IGNORED

Diedhiou

Spike

27 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I saw a good striker crowded out by 3 excellent and big central defenders. Aiming it long at him would've been tactically suicidal.

edit......so we didn't.

That is a fair point though. He won't get a tougher game all season than up against Boly, Bennett and Coady

6 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Ball control poor , movement poor , goal record poor 

I'd disagree with that last bit. His goal ratio is fine as a supporting striker which is what until this season he has been. The issue has come with our new formation and style where he's played as a lone striker. 

As a love striker you need to do at least one of two things:

1) Hold the ball up well and play the rest of the team in around you and score the odd goal or

2) Be prolific and end the season with at least 20 goals. 

Fammy doesn't fit either of those, he's a supporting striker at best. He's not consistent enough in his control and ability to hold up the ball and he's certainly not going to put 20 on by the end of the season. 

8 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Virtually 0 passes in his direction first half. Works tirelessly, has had a hand in a 1/4 of all our league goals. Is selfless and passionate and very effective at championship level. His role is not just about goals. 

So with everyone else getting in on the game why was he not getting these passes? Because he was static. The commentators even said he was static most of the game and if he's not getting into position to receive the ball then it's pointless playing it to him. 

He's has a role in 1/4 of our goals, sounds impressive but put that into context... he's our only striker in the pitch,the only player to be allowed to stay up the pitch and the only player who is in a position to attack every ball played into the box which we do a lot. 

If you play a system where you only use one striker 1/4 is not all that great of a stat, it's pretty much what you'd expect at the very least, especially from a team that don't score a lot of goals in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Whether he is what we need, he is what we have. We got countless crosses. in, and more than once he was being tugged and pulled by their defence. Just a day it did not run for us, we created more than enough to have scored.Pack twice, Desilva, Taylor all missed decent chances. 

Had the big calls some matches recently, just not today, as well. A handball and a foul on Fammy could both been called as pens. I thought we played some lovely stuff second half, just not our day. It happens.

I'm not saying we're bad or that we weren't unlucky. I think the performance today was fantastic, especially in the second half, my point was purely that these games are where we need that big game striker. 

I personally think the lads were fantastic today, we just needed that long ball option to give Wolves something else to worry about, when we weren't playing it they knew all they had to do was mark the simple passes to put us under pressure, they also knew Fammy was never the threat they had to worry about. 

7 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Great idea. Unbeaten run of 14 games comes to an end with a spirited loss against a top half premiership side... let’s come online and slag off a key part of our side.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

8 goals as the main striker in a top six team in February isn’t good enough ....

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You weren’t whinging when he banged in that penalty a few days ago.....

Ask missing the point in making. I'm not "sagging him off", I'm not moaning, I'm making an assessment based on his performances in our new system. 

With regards to the penalty I did say it took courage so I assumed you didn't even read my post properly? However, any one of our players could have scored that penalty and in all fairness a striker shouldn't be missing penalties. 

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

22 goals in 48 starts for City - that’s a good return and especially for someone who has basically been playing a thankless task of up top on his own.

He is a good championship striker - no more no less. And I said earlier he was out of his depth today. 

I agree, it's a good return, it's abrogation great for a supporting striker, the issue is of he's the supporting striker then we're missing what we actually need, the lone striker. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I like Fammy, but I'm this set up he's not up to the level he needs to be for that role. 

My assessment of Fammy is not based on today alone, it's based on his performances since he became the lone man up front. If tomorrow we were to go 4-4-2 I'd say he's certainly good enough, because he'd be able to do what he does best, but that's not the role he's playing and the role he is playing he is not a promotion based level. 

The same thing happened last season, some fans said "*insert name* isn't good enough in this position/system" and got abused because it was said when we were second. They got replies like "oh yeah, he's not good enough but we're in automatic promotion right now" etc and then what happened? We bombed down and those people were proven right. 

It's very easy to judge a player as good enough when the team is doing well and to put down fans who find a negative assessment but it's identifying those problem areas and acting on them that makes a good coach become a great coach. Just look at LJ today, he's shown tactical knowledge changing up our team to counter Wolves set up that sedated is in the first half. 

If LJ was asked if he would choose Fammy over any striker from the teams in the top 6 right now I think he'd say no, but if the option to do a swap deal was 100% realistic he'd swap in a heartbeat and I think any realistic fan knows this. 

40 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

He has a thankless task up front on his own, taking a battering from opposing defenders. I think you underestimate him.

He is a player well matched for whence he came, the French leagues, where it is far less physical and he would once more look impressive in his lone role, IMHO not up to physicality of the English game but his positioning in the opponents box is where he is totally lacking.

Let me put it another way, I bet Mr Flint who has not been the success he was with us at Middlesborough must be looking forward to a quiet night.

5 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Yeah you do , what’s your opinion on his overall game, control, movement etc?

Sometimes good, sometimes bad. He’s a good player at this level overall - nothing special. He won’t go any higher because he’s too inconsistent but he’s certainly good enough for us. 

If he was poor he wouldn’t have such a good record.

12 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

You do realise we are in the top 6?

