IGNORED

Cosmopolitan Squad

Port Said Red

I know we have probably had even more cosmopolitan squads in recent times, but I am trying to think of a time when the 1st team squad had such a variety of countries represented, but looked so cohesive. We have: -

1 Australian

1 Austrian

1 Czech 

1 Finn

1 Italian

1 Irishman (country represented rather than by birth)

1 Senegalese

1 Swede

Adelakan might get added to this list if he was ever to choose to represent Nigeria, but he was born in Hackney. Have I missed anyone?

It must make for interesting stories in the dressing room and on their travels.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I know we have probably had even more cosmopolitan squads in recent times, but I am trying to think of a time when the 1st team squad had such a variety of countries represented, but looked so cohesive. We have: -

1 Australian

1 Austrian

1 Czech 

1 Finn

1 Italian

1 Senegalese

1 Swede

Adelakan might get added to this list if he was ever to choose to represent Nigeria, but he was born in Hackney. Have I missed anyone?

have you missed anyone?......do English and welsh count?

For all the talk of football being a universal language, there is one thing that jumps out at me there - I’m not sure about Fam, but I’m 100% that all the others upon joining spoke perfect (or good in Pisanos case) English. That has to help massively, not only with on field play but also with the social aspect on integrating with the rest of the squad. Never underestimate how important communication is - after all, in his year here Kodjia never mastered the phrase “offside”.....

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

1 Australian

1 Austrian

1 Czech 

1 Finn

1 Italian

1 Senegalese

1 Swede

I daresay that most Championship and PL squads are of a similar cosmopolitan make up.

The days of squads being made up largely of British and Irish players are long gone.

In 1997 and 1998 we had squads containing players from Canada, Barbados, Denmark (2), Sweden, Hungary, Moldova, Italy, Netherlands, Nigeria, Libya, Bermuda, Grenada, Norway ... etc...those times seemed more cosmopolitan than now in terms of our players and we had the glorious John Ward promotion with many of them, so they must have been cohesive...but it’s an interesting debate...

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

in the 70s we had a team comprising (roughly) 

4 Bristol

3 England

4 Scotland

That was cohesive!

I have just passed the section of the Harry Dolman book which deals with the Peter Doherty era as Manager. He brought in a lot of Irish players and the rumours were that there was a divide between Catholics and Protestants in the dressing room. You would have thought that an Irishman himself he might have taken that into consideration.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Shall we start a list of players who have broken through this season that people have said this about in the past? 

Was a tongue in cheek comment. I don't mind at all that the club brings the players through slowly and patiently. 

To start your list:

1. Eliasson

2. COD

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

in the 70s we had a team comprising (roughly) 

4 Bristol

3 England

4 Scotland

That was cohesive!

It’s interesting that the number of Scottish players have decreased in recent years. A lot of good players came to City in the 60s/ 70s, but the standard there has decreased dramatically 

We have also sold on/released for varying reasons, in the last couple of seasons, 2 Swedes, 2 Germans, 1 French/Ivory Costian?, 1 Bosnian, 1 Icelandic person, and probably others I have forgotten.

I love the fact that we have used a greater number of nations, it makes our squad look more progressive.  I am happy to see local lads come through the academy as well, but have never had this thing that we should aim to make most of our squad locals, which gets bandied around from time to time. 

Having said that, as has already been mentioned we had a lot of different nationalities in the late 90s, and even in the late 70s we had a Dutchman, a Finn and a Swedish GK (although Jan Moller may have joined us in 1980 thinking about it.)

And who could ever forget our only Slovakian player, Peter Styvar?

Or Polish Jackie, one of our best ever for the short time he was here?

Archived