IGNORED

Why is our stadium called Ashton Gate?

hoxton casual

1 minute ago, chowie said:

That was my first thought, The New In which was just up the A38 from the Cross Hands destroyed in the War.

I’m Sure I’ve seen this picture on Facebook before and a person who posted it had a relative in this picture.

There is another picture of it somewhere but I can't remember where I saw it - it's been bugging me all night.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

PS this is my favourite photo (I bought the actual print) but I have a no idea where the modern day equivalent is. Nonetheless Peaky Brummies have nothing on this.

C06BAB9A-6380-4B55-9A6C-B2866ED4D937.thumb.jpeg.06f3bcaf3485003b7d30c2fb371f6622.jpeg

Believe this is your modern day equivalent. There is a red brick house there now that’s been extended about 15 times ? 

9CCF9513-3495-43DD-A271-879A0EB3D6C5.thumb.jpeg.9f927678fc1dbc74cb9390451b17442a.jpeg

11 hours ago, Olé said:

That's what I thought with the park back left but the lack of buildings to left and incline to the right makes me wonder. I bought an old 1940s book about Bristol pubs but it's not easy to tell which it was. Interesting side fact there were about 3 boozers on Greenway Bush Lane - I guess it was all bombed and rebuilt. BS3 was covered in pubs a century ago.

I can only remember the Try Again in my lifetime Rob but it wouldn’t surprise me if there were more considering the workers coming out of the tobacco factories. 

My mother worked at Wills on a part time basis for years and a lot of the girls used to have a tipple before their shift. Mind you considering they also would get part of their pay in cigarettes, standards were somewhat different in those days! 

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I can only remember the Try Again in my lifetime Rob but it wouldn’t surprise me if there were more considering the workers coming out of the tobacco factories.

Yes, now the Ashville. The Cricketers Arms (Ashton Gate Brewery) was destroyed in the war, I assume it was down the bottom, opposite the turning into Upton Road.

Pictured here landlord Mark Howell (staring through the window), and outside Aunty Cable, Fanny Howell (his second wife), and Louise Howell (daughter by first wife).

Did not allow football shirts on match days and used to have a police van outside to make sure no one was drinking on the pavement.

IMG_2502.thumb.JPG.8c4665d63b15d5fee1ac99553a0f508c.JPG

13 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

- but more pleasant was the smell of Jam from the Robertson’s Factory. Now it’s a bloody Tesco’s supermarket!!

Back in my younger days, I used to service the tea and coffee machines in Robertsons Jam factory. A lot of the women who worked there, used to scare me to death, a very randy lot, perhaps it was something in the fumes from making the jam. Mind you it could have been that I was young and good looking, Ha Ha! I wish, those were the days.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Yes, now the Ashville. The Cricketers Arms (Ashton Gate Brewery) was destroyed in the war, I assume it was down the bottom, opposite the turning into Upton Road.

Pictured here landlord Mark Howell (staring through the window), and outside Aunty Cable, Fanny Howell (his second wife), and Louise Howell (daughter by first wife).

Did not allow football shirts on match days and used to have a police van outside to make sure no one was drinking on the pavement.

IMG_2502.thumb.JPG.8c4665d63b15d5fee1ac99553a0f508c.JPG

I remember that building, I think it was something like a shop that did alterations and other tailoring when I was young, always looked closed though. As you say it was on the corner of Upton Road (the right corner if you were walking from Raleigh Road.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember that building, I think it was something like a shop that did alterations and other tailoring when I was young, always looked closed though. As you say it was on the corner of Upton Road (the right corner if you were walking from Raleigh Road.

Can you remember the Exeter house off licence?

On 15/02/2019 at 01:35, Oh Louie louie said:

Sad to see what that building has become.

Walk past ashton park between 9 and 12 and i gurantee opposite the coopers you will see at least two of the residents of the toll house led in the flowerbed with a 2 liter.

I have to say that, in my current decade of living just off North Street, I have never seen that. Nor in my previous years living here when I was younger. The little recess under a window had a sign in it, for a while, stating it was - or rather the flowerbed there - was part of a tarmac free world/zone/Bristol (can't remember which). But I've never seen anyone suffering from drink - or, indeed, anything else - lying in there. And I've been past at night, many a time, including from the Coopers.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:34, Port Said Red said:

But then they would have to knock down their own homes as well, I have a framed copy of this map from 1673 (I will find a place to hang it one day!)  You will see that even places like Temple Meads were outside the original walls and the "CITTY" (sic) is very much aligned to the river. 

millerd_large.jpg

My mum's got that print on her living room wall! Nice to see it appear on the forum.

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I have to say that, in my current decade of living just off North Street, I have never seen that. Nor in my previous years living here when I was younger. The little recess under a window had a sign in it, for a while, stating it was - or rather the flowerbed there - was part of a tarmac free world/zone/Bristol (can't remember which). But I've never seen anyone suffering from drink - or, indeed, anything else - lying in there. And I've been past at night, many a time, including from the Coopers.

There have been various problems that end of NS over years since it became a half way house in 2005. You’ll notice they removed the benches outside of NatWest last year because a lot of the alcoholics there would go up to McColls then sit there all day drinking. There was one particular women that got really aggressive and abusive - even to primary school kids. I’m talking calling them C*** and all sorts.  

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Surge when did you last walk past ashton park?

They are there every morning.

The kid whose mum and dad ran exeter offy was 2 years below me at school.

Thing is having worked in the TF for 15 years now it’s easy to be oblivious to it. I didn’t really notice it for many many years until the above mentioned lady calling me a ‘orrible little c***’ every time I went out for my lunch break!  

Many in the office didn’t even realise there was a half way house down there till it was pointed out either. Or that there is another one opposite the hen and chicken. That’s good in a way as it shows for the majority of the time it’s not an issue..

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The charming long haired lady im guessing tom in the park?

Yes when north street had dareisay normal shops there wasnt beggars everywhere.

3 beggars daily now same spot everyday.

The situation which the bench outside the nat west got so bad they removed it.

Where do there customers bank now ? 

Archived