IGNORED

Why is our stadium called Ashton Gate?

hoxton casual

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think I’m right in saying that before 1832 the site of our ground (and all of Bristol south of the river) was in Somerset?

Bemmy might have been incorporated in 1832, but as the land south of Luckwell Rd wasn't built on until the 1920s, that area might still have been Somerset until later. Anyone know?

My nan (b. 1908) grew up in a cottage near where the pits were and she considered herself a Somerset girl, while my mum (b.1935), played for Somerset Ladies cricket team, on account of being born in Ashton.

20 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There was a toll house at the western end of North Street which was known as the ‘gate on the way to Ashton’ - now known as Long Ashton....our stadium took its name from that toll house...hope that isn’t too boring for an 8 year old @hoxton casual...

Thank you @BS4 on Tour... and everyone else. I have been going since 1972 and I never knew that. She will  be delighted that all my "my Bristol City friends on the computer" have answered her question. 

39 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think I’m right in saying that before 1832 the site of our ground (and all of Bristol south of the river) was in Somerset?

Yes old maps show the boundary originality had AG in Somerset. It then moved to the other side of the Portishead railway line not to far from where it is now 

12 hours ago, RedM said:

Exactly, and as @Offsidesays above it was certainly a Bristol. The ‘stinky bones’ smell of my childhood living in Brislington and smelling the glue factory (?) wafting over from St Phillips I think it was?

Back in the day the rich would escape the city and holiday here in Brislington, between Brislington and Keynsham as both were villages outside the boundary and countrified, hard to believe now with the traffic using the Bath Road.

What about the Tannery in Phillip Street, I think it was RedM,  a wonderful pongy smell!

20 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Yup, the turnpike house was a gated entrance to the city's south west. The Ashmead map of 1828 shows a sturdy barrier across the road in front of the house shown above, with two separate gates.

Interestingly, the toll house and the sturdy barrier were the first things that Tilly up in Clifton complained about ruining her view. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bemmy might have been incorporated in 1832, but as the land south of Luckwell Rd wasn't built on until the 1920s, that area might still have been Somerset until later. Anyone know?

My nan (b. 1908) grew up in a cottage near where the pits were and she considered herself a Somerset girl, while my mum (b.1935), played for Somerset Ladies cricket team, on account of being born in Ashton.

My Grandmother lived on a farm in Bishopsworth, that was all countryside in those days.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

PS this is my favourite photo (I bought the actual print) but I have a no idea where the modern day equivalent is. Nonetheless Peaky Brummies have nothing on this.

C06BAB9A-6380-4B55-9A6C-B2866ED4D937.thumb.jpeg.06f3bcaf3485003b7d30c2fb371f6622.jpeg

Is that the Star/Wedlock’s?

19 hours ago, Fiale said:

ashton gate old bristol.png

Also now we are going to go with 1884 as our foundation date - time for the South stand to be renamed The Bristol South End (as a nod to our past).

Fiale - what web site is this from it looks interesting and I could lose an evening in that.

Mind you I am not sure what use a gate and fence lying on the ground would be. Then again there is the issue of why a map maker would show a random collection of a single jigsaw piece and a deflated balloon on a row of streaky bacon rashers. I guess the past is a foreign country where they do things differently.:dunno:

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Is that the Star/Wedlock’s?

That's what I thought with the park back left but the lack of buildings to left and incline to the right makes me wonder. I bought an old 1940s book about Bristol pubs but it's not easy to tell which it was. Interesting side fact there were about 3 boozers on Greenway Bush Lane - I guess it was all bombed and rebuilt. BS3 was covered in pubs a century ago.

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

I am guessing it means the current stadium being a continual upgrade and built upon and not the grounds being in continual use as this is from 1902 (curtesy of @Threshing Red in a previous post). If the cricket was being played there, then the ground is a lot older than 1904

1888-1913 ashton gate.png

Bedminster played there in the late 1890's with bedminster cricket club. The ground was owned by an athletics company I think, which bristol city bought out when they merged with Bedminster. I think Bristol City redeveloped it around 1903-04.

