them at the end of the season.

Personally, I think the playoffs are a big ask, let alone automatic promotion. We're on a winning streak, but our promotion credentials will only be on display when we see how we react to a loss. If we rotate where needed, and pick based on form, I can see us maintaining our push despite losses, but it's ultimately down to confidence.

Normally I would agree, but the in-game reaction at QPR tells me what I need to.  This squad has the belief, drive, determination and grit. 

Archived