IGNORED

Why is our stadium called Ashton Gate?

hoxton casual

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There was a toll house at the western end of North Street which was known as the ‘gate on the way to Ashton’ - now known as Long Ashton....our stadium took its name from that toll house...hope that isn’t too boring for an 8 year old @hoxton casual...

The Toll House is still there. Junction North Street and Coronation Road.

49 minutes ago, TomF said:

The Bristol Beer Factory goes some way to creating the yeast smell on North St that you got down by Bristol Bridge

Love it. Used to work in Norwich Union and the smell from the brewery was amazing. Might account for the frequent lunchtimes and after work beers in the Rummer. . . 

Grew up in the Cadbury Heath area.. (yeah, I know) .. Anyway despite being several miles distant the smells from Frys Chocolate Factory at Somerdale/Keynsham often wafted over the estate... Gert Lush it were! :) 

There was also a mushroom farm much nearer us (area now home to B&Q ..ASDA etc Longwell Green) the smells often emitted from 'the mushy' weren't quite as pleasantly flagrant as that of the cocoa powder!  

43 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Looking at all these maps, it's amazing how little South Bristol was built up until within the last 100 years... a few large farms, mines, rifle ranges etc - yet still a lot of hospitals and sports facilities.

Yep. I have a framed 1890 map of Bristol on my wall at home. South of the river there's a thin line of houses along the river bank. But that's about it. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe that’s Aizoon on the right smoking his pipe.

What I miss are the smells of the city , the tobacco, the Gas works , the diesel from the boats  ... not as healthy as today I suppose but it’s part of my childhood that’s gone.

I don’t miss the smell from the bone yard wafting over the Feeder 

12 minutes ago, Gazred said:

image.thumb.png.dbc20d79d2f3d469068cb2ed590d47e9.png

Got to be honest. Walked past that a thousand times and i never new.

Never too old to learn.

Yes. As a lad it was in a state of dereliction and  I remember asking my dad why they didn't just knock it down, until he told me it's historical value. It was incorporated into the development you can see either side of it in that picture. I seem to remember it was an old folks home, I didn't realise it had become a shelter of sorts.

8 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Dont give the nimbys ideas, we will be booted out of AG next as it gets village green status.

But then they would have to knock down their own homes as well, I have a framed copy of this map from 1673 (I will find a place to hang it one day!)  You will see that even places like Temple Meads were outside the original walls and the "CITTY" (sic) is very much aligned to the river. 

millerd_large.jpg

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Looking at all these maps, it's amazing how little South Bristol was built up until within the last 100 years... a few large farms, mines, rifle ranges etc - yet still a lot of hospitals and sports facilities.

there are 3 threads talking about the history of the club / area if your ineterested - often think they should be merged, title changed and pinned so people can find/read and add to them. Here are two of them, there is a third larger thread somewhere but In can't find it, it had a on of photos maps and chat about the past in our area / the club etc

Also Paul Townsends Flickr collection of Bristol is probably the most complete you'll ever find online.  Can spend hours going through his albums:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/albums 

Something for you to all waste your entire Friday looking through! 

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But then they would have to knock down their own homes as well, I have a framed copy of this map from 1673 (I will find a place to hang it one day!)  You will see that even places like Temple Meads were outside the original walls and the "CITTY" (sic) is very much aligned to the river. 

millerd_large.jpg

A huge version of that Map that takes up the whole wall in the Shakespear pub in town.

48 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

The new city ground 1904.

20,000 pre-season tickets were sold at 1p each.

bcfc44.PNG

Have a look at this site with side by side images of past maps and present satellite images. Move the cursor and you can see the original pitch is now under Mandela House.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=51.4419&lon=-2.6179&layers=168&right=BingHyb

also use Bristols own 'Know your place' maps

http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

Also Paul Townsends Flickr collection of Bristol is probably the most complete you'll ever find online.  Can spend hours going through his albums:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/albums 

Something for you to all waste your entire Friday looking through! 

Thanks for that. Just sent it on to my Dad who has all the Reece Winston "Bristol as it was" books, he'll really enjoy looking through those.

12 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

My 8 year old wants to know.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There was a toll house at the western end of North Street which was known as the ‘gate on the way to Ashton’ - now known as Long Ashton....our stadium took its name from that toll house...hope that isn’t too boring for an 8 year old @hoxton casual...

I want to know as well . In all my years watching the mighty reds . I never knew that . Cracking bit of information cheers 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You are wrong . The odours were unique to Bristol and more specifically the area around  Hotwells , Canon’s Marsh, Bristol Docks , Cumberland basin and Bemmy. 

I have been all over the world and never experienced the same smell or close to it that evokes the memories.

Remember the gasworks when playing on the tip or fishing in the malago. Tobacco down East st

Archived