21 minutes ago, Olé said:

PS this is my favourite photo (I bought the actual print) but I have a no idea where the modern day equivalent is. Nonetheless Peaky Brummies have nothing on this.

C06BAB9A-6380-4B55-9A6C-B2866ED4D937.thumb.jpeg.06f3bcaf3485003b7d30c2fb371f6622.jpeg

I've seen a picture of the Cross Hands where it looked a bit like that. Extended greatly after its humble beginnings. If it is, one of those coves could be my great grandfather, who was its first licensee.

23 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Fiale - what web site is this from it looks interesting and I could lose an evening in that.

Mind you I am not sure what use a gate and fence lying on the ground would be. Then again there is the issue of why a map maker would show a random collection of a single jigsaw piece and a deflated balloon on a row of streaky bacon rashers. I guess the past is a foreign country where they do things differently.:dunno:

It is this site (though it's changed a little now)   http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=

The traffic would have to keep to the roads, and I think a act of parliament meant avoiding or damaging the gates would have you hauled to the magistrate who would deal with you there and then, in all likelihood in that era, that would ruin your day.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe that the ‘ ton ‘ part of a place name means ‘ town ‘ ? 

Learning Old English so this sort of stuff interests me. Ton/tun is where the word "town" comes from but it didn't mean that. A 'ton' would be the equivalent of a fenced hamlet or small village. A town would have been a variation of 'burg' or 'stowe', the latter is where Bristol gets its name. Bristol could have been Brycgstow (pronounced like bridge-sto) roughly meaning Bridge Place or Brycgstocirce (bridge-sto-church-er) meaning church bridge place or holy bridge place etc. That's my guess and not definitive btw!

Edit: Ashton (æsctun) probably means "Ash Place" or "Ash Village", I imagine they had ash trees!

13 hours ago, RedM said:

Exactly, and as @Offsidesays above it was certainly a Bristol. The ‘stinky bones’ smell of my childhood living in Brislington and smelling the glue factory (?) wafting over from St Phillips I think it was?

Back in the day the rich would escape the city and holiday here in Brislington, between Brislington and Keynsham as both were villages outside the boundary and countrified, hard to believe now with the traffic using the Bath Road.

- but more pleasant was the smell of Jam from the Robertson’s Factory. Now it’s a bloody Tesco’s supermarket!!

1 hour ago, Olé said:

That's the new inn,  it was hit by a bomb during the war killing some people including the landlord.

29 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

My mum grew up on Pigeon House farm which was located beneath what is now the large roundabout on Hartcliffe Way/Hengrove Way. 

Pigeon House Cottages.jpg

The stream is still there (not sure if the stream, house, farm caused the naming of the area). But it's old, Seen maps mid 1800's with buildings on that site.

1 hour ago, Hellfire Corner said:

- but more pleasant was the smell of Jam from the Robertson’s Factory. Now it’s a bloody Tesco’s supermarket!!

I was exactly between the bones/tannery and the jam factory, depending on which way the wind blew was the smell memories of my childhood :laughcont:

8 hours ago, Fiale said:

So cricket was played at Adhtin Gate?

I am guessing it means the current stadium being a continual upgrade and built upon and not the grounds being in continual use as this is from 1902 (curtesy of @Threshing Red in a previous post). If the cricket was being played there, then the ground is a lot older than 1904

1888-1913 ashton gate.png

32 minutes ago, RedM said:

I was exactly between the bones/tannery and the jam factory, depending on which way the wind blew was the smell memories of my childhood :laughcont:

Could smell the tannery and the river with the tide out on a hot day from where I lived in Stackpool Road, but my favourite small was from Wyatt's chippy in Cannon Street when we came out of the Rex Cinema after kids matinee on Saturday mornings, Happy Days! 

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

That's the new inn,  it was hit by a bomb during the war killing some people including the landlord.

That was my first thought, The New In which was just up the A38 from the Cross Hands destroyed in the War.

I’m Sure I’ve seen this picture on Facebook before and a person who posted it had a relative in this picture.

Archived