IGNORED

Running shoes

formerly known as ivan

6 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Anyone can recommend decent footwear for running @formerly known as ivan but in reality you will need to do a gait analysis to understand your foot pronation. Thus finding trainers that are suited for you. 

Sound advice. I usually just go for what technology is used, never been properly analysed for running shoes

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Go to a running shop for sure mate and get analysed properly. You’ll do yourself all sorts of problems using the wrong type and it’s worth spending a few extra quid to get something that is right.

Does it really make a big difference  B86?Mine were cheap off the shelf jobs but seem ok.Is there a bigger risk if injury with cheaper ones?

52 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Does it really make a big difference  B86?Mine were cheap off the shelf jobs but seem ok.Is there a bigger risk if injury with cheaper ones?

It’s more about the type of shoe than the price. Some people over pronate and some under pronate and some are neutral.

If you get the opposite type you basically make the problem twice as bad and this can cause you injuries and pain. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s more about the type of shoe than the price. Some people over pronate and some under pronate and some are neutral.

If you get the opposite type you basically make the problem twice as bad and this can cause you injuries and pain. 

It's not really a issue, numerous studies have been done and gait analyse simply does not work any better than flipping a coin. Always go with what feels comfortable - I looked into this a while back, I only run 5k's with the odd 10k and my times are not great, but it's not due to my shoes, just age and... well lack of miles put in nowadays.

https://greatist.com/move/running-shoes-gait-analysis

9 hours ago, Fiale said:

It's not really a issue, numerous studies have been done and gait analyse simply does not work any better than flipping a coin. Always go with what feels comfortable - I looked into this a while back, I only run 5k's with the odd 10k and my times are not great, but it's not due to my shoes, just age and... well lack of miles put in nowadays.

https://greatist.com/move/running-shoes-gait-analysis

Each to their own. I under pronate quite strongly so wearing shoes that are designed to correct over pronation would be extremely uncomfortable and definitely not going to do me or my ailing joints any good after hundreds of miles! 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Each to their own. I under pronate quite strongly so wearing shoes that are designed to correct over pronation would be extremely uncomfortable and definitely not going to do me or my ailing joints any good after hundreds of miles! 

That's true, the studies tend to say to wear what is comfortable as most injuries come from ill fitting shoes rather than issues with gait - but your right,  if you feel better more comfortable with a specific type of shoe then it makes sense to go for them. 

On 17/02/2019 at 10:01, formerly known as ivan said:

Any runners on here that can recommend decent running shoes?

Currently have the Nike Epic React Flyknit and just noticed they have released the Epic React 2 which I may invest in.

Before doing so I thought I would see what others recommended.

Cheers

In my experience, brand doesn't matter. I've bought expensive Asics and Addidas from proper running shops and I've bought cheaper Nikes or Karimors from Sports Direct. They all use the same mesh type material up top, it's the sole that's important.

I'd recommend going to a running shop and trying the treadmill film thing they do, they can tell you what issues affect your style i.e. you might invert your feet, or be heel heavy. This then let's you know what type of trainer will best suit you.

Once I discovered my issue was heels (which in turn caused shin splints) I bought trainers with compensated heel cushioning. First pair was expensive but after that I buy the sports direct equivalent. Had zero issues since.

Sports Direct have a much quicker and easier guide for running shoes its a machine on the floor (well the Yate shop has one), find out what your foot is and buy online much cheaper Wiggle always has offers and discounts for new customers. I went to the shop by the Eye Hospital "Easy Runner" was very disappointed they just got me to run outside for twenty seconds and then tried just to sell me the same pair of Adidas, they said I was a normal runner and didn't put me anywhere near their gait machine! I'm a big fan of Adidas Ultraboost but my latest pair I was quite disappointed by as the fit seems to have changed quite a bit. I would always spend at least £75 anything less you aren't getting a decent shoe imo, having said that the running shops tell me the more expensive ones £100+ just have a lot more cushioning that my running style doesn't need.

Archived