IGNORED

Mark Lawrensons BBC Predictions...

Silvio Dante

Didn’t he once run a pub or similar near Swindle and was an observer and opinionist on West Country  football on Points West?

Obviously long since forgotten, now he’s become yet another proverbial and overweight armchair critic and overpaid (paid at all!) pundit.

He used to be a pundit on HTV, was actually nowhere near as good as Roger Malone (which takes some doing!).  Somewhere around 1995/6 after we had just got relegated (following the sacking of Russell Osman but Joe Jordan's return failed to stop our relegation) we signed a defender, Richard Dryden who, despite us not having a great season, played well enough to attract a successful bid and fairly big money move to Southampton in the Premiership (as it was known then).  Lawrenson's reaction was that, if Dryden was still playing in the Saints prem. team by the end of the season he would walk naked through the centre of Bristol. As it happened, Dryden had a very decent season and was still playing in their 1st team at the end of the 95/96 season but, fortunately for all Bristolians he was "snapped up"  by the BBC national Football institution and the whole thing was conveniently forgotten, which was a good thing! 

I consider myself a very tolerant bloke and am prepared to hear pundits out and respect their views  and opinions whatever, but the fact that this bloke was called up by the Beeb for their flagship football programmes (MOTD) and has actually continued in a high profile job, really boils my piss! He is a dullard, ignorant of the progressive nature of the game,  and a total imbecile who shows a shocking lack of knowledge of the wonderful game even if he was an ordinary fan, let alone a bloke we have to suffer on our telly, and obviously gets paid a decent wad to spout his ignorance! 

Rant over!!

6 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

He's still pi$$ed off about 1994

I remember well beating Oxford United at home in FA Cup and then Lawro got the sack shortly after. I dont think he ever went back into Management  so clearly he still holds a grudge!

Perhaps he should thank us for altering the course of his career into something he still isn't that good at but gets paid zillions.

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

He used to be a pundit on HTV, was actually nowhere near as good as Roger Malone (which takes some doing!).  Somewhere around 1995/6 after we had just got relegated (following the sacking of Russell Osman but Joe Jordan's return failed to stop our relegation) we signed a defender, Richard Dryden who, despite us not having a great season, played well enough to attract a successful bid and fairly big money move to Southampton in the Premiership (as it was known then).  Lawrenson's reaction was that, if Dryden was still playing in the Saints prem. team by the end of the season he would walk naked through the centre of Bristol. As it happened, Dryden had a very decent season and was still playing in their 1st team at the end of the 95/96 season but, fortunately for all Bristolians he was "snapped up"  by the BBC national Football institution and the whole thing was conveniently forgotten, which was a good thing! 

I consider myself a very tolerant bloke and am prepared to hear pundits out and respect their views  and opinions whatever, but the fact that this bloke was called up by the Beeb for their flagship football programmes (MOTD) and has actually continued in a high profile job, really boils my piss! He is a dullard, ignorant of the progressive nature of the game,  and a total imbecile who shows a shocking lack of knowledge of the wonderful game even if he was an ordinary fan, let alone a bloke we have to suffer on our telly, and obviously gets paid a decent wad to spout his ignorance! 

Rant over!!

But apart from that?

I don't get why people are angry that no-one is calling us to win. Wolves have massive talent, are the highest team in the Prem of you remove the usual top 6, they're by far the best team we've played this season and of our 9 consecutive wins the best teams are Forest and Huddersfield, a team 6 points behind us and a team who are bottom of the Prem and only won 2 of their 26 league games. 

This whole run seems to be going to a lot of heads when our fans are now expecting pundits and average celebrity fans to choose us over a team who are 7th in the Prem and have beaten Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool this season. 

To be honest I think he is right,

wolves are doing well in the Prem, while we are the form team it’s going to be a very tough game for us, unless we play flat out for 90 minutes,

id rather us rest a few Sunday and concentrate on the league especially after what happened last season

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Dryden was terrible though!

You clearly weren't at Crewe for his overhead kick strike in the snow (but you're right otherwise).

That game, also remembered for the ref flip flopping on whether there was a need for the orange ball or not. Each change was suitably serenaded.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't get why people are angry that no-one is calling us to win. Wolves have massive talent, are the highest team in the Prem of you remove the usual top 6, they're by far the best team we've played this season and of our 9 consecutive wins the best teams are Forest and Huddersfield, a team 6 points behind us and a team who are bottom of the Prem and only won 2 of their 26 league games. 

This whole run seems to be going to a lot of heads when our fans are now expecting pundits and average celebrity fans to choose us over a team who are 7th in the Prem and have beaten Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool this season. 

Yep. Being realistic, we have beaten teams we “should” beat. It is still a great run because the championship is so tough but we have been the stronger teams in most of these 15 games unbeaten. Just been professional enough to see the games through.

Wolves are 7th in the prem and probably only going to get better. They have talent you’d see at bigger clubs abroad like a Valencia or Inter Milan. Wolves would compete very well against sides like that. They are favourites for sure and with all things considered I’d probably have them down to go through. Not saying we can’t but we will be up against it at times. 

All that said, Lawrenson is a clown. Can’t stand the guy. Merson comes next for me though much further behind in pundits I dislike

People getting angry when a pundit predicts us to lose - there's a shock... Why does anyone care? I take very little notice of what 'Lawro' has to say, he probably hasn't watched us once this season. 

Surely most neutrals are predicting a Wolves win though? They've got a great chance of winning the cup this year, they'll play a full strength side and they've got quality players.

Still think we've got half a chance if we keep playing like we have recently though!

• Admin
12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Has us to lose on Sunday. Has he ever bet for us, the miserable dour git!

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't get why people are angry that no-one is calling us to win

24 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

To be honest I think he is right,

Agree, so pundits are predicting a team in the top division and 7th place will beat a team in the second division and in 5th place

Hardly rocket science

Wolves are 7th in PL, have beaten Tottenham, Chelsea in League as well as Liverpool in the Cup. Drew with the other 3 of the big 6 once each this season too.

They won this League well last season, and have strengthened further, plus their good League season as well as their ambitions moving forward mean they will be targeting the FA Cup, not just as a rare chance to win a trophy but as the first trophy to build the club, to help them fulfil their big ambitions. Hence no large scale rotation of players is likely- would have thought 2-3 changes at most. Oh and they can boss the ball or counter, in the case of the latter especially they will be very dangerous being away from home.

In that respect, why would we be favourites? I know we are on a sensational run and we definitely have a chance at home plus the fact we play well v better sides, one off tie etc, but yeah in what world are we favourites? It's not like we have been tipped to lose 3-0 or anything (apart from by the odd celeb fan).

Archived