Yes, I missed "other" in my statement but the point stands. If LJ was given the chance to swap Fammy for any striker in the other top 6 teams Fammy would not be here because those teams have real quality in those positions and they are our rivals for promotion. It's all good and well saying he's "good enough for us" as some do but that really depends on what we're aiming to achieve. If it's promotion then we need to look at the teams we're going up against and if you compare him to them then he really isn't. Another way to look at it is if we were to be promoted would Fammy be good enough then? There is an argument that many of our squad would be good enough to compete in the Prem, we saw that today, but Fammy isn't one of them. The other top 6 teams all have a potential Premier League striker amongst them, with some of them having already had Premier League experience.

10 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Sometimes good, sometimes bad. He’s a good player at this level overall - nothing special. He won’t go any higher because he’s too inconsistent but he’s certainly good enough for us. 

If he was poor he wouldn’t have such a good record.

I'd agree if he was part of a front two, I love him in that set up as it's where he shines but that's the whole point of this thread, he's not good enough as a lone striker in the current system as he can't do what we need him to do consistently.

7 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Just listened to ray houghton, summing the game up , said fams movement was non existent, and for £5 million you should expect a bit more, he was up against it today admittedly but he has to learn how to use his size to give centre half’s a harder time

This is what I was talking about earlier. Someone said he received no passes and that's when you need to look at a player and say "why? Why isn't he receiving any passes and the answer is there... no movement, static. It wasn't that he was marked out, it was that he made no effort to get into space unless the ball was coming into the area. For a lone striker playing the hold and play position, he offered nothing to his teammates to allow him to collect the ball in the first place. He couldn't give and go because he never made himself space to receive the ball.

He was up against a very good player in Coady today who has kept better premier league strikers quiet this season. Let’s not pick on any of the side they’ve all been Instrumental in our recent run.  

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Clearly he is - 22 from 48 starts at City. 

Not sure where you got those number, he's 23 in 64 for City in all competitions.

9 in 28 games this season - 0.321
14 in 36 last season - 0.388 goals per game

his goals per game ratio has dropped this season compared to last and last season he was part of a forward 2 which is his best role. Simply put he's scored less goals per game as the only striker than he did with another striker who scored 21 in 52 games.

Aso to compare to Ligue 2 which is a much less physical division and much lower quality of football:

22 in 37 in Ligue 2 which is 0.594

It just goes to show that whilst he can score goals that's not his game, he's a support striker and in a system where you're the only striker you need to be hitting at least 20 a season or you're relying on the midfield to find those extra goals.

33 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'd disagree with that last bit. His goal ratio is fine as a supporting striker which is what until this season he has been. The issue has come with our new formation and style where he's played as a lone striker. 

As a love striker you need to do at least one of two things:

1) Hold the ball up well and play the rest of the team in around you and score the odd goal or

2) Be prolific and end the season with at least 20 goals. 

Fammy doesn't fit either of those, he's a supporting striker at best. He's not consistent enough in his control and ability to hold up the ball and he's certainly not going to put 20 on by the end of the season. 

So with everyone else getting in on the game why was he not getting these passes? Because he was static. The commentators even said he was static most of the game and if he's not getting into position to receive the ball then it's pointless playing it to him. 

He's has a role in 1/4 of our goals, sounds impressive but put that into context... he's our only striker in the pitch,the only player to be allowed to stay up the pitch and the only player who is in a position to attack every ball played into the box which we do a lot. 

If you play a system where you only use one striker 1/4 is not all that great of a stat, it's pretty much what you'd expect at the very least, especially from a team that don't score a lot of goals in the first place. 

I'm not saying we're bad or that we weren't unlucky. I think the performance today was fantastic, especially in the second half, my point was purely that these games are where we need that big game striker. 

I personally think the lads were fantastic today, we just needed that long ball option to give Wolves something else to worry about, when we weren't playing it they knew all they had to do was mark the simple passes to put us under pressure, they also knew Fammy was never the threat they had to worry about. 

Ask missing the point in making. I'm not "sagging him off", I'm not moaning, I'm making an assessment based on his performances in our new system. 

With regards to the penalty I did say it took courage so I assumed you didn't even read my post properly? However, any one of our players could have scored that penalty and in all fairness a striker shouldn't be missing penalties. 

I agree, it's a good return, it's abrogation great for a supporting striker, the issue is of he's the supporting striker then we're missing what we actually need, the lone striker. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I like Fammy, but I'm this set up he's not up to the level he needs to be for that role. 

My assessment of Fammy is not based on today alone, it's based on his performances since he became the lone man up front. If tomorrow we were to go 4-4-2 I'd say he's certainly good enough, because he'd be able to do what he does best, but that's not the role he's playing and the role he is playing he is not a promotion based level. 

The same thing happened last season, some fans said "*insert name* isn't good enough in this position/system" and got abused because it was said when we were second. They got replies like "oh yeah, he's not good enough but we're in automatic promotion right now" etc and then what happened? We bombed down and those people were proven right. 

It's very easy to judge a player as good enough when the team is doing well and to put down fans who find a negative assessment but it's identifying those problem areas and acting on them that makes a good coach become a great coach. Just look at LJ today, he's shown tactical knowledge changing up our team to counter Wolves set up that sedated is in the first half. 

If LJ was asked if he would choose Fammy over any striker from the teams in the top 6 right now I think he'd say no, but if the option to do a swap deal was 100% realistic he'd swap in a heartbeat and I think any realistic fan knows this. 

Right now, how would him use him, if at all? 

Archived