IGNORED

Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers FA Cup Match Day

Septic Peg

3 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Premier league ref for Premier league team that's why we didn't get one never mind the other definite handball for a penalty 

I noticed he was laughing and joking with his Wolves Prem boys during the match .

Sort of , don’t worry lads , I’ve got this .

Still I’m not complaining too much we came out of the match with a lot of credit, didn’t get asswhipped and can now concentrate fully on the promotion campaign.

Well done to all. 

I thought their goal was fairly avoidable, but they were much the better side in the first half overall or should I say took over after some even phases at the start. Had it gone 2-0 when they hit post, game over?

Second half, very good though. We built pressure well, we bossed the ball, we controlled most of the 2nd half- just lacked that finish, because I thought we deserved extra time. The changes were pretty good as well. Shame Smith and Walsh injured and Pack wasn't fully 100% was he, but I don't think it was a game for Morrell. I know he did well in the previous rounds and the experience will benefit him but this wasn't really a game for him from the off IMO. 

Even though we lost, this performance should bolster confidence further for the run-in.

Decent effort today, the right way to lose if there is such a thing.  We had the wrong shape in the first half and LJ got it right in the second, the subs helping to change the game.  Again impressed with the centre halves, thought Brownhill was strong too and Da Silva did well going forward but is more suited to a wing back than a full back job.  Wolves are an impressive team and we gave them a tough game.  On we go.

18 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

And I didn't see anything in the ref's performance when we played QPR to suggest that he favoured us. From where we are now I'm happy that we got 2 extra points in the league then rather than have to replay against Wolves.

No that ref was just total shit and agreed on the 2 extra points. 

Honestly don’t think refs favour teams but they do make honest mistakes. It’s a horrible job. 

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Decent effort today, the right way to lose if there is such a thing.  We had the wrong shape in the first half and LJ got it right in the second, the subs helping to change the game.  Again impressed with the centre halves, thought Brownhill was strong too and Da Silva did well going forward but is more suited to a wing back than a full back job.  Wolves are an impressive team and we gave them a tough game.  On we go.

Thought Da Silva was really good today against quality opposition. He was a little unlucky with the goal too.

The last time we lost to Wolves was a body blow, that, with hindsight, put the kibosh on the rest of the season. This time around, our second half performance means that while we lost, we ended the game almost on a high, and certainly taking a lot of credit from the match.

After matching a top quality Wolves team, I don't think there is anything to fear from our main rivals during the run in. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pack undoubtedly helped wrest some control of the midfield- Pack for Morrell undoubtedly made a big difference IMO.

I was surprised to see Morrell and Brownhill midfield when the teams announced.

I think Morrell and Brownhill had to play a bit differently today without Pack....neither want to be the holder.  But Pack’s injury meant LJ didn’t want to play him...so compromised.  I thought Morrell was neat and tidy and plays progressive passes that move us forward.  He didn’t do anything wrong, but LJ fully justified in giving Pack a gamble in the re-shuffled diamond.  Great experience for Morrell up against Saiss, an experienced midfielder (ex-Angers).

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Morrell and Brownhill had to play a bit differently today without Pack....neither want to be the holder.  But Pack’s injury meant LJ didn’t want to play him...so compromised.  I thought Morrell was neat and tidy and plays progressive passes that move us forward.  He didn’t do anything wrong, but LJ fully justified in giving Pack a gamble in the re-shuffled diamond.  Great experience for Morrell up against Saiss, an experienced midfielder (ex-Angers).

Yeah true- neither is a natural holder as you say. Morrell will be better for the experience for sure, but getting Pack on at that time was a must- kudos to LJ for matching up in the back 3 as well, though we have the players to do it vs a team like Wolves who are a very good side and more than that so used to the formation- it was brave!

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Edit. saw MotD and he was pretty complimentary about LJ.

I think they did a course of some kind together at some point mate and are actually pretty friendly off the pitch. I also think they both understand they are both very competitive on it and leave it where it should stay. 

6 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Honestly don’t think refs favour teams but they do make honest mistakes. It’s a horrible job. 

Thought Da Silva was really good today against quality opposition. He was a little unlucky with the goal too.

I thought DaSilva looked nervous. To be fair though, Doherty was way better than I expected. 

It was a perfect defeat really and shouldn't have any bearing on Norwich 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I thought DaSilva looked nervous. To be fair though, Doherty was way better than I expected. 

Da Silva was out of his depth today. He was out weak link in the first half and Wolves focused their play down that side to expose his weaknesses. In hindsight Kelly would have been the better player to play their today as he is better defensively. 

Da Silva was at fault for their goal to be honest. He was far too lightweight.

Incredibly proud of that performance.

First half I think we showed them too much respect but having watched the game back on TV since I got home we wasn't as bad in the 1st as I thought we were. 

I think the hand ball rules must be different in the premier League.

Second half we bossed the game but it just wouldn't drop for us. Wolves defended excellently.

I'm certain we should have had a penalty as Fammy was pulled down in the box at a corner, the replay confirmed that. 

All in all if your going to go out of the cup then that's the perfect way to go out. Feeling as if we could have won the game especially if a few decisions had gone our way. Leaving the stadium feeling proud of our efforts and the way we showcased ourselves to a national audience.

Atkinson really is a poor ref.

Wolves fan in peace - that was very close, City deserved at least a draw for that 2nd half performance. We just got lucky breaks with the ball several times 2nd half, when it was in the box. Could easily have got a couple of goals with a bit of luck.

I was very pleased with the 1st half performance, but concerned with how easily we were overrun in midfield 2nd half. Hard to explain why there was such a turnaround in performance but 2nd half wolves just seemed 2nd best to every ball. Was Marlon Pack the difference?

Key moments too - I'm not sure it was a sending off, for me Jiminez goes down way to easily though there may have been a slight tug there. Handballs - Doherty's handball should for me have been a penalty, don't think the others could be helped, but again City should have had one penalty because Doherty's hand was for me in an unnatural position even if there was no intent.

Also think there was a nasty foul first-half on a Wolves player (Dendoncker?) where there was a lunge-through. Reminded me of Danny Batth's sending off last year - some you get some you don't.

Your build-up play, mobility, and individual creativity second-half was superb, you would have thought City were the team from the higher division. Just lacked luck and finishing.

Credit where it is due - we put up a solid performance against a VERY good Wolves side. I was impressed with them at the gate last year - when they were the stand out team in the division. In all honesty on the balance of play that day and again on Sunday they deserved to beat us. They have a team full of big, strong and very talented players - for which credit has to go to their manager who has done a fantastic job in such a short space of time. If they keep progressing at this rate then they will be a top 6 side every season and challenging for trophies.

As for us - it was another good performance. I do worry that we can't score enough goals, and when you look at the top 4 teams in the Championship they all score goals for fun which is why they are where they are. Considering we still have to play pretty much all of the teams in the top half of the table its a concern where the goals will come to give us enough points to sustain our top 6 challenge. That said Middlesbrough and Derby are in the same boat as us - 3 of us fighting for 2 places with perhaps Preston coming out of the pack to mount a challenge.

But take nothing away from our journey so far this year, our defence is our strong point, no doubt about it. Webster is a massive talent who can only keep on improving, and alongside Kalas who is without doubt our standout defender they make a solid center half partnership. Just hope we can do something to keep hold of him on loan for another season - or even push the boat out Mr L?

2 hours ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Wolves fan in peace - that was very close, City deserved at least a draw for that 2nd half performance. We just got lucky breaks with the ball several times 2nd half, when it was in the box. Could easily have got a couple of goals with a bit of luck.

I was very pleased with the 1st half performance, but concerned with how easily we were overrun in midfield 2nd half. Hard to explain why there was such a turnaround in performance but 2nd half wolves just seemed 2nd best to every ball. Was Marlon Pack the difference?

Key moments too - I'm not sure it was a sending off, for me Jiminez goes down way to easily though there may have been a slight tug there. Handballs - Doherty's handball should for me have been a penalty, don't think the others could be helped, but again City should have had one penalty because Doherty's hand was for me in an unnatural position even if there was no intent.

Also think there was a nasty foul first-half on a Wolves player (Dendoncker?) where there was a lunge-through. Reminded me of Danny Batth's sending off last year - some you get some you don't.

Your build-up play, mobility, and individual creativity second-half was superb, you would have thought City were the team from the higher division. Just lacked luck and finishing.

Thanks for the comments, think your spot on about Pack making the difference, Morrel is a young academy player who has only played a couple of times and although was not bad he does not have the experience or game of pack. Once Pack was on Brownhill is able to play further up the pitch who is very busy and combines well with the other players. Pack is Marmite to some on this forum, but to me we always look a much better side when he is pulling the strings, he would normally of started but was carrying an injury. Should be said Matty Taylor also did well, he like an annoying wasp who just keeps buzzing around and upsetting you.

10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Thanks for the comments, think your spot on about Pack making the difference, Morrel is a young academy player who has only played a couple of times and although was not bad he does not have the experience or game of pack. Once Pack was on Brownhill is able to play further up the pitch who is very busy and combines well with the other players. Pack is Marmite to some on this forum, but to me we always look a much better side when he is pulling the strings, he would normally of started but was carrying an injury. Should be said Matty Taylor also did well, he like an annoying wasp who just keeps buzzing around and upsetting you.

You’re spot on that Pack is a marmite player amongst City fans.

Unfortunately those that didn’t rate Skuse are the ones who don’t rate Pack.......:disapointed2se:

Both of them did/do play the same but unspectacular role and its unfortunate that some fans can’t appreciate what a crucial role they play. 

8 hours ago, mozo said:

Doherty has always been a thorn in our side.  A couple of seasons back he was looking like going out of contract and I thought he’d be a great player for us.  Can play either side too.  He’s really kicked on though since start of last season.

17 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Have you seen the game where Man Utd ended the Invincible's unbeaten run?

Referee was awful and all in favour of one side. Bias definitely happens.

6 hours ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Great words to hear (read!)

Yesterday was the second best I've felt after leaving the ground seeing us lose - the first is Man City away last season.

Absolutely agree we deserved a goal minimum from that second half, not sure it was down to Pack being a difference maker, but more showing the difference in quality at this point in time between him and Morrell (who he replaced at HT) who has only had a handful of appearances above League 2.

4 or 5 times in your box it fell or bounced kindly for a defender and I was gutted when Fielding missed his chance at the end.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Have you seen the game where Man Utd ended the Invincible's unbeaten run?

Referee was awful and all in favour of one side. Bias definitely happens.

Of course but like I said I don’t believe there is bias - but they are human so make mistakes. Sometimes bad ones. 

Archived